Epic vs Steam sale

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Martigen, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Whelp, another year of an underwhelming Steam winter sale. The discounts are meh, the added 'value' is useless emoticons and 'chat room effects', and -- for my currency -- I have to spend $72AU to get a discount voucher of.. *drum roll* $7.50AU.

Compare this to Epic: The discounts are deep, they don't have any 'value' fluff (and don't need it), and I get an $10US (approx $14.50AU) voucher just for having an account. Don't have to spend anything. They then give you another $10US voucher for every game you buy.

If I spend $72AU on Steam for say 3 games, I get a $7.50AU discount.
    If I spend $72AU on Epic for say 3 games, I get $43AU in discounts.

Include the $10US ($14.50AU) voucher just for having an account, and this becomes $57AU of savings vs... $7.50AU in Steam for the same money spent.

And again Epic keeps giving you another $10US voucher for every game you buy! And these stack with the discounts. Additionally the Steam coupon expires 2nd Jan. The Epic coupons can be used until May 1, so you can actually save a discount to use for up to three months later. That's service for you.

Finally, Epic is giving away a free game every day for the next 12 days starting yesterday.

Valve is in trouble. This is how you do a sale!

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    You still need to pay at least 15$ to be able to use the 10$ coupon. So you pay 5$ if you chose to buy a 15$ game.

3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    meh i picked up some games i wanted and the rest can wait i got rdr2 to play for another 100 hours.

4. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    It's for different audiences. The ones that will mostly benefit from the Epic side are the ones who mostly use their launcher and barely use Steam (I do assume that there has to be a number of people in that boat out there). I can see why Epic is going 'ham', a lot less people use their platform compared to Steam (purely in terms of numbers). Of course I'm sure Valve could have done better, but Steam doesn't need that much incentive to attract people; they're already there by the multi-millions. Not the case with Epic and their launcher as a distribution platform.

They're sort of the new kids on the block in that regard (as a distribution platform I mean). I'm not saying it's bad they're doing it though, good for them if they can offer good prices during their sale, but frankly it's one of only few good ways they have to try and build their audience over the coming months and years. If they give a good impression with this Winter Sale then maybe it'll have a good long-term impact for them. But Valve doesn't have to do that to a large extent at this point, just sprinkling some usual 'Steam-styled' sales for each main yearly events is still enough for them.

On a side note I'm seeing 'meh' offers on both sides really, not just on Steam.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well why not save even more cash.
    Make 10 different EPIC accounts ,$10 coupon for each account =$100
    Then buy some games in each account,oh the Christmas saving are incredible at EPIC.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    any advises for epic stores game to get? only have control and metro exodus

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Do we really need this thread?

There's already multiple topics about Epic and Steam. Seems like the same "One good, one bad" debate could be kept in any of those locations.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

we can take time to marvel how bad ms is compared to both ;p.

Kolt and XenthorX like this.
  9. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Wut? I have 351 games on Steam. I use Steam a lot to stay in touch with friends. But I absolutely will buy games from Epic if the incentive is there.

You could do that :) Especially as -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but most Epic games don't have DRM (unless like RDR2 it's got a launcher). I have Outer Worlds from Epic, and it doesn't need EGS loaded. So yeah you could make multiple accounts, but games DRM free, and not need to login to those accounts to play them I guess.

This isn't about which platform is better, it's an observation and commentary on the winter sales.

10. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Tbh that voucher thing for each game bought is super good, but it does further prove that Epic don't do much other than throw money at things. Free games are free games though, and you can't complain about that.

11. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Valve is not in trouble at all considering EGS has only a handful of "ok" games at most with a sprinkling of a couple good ones. That and their reputation is soured and a lot of people refuse to do business with them. Most (not all) users that I've seen comment are saying that they are just using EGS for the free games and sales, and going back to Steam for everything else. Personally I am not touching Epic regardless of what's free or discounted. I would rather pay full price on Steam than touch Epic at all, and that's what I've been doing. I have disposable income to spend and I will chose where I want to spend it based on variable factors. Steam, GoG, Origin, and uPlay will continue to get my support and money while Epic gets a big fat 0. Some people in this world aren't enticed by silly ploys to get our business while ignoring the rest of what's going on. Sorry.

