Best PCIe hardware based RAID controller (for Z390 and modern systems)

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Rakanoth, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Rakanoth

Rakanoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I bought a raid controller. It is "StarTech 2 Port PCIe Controller RAID controller". It is a Marvell based RAID controller. It does not function well. I could not configure it. I cannot enter the configuration by pressing ctrl + m after BIOS enumeration. I researched it a lot. Many people complained about similar problems. They also say it is a low profile RAID controller. Therefore I want a proper and fully functional RAID controller.

There are very specific reasons for why I need a PCIe based RAID controller. Mostly for research. So, please let us not discuss why I should NOT get one :) I also do not want to use motherboard's RAID controller.

My motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master. Would you please recommend me a proper RAID controller? The budget isn't important. What is of paramount importance is that it is fully compatible with modern motherboards and functions well.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. I second mbk1969. I own a 7101A, and like it very much. I would have liked the bootable one (7103) but i was not available at the time i needed it. Pretty good for not a lot of money.

Rakanoth likes this.
  4. Rakanoth

Rakanoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Thank you so much guys. Those LSI raid controllers also look good. I will decide after couple of weeks later.

jura11 likes this.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    It depends on what you want to achieve. For any minimum raid array (say 3 disks with raid5 or 2 disks with raid1) a software raid or dumb raid controller is more than sufficient I would say.
    For "real" raid arrays you surely would like SAS with either on card cache or ssd cache ... and lots of ports. :D