Six new games Announced with NVIDIA RTX Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Only games so far that is worth is metro exodus and control but performance tanks so much that even 500$ 2070 super becomes useless, of thats not a gimmick i dont know what is.

Legacy-ZA and Dragam1337 like this.
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, that's the thing. Ray tracing may be the future, but it is nowhere close to being ready today. As it stands, the most powerful consumer RTX product is only able to ray trace a few visual elements - to ray trace an entire scene in high resolution would require an order of magnitude more power. In short, RTX was release too soon; the small amount of ray tracing it can do hardly makes a difference and makes the feature look like a gimmick (and it doesn't help that it tanks performance).

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A couple of these games look pretty cool, but, as a showcase for RTX, they're totally underwhelming. I don't know how many times I need to say that flat shiny surfaces is not a good way to demonstrate the usefulness of ray tracing, yet, that's the only thing these games seem to use.

4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Warthunder Global Illumination you mean? Yeah is GPU agnostic and works on DX11 also. It doesn't use Tensor/RT cores, nor DX12 DXR.
    Similar to World of Tanks shadow ray tracing, using Intel Embree.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well it´s the only thing they can do to make the game run at acceptable frame rates... And it´s probably the cheapest way to add RTX support into a game...
    Let´s face it, this first implementation of RT it´s just for learning and a setup for bigger things in the future, i hope.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    And even if the list would include known games the implementation can be quite underwhelming. Just look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider and CoD:Modern Warfare, you hardly see the benefits.

Control is the only game where RTX combined with DLSS has really made a big difference and added a lot to the atmosphere. Quake II RTX also plays totally different now.

Undying likes this.
  7. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    However indeed what happened to all these games that supposed to support RT 14 months later. Even Wolfenstein Youngblood came out in July yet still no Ray Tracing 5 months later.
    From the list of 20 or so games barely a handful have ray tracing a year later.

And in the case of BF5 to make RT look better, DICE admitted that had to cripple the reflections they had by default on previous games using the Frostbite engine! (all way to Battlefront 1).

Dragam1337 and Undying like this.
  8. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    How about Skyrim SE RTX or Witcher 3 RTX, I would be down for that.

Netherwind, pharma and SamuelL421 like this.
  9. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Other than Minecraft, I think all of these titles are for the Chinese market. Not very compelling, but I guess most (all?) of us are not the intended audience.

10. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    F.E.A.R and Doom 3 please.

Netherwind likes this.

11. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Doom games did not appeal to me but F.E.A.R was superb, just loved the slow motion, never hear people talk about this game it deserves to be at the top of the list of old game :cool:

Have to stick with my RX570 4GB, but one day, ha!

Babel-17 and jbscotchman like this.
  13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well something faster than 1080TI without the RTX on the price tag would be what many gamer would have preferred.

I resized my statement. With GTX2080TI i wanted to say a GTX as fast as the 2080TI.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, very true... or preferably even faster. Which it could have been, had the gpu not had to have those rt cores.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol when i read some comments about rtx cards.
    I was able to sell my 1080 for a decent amount (wanted 11gb vram/WC),
    and all ti's i could find are same/more than i paid for an open box 2080 hybrid (620$).
    So far its faster than any 1080ti and about 30% faster than my 1080.
    Not sure where i wouldnt need to whine about rtx not being fast enough,
    and i never thought more than it being a "GTX" purchase.

Virtually all safety features you can have in cars are coming from german brands,
    and usually means you have to buy an A8/S class or 7 series to get it.
    And within about 5 to 10y you can normally find it in cars for "everyone".
    I see it the same with new features like RTX, that i never expect it to be usable for the masses,
    at least for another couple of gens/releases.

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI

The fact that the next console have ray tracing in my opinion is just because it was the hot word of the year and pure marketing.
    Every company was worried that the other would have it, so they all just put it in in some form or the other.

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I hope it's a typo on your part, or that's the most retarded thing i've heard... you say you wanted 11gb vram, but you upgraded to a 2080... which has 8gb vram... just like the 1080 you had before /facepalm

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    nope.
    priority was on WC, but the possible upgrade to a 4K screen was the reason i would have prefered getting a 1080ti over a 20xx card.
    but i would have run out of horsepower to do newer games in UHD (right now its only Ace Combat and old NFS/F1) and couldnt even find one for less than a watercooled 2080S would have cost, so i decided for a 20xx card.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Exactly.
    30% ! ... actually between 25% and 50% depending on the game.

For a 3-year period of time !!!
    People keep forgetting that, 1080 was launched in 2016. Freakin' three bloody years, and we get a measly 30% increase for a .... drum drum drum drum drum TSSSSS.... 30% increase in price !

I'm really shocked that there are people not outraged at this !!!

---
    Okay, fine, technology is slowing down, 30% might be the best that is possible, but at least offer it at the same price as last gen, or lower, not higher and higher and higher with every generation.
    Where are we going ? A high-end video-card in 2040 will cost more than a house !?

20. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    With Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice, nVidia has never delivered on the DLSS that was promoted by them. Maybe the developer had headaches trying to implement it, but imo nVidia was/is obligated to jump in and pick up the slack. A sequel is being advertised, so that's an added reason to hold everyone's feet to the fire, imo. Odd how no game reviewers see fit to take nVidia to task over this. My last three cards were both expensive, and from nVidia, so I think it's OK if I complain a bit. :) I held off on getting deep into the game as I really wanted to enjoy its IQ to the max, but now I'll just plunge in, as I'm reminded of it, and reminded of DLSS not going to happen. For reference purposes, this is what I went by way back when before buying the game, albeit I got it on sale: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/19/nvidia-rtx-ray-tracing-dlss-games-confirmed-3/
    The sequel: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/13/senuas-saga-hellblade-2-announced/

Edit: I read about the DLSS feature well before the date on that first article. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019