Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm at over 75 hours played and haven't done anything story wise past the point of unlocking the first Fence in Chapter 2. I haven't even been everywhere on the map yet either. :)

Grimbarian likes this.
  2. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I never play these types of games. But decided to give RDR2 a go, mostly cause it has a 1st person playable view. Imho the sp portion is a Work of Art. The game world is alive. I could go on and on. Where it falls short for me, is the Online portion. It is nowhere near as fleshed out .... imho .... as the sp game. Online Mode feels not ready for prime time. Not to mention when i am fighting enemies Online, enemy NPCs, they move like they are using speed hacks. I may need to switch to a Shotty just to kill them. DeadEye is absolutely useless Online..... so it doesn`t help. For some odd reason Online feels almost dead incomparison to the sp portion. The sp Story Mode is sublime. I truly wish we could Posse up and play the sp Campaign Story Mode......

Hopefully the Devs get the Online portion so it is more inline with the sp mode. I play with a few good friends, and almost fall asleep from the sheer boredom so far. Yet the single player Story portion is amazing for me. It`d be a tragedy if they don`t get the mp Online part rocking as hard as the sp game. And they gotta do something bout the speed hacking those NPC enemies are using. NPCs are perfect in the sp game. They should carry that over to Online as well.

Grimbarian and jbscotchman like this.
  3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    For those new to the RDR2 series, who skipped the console.

This is a very excellent take of the game from a very constructive, point by point break down point of view.. While I love the game, this guy has a gigantic point and breaks it down very well.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yeah I actually got bored with the online pretty quick.Hardly anyone is playing and there isn't enough group missions. I went back to GTA Online.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can manual save at any time.

ugh, except during missions or cutscenes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I love the game, gonna check the video you linked later @styckx cause i do think it could be more satisfying at times.

Took a brek from the game during chapter 6, given the atmosphere and all in this part of the game, i'm not really enthusiast at the idea of pursuing :p

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Isn't there some save setting in the options menu when mid mission though maybe it does the old back to last checkpoint and it just saves general character data and other progression outside of the mission itself because well it's quite heavily scripted and loading and saving could break things if not handled carefully.

I remember a few games had that problem at least when forcing manual saving or the lovely thing Morrowind had with quicksaving too frequently not fully buffering out or completing so the result was a corrupt file.
    (RIP quick saving, well it's not quite dead yet I suppose.)

EDIT: Well I'll just look it up, will pick up the game eventually after a few more patches and working down the existing backlog a bit as the bigger priority.

Mods for convenience and usability should also pick up in the meantime, throwing out the RGSC and fun little script loaders in general. :D
    (Well I guess it's no longer called the Rockstar Game Social Club now since it's a full game client and digital store front.)

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It works exactly like the GTA series. In a mission, you cannot save the mission progress. You complete it prior to exiting the game or start the mission again. I'm not saying it's the best way, it's just what R* has always done in these open world games.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Finally caved in and bought the game through steam. To my surprise, I literally had 0 issues with it so far (~5 hours), no launch fail, no crashes and after some tweaking with a mix of Medium/High (even some Ultra) I can say that I have a steady ~75FPS average on 1440p with a 1080Ti. It took me a while, and there's probably space for even more tweaking, but I'm happy with the result so far. I did crank most settings on Ultra at first, but imo, the visual eye candy you get vs the huge performance hit, isn't worth it.

As for the actual game, I had little doubt that I'll love it, as I am a big Western fan, a big GTA fan, so a combination of those can only mean greatness. I can see how it is way too slow for a lot of people though, I'm not one of them, but I get it. The checkpoints/saving problem, while annoying, it's something I got so used to over the years from GTA, that it doesn't bother me that much. At least I don't have to go to bed to save, like it used to be in GTA before V, or in games like KDC.

One question though, how exactly do I ride in formation/pace with the gang, or just other riders? Is there a particular button/buttons I need to press? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, tapping Shift that is.

jbscotchman likes this.
  10. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I hold space or A on the 360 controller. Double tapping A will advance to a posititon near the leader, tapping RB will let you fall back a bit

Solfaur likes this.

11. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Lol really? The internet is full of self proclaimed professors who like to think they know what ppl want, yet Rockstar games sell bigtime. If this is due to "outdated" game design i would love to play more outdated games.
    Seriously that guy is just full of himself. Sorry it's true.

jbscotchman likes this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Saving in stages adds an element of better planning/more careful play.
    Makes a game more interesting and extends play time.
    I baulk at first (feeling slightly out of my depth) but quite like it this way.

13. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Can you get a decent increase in graphics quality with MSAA? I think it looks noticeably better at 4x MSAA. It's choppy but for the sake of the conversation I just want to know if it improves IQ a lot for other players even though the fps suffers quite a bit.

14. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    51hrs in.. Just got to Chapter 4.. Have caught all but 3 Legendary Fish... The last 3 I can' catch till later in the game when Blackwater opens up.. On to Legendary Animal hunts...

Grimbarian likes this.
  15. Before anyone starts exploring I'd suggest progressing further through story missions in Chapter 2 to unlock at least Dead Eye level 2.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    For me I used TAA at medium and never noticed one jaggie. I tried MSAA and not only does it take a bigger hit on performance but I also noticed way more jaggies.

Solfaur likes this.
  17. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    ^ Yes I did notice some jaggies with 2x Msaa but they were practically gone in 4x Msaa. But maybe at the time I had some sharpening going on in some shader or Nvidia control panel. Actually not sure if sharpening makes jaggies go away so I could have it backwards in that regard.

18. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I use TAA + sharpening filter. Works wonders.

19. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    I tried the Taa and Taa sharpening earlier today and my fps went from 25 to over 40 but it doesn't have the nicer contrast when I use Msaa. Like interior lighting from lanterns is better for example. It may be that the shader I'm using is giving the better contrast or something else.

Anyway I do love 40-50 fps with the Taa & sharpening with Ultra settings. It's at 4k btw on a I7 7700 with the Nvidia card just above the 2080Ti which I can't mention by name or get laughed at for paying its price for a few extra fps in some games. I still have a 2080Ti in another pc so I can list it under my avatar.

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm not going to laugh at you for using a Titan. ;)

angelgraves13 likes this.