This is all I'm going to say on this subject as it's only liable to start arguments.

Yes, I saw that video and completely agree. Technically speaking UWP/Microsoft store is worse. Ethically speaking, I don't think so.. but I am personally avoiding both at all costs.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, Steam is stale as ever, but then I've seen their sales from the first one and have a catalogue of games longer than I can manage. That being said, I've been keeping an eye out for Assassin's Creed Odyssey for a while now and it's £19.99 on Epic and with the £10 voucher, it only cost me £9.99. Also, Detroit: Become Human is £29.99 so you can pick it up for £19.99.

These £10 vouchers are great but yeah, you have to pick a game that is priced over £15 and some are just shy of £15, clever but to be expected. Still, some decent bargains to be had. Also, a free game each day, not too bad.

Overall, I find the Epic store sale to be a better deal.

And, honestly, I think gaming is heading a new direction in the upcoming years. Either game streaming or subscribtion gaming, like Xbox game pass or similar, where you sub to a service and have access to a vast catalogue of games.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Cool story bros. Sales are always a mixed bag anyways. I still won't go to EGS since... they have nothing I particularly want and can't wait for a year until they're on steam. For me it's as simple as that.
    Wake me up when they have a killer game I need to play on day 1.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Cool story bro.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My saying.

QFT. In before close.

16. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    where do i want my library at ? tough choice.
    ignoring exclusivity and other crap aside for a minute...

Steam is a platform. EGS is a launcher. enough said ;/
    every time these topics will appear, il make the same comment over and over :
    EGS is dead to me, and always will be.

Backstabak and Kolt like this.
  17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I honestly don't see the problem here. That's how competition works. In the end you know who benefits? We do. Valve will eventually have to respond.

By people I think you mean gamers. Developers are loving Epic. Valve has had a monopoly for 15 years, allowing them to charge whatever they want. This is changing now, and it means developers will make more money by going with other platforms, in turn investing into their games, in turn producing better products. There is literally no downside to this as a gamer. The backlash against Epic is... puzzling.

Nothing wrong with that. That's exactly where the ecosystem is right now.

You realise Valve owes you no loyalty? They're a business. They operate on what gives the the most profit, just like any other business. They give you and owe you nothing, and will sell your grandmother if it makes them money. You think Epic and Valve are different, but they are exactly the same.

I have games from all the platforms. They all share the same library on my drive :)

This is true, though will likely change in time.

Anyway I don't want this to go off topic. It was an observation at how Steam sales used to be good but are now Meh, and Epic has upped the Ante. As before I have 351 games on Steam and 3 on Epic at the moment. But I am thankful Epic is actually making 'Sale' actually mean 'Sale' again, and I am happy to support them if it means breaking Valve's monopoly and forcing their hand to actually innovate with value again. Everyone benefits from this, including those who don't like Epic. That's the irony -- you can hate them, but in future your game prices will be cheaper because of them.

18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    the only thing thats actually puzzlin is you are dismissin the month to month sometimes week to week mountin of evidence of exactly why there is backlash in the first place, yer im not gonna say you are comin across as an outright EGS shill cos you do make one or two good points but i will say its skirtin the edges. this forum had done this debate to death n startin this thread has only added another pointless addition to it that won't change anyones minds either for or against in the greater scheme of things.

let it die pls. we have far more interestin things to discuss than this endless black hole of a topic.

Backstabak and Kolt like this.
  19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I've lost interest on the Steam sales, most games nowadays come out half finished with DLC out of the wazoo a year or 2 later. Wanted to get Total War: Warhammer 2 but for the full experience I would ideally want all the DLC too which puts the price over 50 quid... Nice try! Having said that, I did pick up Two Point Hospital as I used to love Theme Hospital and was in the mood for a light management game. DLC isn't too expensive either and I can get that in the next sale if I feel like I want it.

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    The only issue I had with Epic was the lack of playtime counter. I simply have to have that. And they added one.

So I have literally no problem now with Epic. I'd like a jumplist, true, and achievements would be nice, but Epic is fine by me.

It all changed when they added or I found the playtime stat.