1440p Monitor Recommendations Primarily for Gaming

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by GarrettL, Nov 15, 2019.

1. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    So with the recent new build I was thinking of moving from a 1080p monitor to 1440p. It would be used primarily for gaming, from FPS shooters to RPG's.

Is it worth it from a graphical detail point of view? The price for a good 1440p monitor was a bit shocking to say the least.

What type of panel would you suggest considering the pros and cons of each? A 27" screen would be preferred.

The Black Friday sales will be here soon.

The monitor would be driven by a 3800x and RTX2070S.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's a nice improvement from 1080p 24" monitor. I recently went from one to 27" 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC Compatible IPS screen and it's been great. Really love my Lenovo Legion Y27q-20. Fastest LCD I've owned.

GarrettL likes this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    How is GSYNC with this monitor?

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Works great. Really does make a difference since my GTX 1070 isn't optimal for 1440p gaming. I hate tearing so I've lived with v-sync stutter but now that's history.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.

5. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    A strong option right now is the Pixio PX7 Prime. 165 Hz, 1440p, IPS, and is cheaper than most comparable monitors. It also is on sale and there's a $50 coupon for it on Amazon bringing it to $380. It is Freesync but I've had no issues with running Gsync with it at all. It doesn't have some of the bonuses of higher cost displays (think speakers, metal stand, and USB hub, none of those) but the panel is quite good and it is VESA compatible. I've been pleased with it so far.

6. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI

Thanks for your feedback.

I saw that monitor pop up the last couple of days. Nice to hear your review. A good solid panel is primary, the other stuff isn't required.

Thanks!

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Go for Dell S3220DGF without questions asked. VA is superior to IPS for most scenarios unless you want to show what are you doing to others at home, or work. ;)

Undying and GarrettL like this.
  8. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Went and looked at some 1440p monitors that were on sale during black friday.

I never should have started down this rabbit hole. I was one of those guys that though a monitor is just a monitor, right?

Saw a Predator model with a TN panel for the lower price 1440p option. I've always used TN panels for the speed due to FPS games. But side by side to VA and IPS, the TN's are really washed out looking.

I currently have an AOC G2590FX 25" 1080p that states G-Sync compatible. But it's not very smooth for some games but when it does work it's nice. Picture quality is good otherwise and a decent monitor for gaming but it's not all that great with motion handling to start with.

So, can't stop looking at the Asus ROG PG279Q but that freaking price is tough to swallow and the sales were ok but nothing great. Decided to take a chance on an open box for $456 from Amazon.

Hope it's lives up to all the hype!

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    IPS 1440p 27" and either GSYNC OR FreeSync (GSYNC compatible at that), you can't go wrong.

For the love of god, get the monitor calibrated using a colorimeter. Either buy one or see if you know someone who can do it for you.

@GarrettL - That Asus is just another monitor with the same panel as many others. You're paying for the brand, really. That being said, at $456 it's a decent price. I paid way more for an AOC with the same panel. They're pretty sweet.

10. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Thanks for the reply metagamer.

Well, a good colorimeter isn't cheap. I'll see if anyone local can do it for a good price.

11. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    i recommend the lg 27gl850, its best monitor 1440p for gaming today

12. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    The Asus ROG PG279Q was delivered last night and had a few hours with it. The monitor was an open box item and everything was in the box and packaged with care.

The stand on this monitor is excellent but also adds to the higher price. Overkill maybe?

The picture quality is really good and the colors look fantastic. Great viewing angles.

The only downside is a very, very little bit of the IPS glow in the lower corners.

Would I buy this monitor at full price? No way, too expensive compared to similar offerings.

Can I go back to a TN panel? No way! This monitor is awesome. I can see the allure of 4K. Maybe someday....

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
  14. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Nice looking monitor insp1re. Just wish the prices would come down a bit on them. Afraid the wife is gonna get jealous of the 1440p and want one t00.

15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    thanks, wife picked up a 34 inch samsung ultrawide 1440, she was use to 60hz so is happy with the 75hz freesync she has now also using a 2070 Super, Don't think i could go back.

I actually sold my faulty acer predator ultrawide gsync for less than 100 less than buying this hannspree new lol.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    mitigatable by reducing the panel brightness, you'll quickly find most recommended presets use 25.

GarrettL likes this.
  17. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I know this is dated now but I just picked up the Dell S2716DG from Best Buy for $349.99. A couple days later they lowered it another $50 so this monitor is going for $299.99 right now. IMO there is not one single monitor on the market with a better feature set than this at this price point. Been wanting it for years, also needed to upgrade from 1080 but I had an ASUS VG278H which is a 120hz nvidia 3d vision 2 monitor so I also needed the fast refresh rate. I actually used the Dell S2719 for a week and took it back because the g-sync compatibility still had tearing. This monitor with native gsync doesn’t have that issue and it’s cheaper. Seriously everyone wanting a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor right now should jump on this

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  19. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    thats an old revision and also from over a year ago, if you even read through that you would see their was a solution to the problem. I could cherry pick all kind of threads out there from disgruntled people on basically any product. I was literally just trying to share the news because I myself had been doing a lot of research and trying to locate a monitor for sale that checked all the boxes I listed but is also affordable.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no solution to the problem, the issue always remanifests and users are blaming nvidia constantly for what only Dell and Acer (because the predator with the same Panel is also affected) can fix