New monitor recommendation

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by testcy, Dec 7, 2019.

1. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I am looking for a new monitor to be used primarily for internet browsing, watching video online and offline and reading text. I have asked about specific monitors on some other threads but received no replies. I do not have a great variety of monitors to choose from if buying locally, but any suggestions will be appreciated and considered. What size, resolution, refresh rate, panel type etc do you recommend?

2. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  3. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I forgot to mention that I would prefer a monitor also supporting picture in picture in order to have video (and sound) from a second source while doing other tasks at the PC. I don't think BenQ monitors support this.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  4. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    I don't think any monitor supports PiP. Why not use TV tuner card/stick, or get a small TV side-by-side?

5. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Samsung, Asus and Philips from what I could find support this in some of their monitors and maybe others too.

6. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Well, there's ASUS ProArt series with PiP / PbP / audio, but it's not exactly cheap.

Hardware PiP will permanently obstruct your UI, which is not convenient. Online streaming in a browser or a TV tuner card with PiP software would be a better solution, which integrates well with your UI and application windows.

7. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
  8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
  9. alright PB278QR is good...
    true but... "monitor for internet browsing, watching video online and offline and reading text"?

[​IMG]

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Most people would have a second monitor for this instead.

11. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Are higher refresh rates only useful for gaming?

I don't have enough space and also it would be difficult to use two monitors at the same time.

12. @testcy

Kinda... More so to the point of falling within personal entertainment, development, design, media, film(industry). For example to quote an article on the matter:

• Essentially, a higher refresh rate will mean that the image you see is updated quicker. This can be very useful for action games or competitive games where every millisecond counts. The refresh rate works similarly to how frames per second in a video game work, but there are differences. -"60hz vs 144hz vs 240hz" by Ollie Green 08/06/2018, Online Tech Tips

Regarding picture-in-picture... it's a hardware-driven feature specific to the Monitor one is buying so be sure to check that "Picture-in-Picture" (PIP) and or "Picture-by-Picture" (PBP) if that so suits you; those such features are listed in the specifications as supported features.

Here's some information regarding ASUS's PIP/PBP Monitor feature set and how it works/how to use it.

So in closing here's what I'd say - ASUS appears to have some good support for the technology you're searching for; other vendors may as well - fellow people here may know that offhand or you can do some research to see... although the monitor you mentioned earlier the PB278QR... is a really good monitor & has what you need if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps you already spotted what you need?

• 1440P resolution (2K),
    • IPS Panel (AHVA)
    • 100% sRGB,
    • 71% Adobe RGB,
    • Refresh rate: 50 Hz - 75 Hz
    • 10 bit (8 bit + FRC) - Side-note: To over simplify a long explanation ... unless you have plans of Pro-Camera/Video/Content dev , I can't provide a justifiable reason for vanilla "10-bit" vs "8-bit + FRC" meaning 8 bit + FRC will suffice.
    • Response Time: 5ms
    • Surface: Matte Display (Anti-glare)

13. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    If 100Hz (and higher) TVs make sense, why a monitor wouldn't even for just watching movies?

14. Sure

15. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Not sure why you prioritise 100 Hz and PiP over resolution and screen size (and color quality). If your main usage is video and browsing/text - not gaming - you wouldn't really need a 100Hz QHD monitor.

Online streaming providers and Youtube channels are steadily switching to 4K (and HDR), and the difference between 27" QHD and 32" 4K is astounding even for internet browsing and text editing. I know as I've been working on the Apple 30" Cinema Display for 13 years and I'm currently on the BenQ PD3200U.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019

16. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I would buy a Samsung SSD, but I would never buy a Samsung monitor again.

100Hz and PiP are not priorities over resolution, screen size and color quality. I have used a 28" TN 4K monitor and based on this experience, I am not buying again any 4K monitor smaller than 32" or with a TN panel. At a more reasonable price, I would however buy a 2K monitor smaller than 32" with an IPS panel. 100Hz (or any refresh rate above 60Hz) and PiP are just additional features I would like to have.

17. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    The difference between 28" and 32" diagonals is minor in 4K - though I prefer the latter size. Both Benq EW3270U / PD2700U can be had for around $400-450 - which is less than Asus PB278QR and similar PiP / 100 Hz monitors - and their out-of-the-box color precision is very good to outstanding.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have the same monitor, and if you enable Group View, the color transitions get fixed in regards to viewing angles. I also upgraded to a BenQ EW3270U, which is a 32" and I can finally have 4K @ 100% scaling. \o/

19. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Here PB278QR is around 300€ and EW3270U is around 500€.

20. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019