New PlunderVolt Vulnrebility Hits Intel processors - vCore vs Intel SGX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Fixed that for ya...o_O

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I relize this is the wrong Thread to ask but same topic....Does Amd have any cpu vulnerabilities of there own or this is only for Intel? Reason I ask is I will be upgrading soon and its good to know these things.

Thx Guys. Nz

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    AFAIK, this is only for Intel processors.

4. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Merry Christmas you filthy animal. And a happy new year. Probably the best scenes from those movies.

5. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    The gift that keeps on giving!

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This is not good for overlcockers and those who undervolt their laptops via Intel Extreme Tweaking Utility to improve battery life. Lucky for me only 1 out of my 3 PCs are effected which is my gaming laptop. But I don' use SGX or have it enabled so I have nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ahh yes, only would make me sleap easier if I had an AMD CPU (yet).

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    On the paper they state this affects the last 5 generations of Intel Core processors only.
    ARM TrustZone similar fault discovered in the 2017 on certain ARM SoCs is not applicable to Intel SGX and vice-versa (and the Intel version is the more serious). AMD SEV looks like is not affected at all to this issue.

nz3777 likes this.
  9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Apparently those Intel Inside processors last for millions of years...:eek:

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, their new depth camera may fulfill that prediction of yours. Good for logistics? Good for DARPA.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, AMD has vulnerabilities. Just not this one.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You meant At Mount Doom
    :p

angelgraves13 likes this.
  14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    If they truly take away voltage controls, it will be the first BIOS update I am not installing. I'm relatively OK with Meltdown&Spectre, at least on the 8700K I have, their impact is 100% negligible, outside some NVMe SSD benchmarks. But voltage controls, no, that I actually need. I am using my delidded CPU undervolted, it makes for a fully quiet system while I do most of my work, browse and read the web, with temps barely jumping in the 40-50s under load and no fans spinning, case, CPU, GPU, even PSU - all 0 rpm at idle. I like the PC like that. Undervolting is an important part.
    Not to mention it would also kill overclocking too, which would lead to riots and refunds for people with X and K chips.
    Oh, and pretty much nobody uses SGX? I have never installed drivers for it and no app asked for it to be enabled.
    So weird and tiring, all of this is.
    For those that don't know where the locked voltage thing is coming from, it's Intel.
    [​IMG]

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    any application capable of reading uhd blurays uses the sgx unit during the drm process.

toyo likes this.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Intel releasing an update, that stops overclocking.

:p

17. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    What a failure... How do you manage to exclude one of the 2 big CPU manufacturers in one small stupid step, just to get some "better" DRM? I mean, Bluray is already niche and in general disks are kinda going away, in my main PC I didn't install a DVD RW for 4-5 years now, although I do keep one handy, just in case.

In the MSI UEFI SGX seems to default to Software Controlled, from my understanding that means apps can require its enabling if needed, with a reboot.

We'll see when the new BIOS gets released. Intel must know what sort of reaction they will get if they mess with voltage controls, and it's been quite the bad 2 years for them, I don't think they want to make it even worse.

[​IMG]

18. I was reading about this the other day and from my quick skim; correct me if I am wrong (anyone) please - this is quite ****** up.

• Breaking the integrity of the encryption of SGX by manipulating electricity if I have it right?
    • *Local access* Recall how many people had ASUS Live update installed and how that gave hackers the ability to install updates to computers?
    • AISuite includes voltage modding tools... one could actuate this remotely. Or am I missing something there on that aspect?
    • Exploit holes in most OEM tools that already allow to do what in effect causes Plundervolt, negate the need of additional penetration & hacking. Install root, MITM etc ... I haven't looked over everything on Plundervolt but I don't see why one need be there locally unless part of the work has to be done off OS-side.
    Know what, it doesn't matter - we're all buying AMD anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2019
    Keitosha likes this.
  19. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
  20. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    1 month later, bumping this.

MSI has released a new BIOS for Z370, with new microcode (specifically what AIDA64 detects as CAh). It does seem to be the new microcode for fixing Plundervolt.

I am mostly writing this to recommend against updating to the series of upcoming BIOSes containing this microcode, although your mileage may obviously vary. On my PC with a 8700K, this BIOS is quite horrible (first bad one I've seen in more than 2 years). Some symptoms:

- uncore/ring multi was reduced from 44 to 43 on default settings (this might be MSI's fault alone)
    - Cinebench r15 scores dropped from 1455-ish to 1408, well outside the margin of error
    - the voltage settings were messed up. I would use the CPU with a -0.085V Adaptive+Offset undervolt, which would result in something like a 1.11V vcore under full load with p95/SmallFFTs and 118W package power. After the new BIOS/microcode, the same setting is now running at 1.16-1.17V and 127W. I've had to go as far as -0.125V to achieve the same voltage as with previous BIOS/microcode. I assume this is part of the Plundervolt fix. Luckily it seems stable for now, just 1hr in stresstesting tho'
    - the VRMs are 5-10C hotter for some reason (at similar voltage/frequency/power draw). Don't know why.

Only tested for now at the default clocks. Rather annoyed with the loss of Cinebench score and lowered ring/uncore muli. Will see about OC later.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020