Intel CPUs: Ten-year plan to includes 1.4nm and a two-year cadence

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps it's a different transistor structure, and works at an absurdly low voltage.

Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    However, TSMC's 5nm does not equal Intel's 5nm - the densities can be quite different (ie transistors per mm^2)..... currently Intel has a higher density per mm for any given Xnm node. But yes, I'm not saying that Intel will be able to match the race against other fabs though.

3. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    If these goals aren't met with INTEL, PLAN B --------------------> Pour sugar in Lisa Su's gas tank & Vandalize TSMC production. ;-)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    fry178 likes this.
  4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    What a beautiful looking chart. Shame it won't go like that in reality.

fry178 likes this.

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Hahahaha! For now I will take Intel's word with a grain of salt. But with that said I'm glad they are so positive and I hope their plans work out.

Dimitrios1983 likes this.
  6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

7. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    In my opinion, that is one of the causes of the issues they are having. TSMC, by having a lower device density, are being more conservative and with the dimensions constantly shrinking I believe that is very important. I think they need to be more conservative at every subsequent generation. They can't just say we're going from 14 to 7 so we'll just half every dimension and off we go. Leakage and tunneling do not increase in a linear way so densities can't either. If I were Intel, I would step back a bit and decrease the density and proceed more conservatively.

Actually, the key to the process shrinkage roadmap is going to be lithography systems. They are already the primary limiting factor and there are two aspects to that. The first one is the physics of light. Dimensions of just a few nanometers are in the same range as wavelengths of light and reactions of light with a crystal lattice get "dicey" there, to put it in technical terms. That ties into the other factor - masking materials. There is a huge amount of work being done creating materials to use in photomasking that react to very small wavelengths of light and this is very challenging work. Photomasking is basis for how lithography machines work.

fry178 and HandR like this.
  8. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I will admit to being shocked that Intel doesn't have a new arc ready to release in light of AMD's recent success. I kept thinking, it's coming, they'll make a big announcement soon, but nope. I'm still not counting them out and proclaiming their doom. They have the money and now the kick in the pants, so it will be interesting to see what they do in the next few years. That said, AMD got my money for a 3700x and it's the first AMD CPU I've ever built with. If Ryzen 4K closes the small gaming advantage gap, then Intel is in even more trouble in the DIY build market. Still a lot of folks that I know going for the 9900K(S) series when making their final build decisions.

9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I was hoping that in ten years we might start seeing some totally new tech.
    They can only shrink so far... and that is not far from where they are now.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I did, system is currently mostly used for gaming. But if by the time DDR5 is released AMD is better I'll probably swap.
    I actually gained more FPS then I expected, upgrading from a 5820K @4.25Ghz to a 9900KS. Games have become so CPU bound lately :x

A swap to AMD was pretty much the same cost as I would've needed faster RAM.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    https://i.**********/44qqjwJN/UNTEL.jpg

What happened to 10+ :)

12. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I don't have the answers to those questions. Literally have no idea what Intel's been working on behind closed doors other than road maps, or if they're waiting solely on Jim Keller to have free time to build their new architecture. Last I heard that was what he was working on for them, but I can't pin that down to anything solid since I don't have the inside info other than leaks and heresay from the internet.

I'm just not willing to say Intel can't compete with any absoluteness. I'd argue that they're still competing pretty well in the current market, even with AMD's recent success. I hope they can and will continue to remain competitive. That's a best case scenario for us consumers. AMD did big things with a lot less money. Intel can do the same with a lot of money. Time will tell. I think the pressure from AMD will at least speed their efforts.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They do other stuff besides CPU's on Desktops, and their business model is one of the best in the USA as they literally have an effective market control, without breaking the law.

It really is quite astonishing.

fry178 likes this.
  14. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  15. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Makes me wonder in 2014 was their 5 year plan 14nm,14,nm,14+nm,14++,nm,14nm++++++

so much for charts and plans.[/QUOTE]

Tbh let's hope they manage it to get back on track

Otherwise there is just TSMC and Samsung left for making modern Chips :(

It would be better if there is any / more competition

16. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    Intel tells this story on slides from 2013
    And you eat all the nonsense

angelgraves13 likes this.
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would like to see this, in 10 years lets see how true this slide is

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    good to see they have a provision for backporting designs, in the event of node failure, dont really know why they didn't have that before, 14nm icelake would have been much better than skylake 6.0

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That´s not exactly true. Intel has a new CPU arc and they have already released but only for laptops:https://www.anandtech.com/show/15092/the-dell-xps-13-7390-2in1-review-the-ice-lake-cometh
    Also this arc has been ready for at least 2 or 3 years, the problem is that the same arc is tied to their broken 10nm process and because of that it´s being continually delayed for desktop. Intel really dropped the ball with their 10nm process.

20. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    It's still not "doom and gloom" for Intel. Even though they really botched up their 10 nm node to the point of cancelling 10 nm desktop processors, they've managed to keep their 14 nm node competitive on the performance front, even with restricted transistor budgets, so their x86 CPU market share is still above 80% at this point.

DYI enthusiasts like me are disappointed by the recycling of the same architecture and lack of exciting new features, but it's no different than the last 10 years, when AMD was unable to come with competitive CPUs.

If Intel also botches their 7 nm node in 2022, which will result in another round of supply shortages, that would become a real problem; by then, Zen4 shall arrive with DDR5, PCIe 5.0, and AVX-512 on the 5 nm TSMC node, and OEMs will be already tempted to switch to AMD.

But even if they botch it, backporting to previous nodes is the new backup plan for Intel - which starts with the porting of 10 nm Willow Cove architecture to the 14 nm Rocket Lake in 2021, with improved IPC, PCIe 4.0 and TB3/USB4.

There are all indications that Intel learned from their mistakes though, and it doesn't seem like AMD is counting on them making further mistakes either.

https://wccftech.com/amd-we-never-dreamed-we-would-be-ahead-of-intel/
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...clays-global-technology-media-and?part=single

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    angelgraves13 likes this.