Are we ever going to get a new NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ansel doesn't require GFE.

the nvcamera app and api is installed with the base driver.

2. The point about nvapi is good... how much can someone tie in with that?

Almost 1:1 as much as the control panel do you know?

3. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Yes as some use GFE :cool:

Nothing wrong with the way it is but lets get it all in the one place Nvidia :D

4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I still miss the old CP....like from early XP days. Think Forceware (whatever they called them back then) 28.xx.

If they reworked it now days we'd probably get some eyesore abomination like this:

[​IMG]

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    This topic pops up now and again.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all as I only check it after a new driver install. Otherwise, I rarely need to use it.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I have GFE installed though I don't really use it that often, it's nice to have when I want to capture gameplay clips easy.
    And for streaming to my shield. most games I just use steamlink to stream and play on the shield but a few games have issues through steam link whereas running through gamestream they run perfect. But i don't have any issue with GFE that some people do, I understand their issues but personally it doesn't bother me.

As for NVCP I love the fact that it trim and efficient, I don't use it that often but when I do (e.g. adding custom resolutions, changing color settings, tweaking game profiles when needed) I love that it is simple and clean and not at all heavy, I always found AMD's software overly heavy and unnecessary

Some of the default skins look really good, the one I use:
    [​IMG]
    is super clean and efficient.

7. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Yea, we need to step away from the 'Modern 2020 Ultimate Gamer' look and keep it simple and minimal (UI wise).

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

no i don't, is there an astyanax that does?

There are some controls that are likely not in nvapi, but nvidia adds most of them as it simplifies one click setups that GFE provides for games.

there is definitely an nvapi control for the dithering setting that nvidia isn't exposing anywhere on windows, it just doesn't work properly.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That "eyesore abomination" skin is created and contributed to community by Drerex, the same Guru3D community member like you are. You have all chances to prove that you can design something better, skin format is open for everyone. But I'm 100% positive that you won't do it.

yasamoka, HandR, anxious_f0x and 3 others like this.
  10. crap - that was embarrassing, dunno why in the hell I thought that....*delete delete*
    This is interesting... I'm gonna look into that and other tools developed by the community now that you mentioned this...

ok so there's a whole SDK on it .. jesus why the hell are ppl complaining...this looks pretty awesome...

"System Management: Ability to query chipset and system specific information"
    sources:​
    That's the only thing I use GFE for! hah just streaming. Moonlight is literally why I need GFE, to turn on that goofy dial for "stream from this PC" then I just use Moonlight for everything else cause it's bangin'

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2019

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol, sniping at nvidia and citing what is actually a clean and nicely designed skin was a bad move XD

12. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    This is the skin I use and I'd hardly call it an abomination. It's perfect for me, functional, and easy to navigate..

Skins.... Having choices is apparently a bad thing now..

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Like it or loathe it....you have geforce experience which extends ncp, personally i visit ncp about as much as i visit the doctors surgery but when i do........it just works....thats all i need , i have my os and games on 2 nvme drives and the game search...albeit inaccurate takes a few seconds at most.

14. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    interface, sure its important but id love to see equivalent or superior tech/features to what AMD has been recently pushing in their software

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you really don't, because its all a gimmick to sell the cards to amd's far more limited owner base and keep them on board.

Theres literally nothing the amd software provides that isn't available through other means and it takes developer time away from more pressing issues such as optimizing games and correcting bugs.

And no, the assumption that UI devs are seperate to driver devs is a mistake, this isn't the windows code base where different teams handle different core parts of the OS.

Drivers have to work tightly interwoven to avoid security issues, the kernel guys are just as involved with the UI and settings code as any.

16. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning lol

theres a lot of features that exist on consoles but have really bad implementations in pc ports, some work better (like vsync) from control panel, plenty of stuff that needs that kind of work
    developers are making their own games, its nvidias control panel so they are working on it in collaboration but are really in charge
    if all is in one team or theres some other factor we dont know that doesnt allow it, maybe its no surprise ui hasnt been updated for decade
    something like dynamic resolution scaling for example has absolutely nothing to do with security for enterprises
    anyways im happy if theres any future improvements that allow me to get higher framerates and fidelity

17. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    A clean interface "a-la windows 10" settings window (to make an example) would be great.
    usability is fine for me, a little re-design wouldn't hurt.

There's one thing though where Nvidia is seriously lagging behind compared to AMD, and that's multi-monitor handling, i.e. Surround.
    Eyefinity with AMD was literally one click away, while switching from triple (or single screen) to SLS with Nvidia is a true pita, EVERYTIME.

18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    You are correct, I won't, I don't even use Afterburner. And no offense intended to you or him. I just don't like that type of 'gamery' UI, I'm sure others love it, but I can't tell which parts are usable or just art work. Too 'busy' for me.

The one time I tried out Afterburner, that, or something very similar (think it was more red and less black) was the default skin, and I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to use it because of it. I could not tell what was an active button/slider or just inanimate decoration.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Please delete this, someone might take you seriously and that would be horrible.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Tbh I too hate that design he called an abomination. I think its because I got so used to using default v3 skin big edition.

I too also couldn't make a skin for the app as I don't have the skills to do so, but it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion based on my own tastes weather a skin looks bad or not.