AMD and Industry Partners to Develop New Blockchain-based Gaming Platforms

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Before reading the article: :confused:
    After reading the article: :confused:

help me understand what gaming industry has to do with chain blocks?

geogan likes this.
  3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Me also, are we talking streaming rather than having the game data on a PC?

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Is this a new console or what?

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seems to me like streaming from decentralized source. But could be just having to download games through it, instead of having one huge server, I guess.

nikhil9989i likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Having read multiple articles on the topic - information is vague at best all over the place. Personally, I think it's bad news overall.
    Here is an example of a more or less decent article.

I think in reality, this all will fall down to more gambling / tick boxes in game such as "use your PC resources to generate Call of FortLeagueField Coin which you can spend on amazing skins e.t.c.".

I highly doubt anyone will use this for improvement of security / reliability / performance / distribution of resources. Most likely outcome and goal of all this will be - monetization.

pegasus1 likes this.
  7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    yeah, I don't see any decent outcome of it.

Best outcome would be developers being able to publish their games by using blockchain?
    Blockchain basically replaces database that platforms like Steam has to know who owns what.

Yet, there have to be some sort of platform... Guess we gonna have millions of them, all accessing the same chainblock..... Just like bitcoins

nikhil9989i and cryohellinc like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The way I read it due to the guru3d's article and the one @cryohellinc linked, I guess they want to put the blockchain into transactions, be it buying games (launching yet another store front for that), lootboxes, or other microtransactions, documented by the blockchain. In that, I understand why they want to do it, security, no frauding with buying skins on their marketplace etc.

But does one need that? I wouldn't. Certainly I would not make use of any of the qualities I see in that.
    And more on, imagine you have to calculate the blockchain for buying a CS skin down the road... yeah in 3 days it's available since the server still has to calculate the blockchain behind it? Or a game being unlocked only after the blockchain's calculated?
    Download a game in a blockchain for what use or advantage compared to current states? Doesn't make any sense.

Not that they use blockchain tech to secure game assets and hashes to see if people cheated (documented in the blockchain), but they try to force it into a payment system... again. The only relation to AMD is because they supply the server hardware... which is practically no connection to the blockchain gaming at all... even calling it gaming is at it's best, marketing bs because it's only gaming related content with blockchain payment.

cryohellinc likes this.
  9. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    BINGO!

I won with the diagonal row:
    Next-Gen - Crypto - Blockchain - Innovation - Security

What do I get?

nikhil9989i, schmidtbag and sverek like this.
  10. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    I cannot see why any gamer would need or want this!

nikhil9989i and jbscotchman like this.

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    So the company infamous for making 300W+ GPUs teams up with professional energy wasters...

nikhil9989i likes this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Blockchain is the underlying technology thats used by Crypto Currency, however it does not necessarily have to mean thats all it can ever be used for.
    Blockchain in general is a method to authenticate transactions without a central authority, creating a distributed transaction ledger.

It could be used for all sorts of other things, but I still don't really see the gaming connection either way.

nikhil9989i likes this.
  13. KazeGG

KazeGG Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    AMD GPUs might not be the best for gaming but great for mining blocks, it's profitable for AMD, of course they will push new block chain use cases, however far fetched. They also aim to capture more market shares in data centers, super computing arrays and consoles, not just HEDT/desktop PC.

14. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Not a super expert on "block chain" but no, I'm 99.99% sure it can't be used for that.

It can't well, it shouldn't be used like this either. If u want peer to peer data transfer use bittorrent. A block chain needs to download the entire chain to work properly, that makes for a really bad download platform.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess DRM could be implemented to check over a blockchain meaning u don't depend on a central server that could go down a few years after launch. I rather buy games without DRM but could be an interesting option.

15. You score teh pointz while you mine us teh coinz......I kid, but they are pretty sparse on details of what they will actually do. "Synergizing paradigms and actualizing high-performance e-solutions" is often talk for "waste a bunch of money on a project that won't pan out".......that may not be the case, but there is a lot of executive speak there.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I see it more along the lines of documenting actual purchases versus pirated versions. Game is only activated if blockchain is verified. Discount key sites will be sol. G2A's steep discount offerings are coming to a close when this becomes reality.

17. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    This is, of course, the answer. But the fact that all blockchain does is encrypt a spreadsheet cell means that any gaming company could have implemented this themselves at any time. And the fact that blockchain technology is free and open source means they could have done it for free.

nikhil9989i likes this.
  18. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    So embarrassing reading the answers here, I thought some of you would understand some of this tech jargon , but no , you are just like me, i have a block between my ears on this article :p

I now do see some have more between their ears than i do :D

nikhil9989i likes this.
  19. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Sounds like it's more about driving blockchain hype then using them to solve an actual need. You need the hype so investors get excited and give money to anyone doing something with the world "blockchain" in the title.

nikhil9989i likes this.
  20. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    stoped reading after the Blockchain buzzwords...