New build or new Video Card?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dragam1337, Dec 5, 2019.

?

Upgrade entire build, or just new video card?

1. Entire build

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Video card

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, i just can't make my mind up... should i get an entirely new build when the new nvidia 3080 ti comes, along with whatever cpu is the fastest for gaming at that time, with everything that goes with it (mobo, ram, cpu cooler etc), including a new 4k 144 hz display? Or should i just get a 3080 ti and keep everything else?

My current hardware is as follows :

4930k @ 4,5 ghz
    4x 8gb 2133 mhz cl11 ram
    Rampage IV formula
    2x gtx1080 gaming x in SLI
    5,5 tb ssd's and 40 tb hdd's
    Acer XB321HK 32" 4k 60hz g-sync display
    Corsair ax1200i
    CM Cosmos 2 case

So my computer serves me mighty fine for everything i currently do outside gaming, buuuuut it's time for me to get more gpu power... without sli this time. However, i have also seen how much of a difference high hz actually does for online shooters, and while i primarily play single player games atm (think witcher and the likes of it), i can certainly feel that i am at a disadvantage in high pace moving shootouts when i do play online shooters. My 60 hz monitor blurs during quick movement, while guys with 144+ hz monitors don't, thus giving me a massive disadvantage, and i can hardly count the amount of times i have died, where i can pinpoint this as a massive contributor to me dying.

However, as of late i don't play as much as i used to, and then i am like... does my current gaming needs really warrant a 40k DKK (roughly 6k USD... yes danish prices are crazy) upgrade ? Especially considering that the shooters i like is mostly battlefield, aaaand i am pretty much not playing bf until the next one comes.

On the other hand, just getting a 3080 ti would likely not be all that much of an investment, as i could sell my 1080's collectively for half of what the 3080 ti would could cost me, and then i'd still have a great experience in all singleplayer games in the forseeable future, as my cpu isn't a bottleneck in any game at 60 hz.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Maybe get a really nice 1440p IPS panel at 144Hz? Your display issues won't be solved with just a gpu upgrade due to a 60Hz monitor.

anticupidon likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Why would i do that? It would still reqruire me to change my entire setup... the fps / hz is what is demanding on the cpu / ram, not the resolution.

Not to mention that there is no way in hell that i am downgrading to 1440p.

3080 ti will allegedly get 50% more cuda cores than a 2080 ti, thus should be more than enough to drive battlefield at 4k 144 - even my current gpu's can do bf5 at 4k ultra 100 fps.

4. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    The issue of blur is relative to the 60Hz monitor, I thought that was your biggest issue. More gpu power isn't going to solve the blur.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I am aware of that... i am just sharing my internal debate about whether or not i can live with my 60 hz setup for the time being, with just a new gpu and a great experience in single player games, or if i should just fork out the 6k usd it would cost me to make the jump to 4k144, and get that good online experience aswell.
    The money is not an issue, it's more about if i can justify spending that much on something i don't spend aaaall that much time on these days :)

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Dragam1337
    @GarrettL has a solid point. And hey, don't take it the wrong way, but nobody could read the future, or what 3080TI will capable of or not.
    Your options are:
    1) sell your rig, get yourself a new shiny computer- Ryzen 3 + Navi sounds like a good option. But get also a new monitor, your 60 Hz is main issue here.
    2) keep your rig , upgrade your monitor and GPU, later down the road CPU+mobo.
    3) get a new 2K IPS panel at 144Hz or at least 95 Hz. G Sync and all.

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    True, nobody knows exactly what the 3080 ti is yet, but we do know that it is not going to be less powerful than a 2080 ti, and it is almost certainly going to be at least 30% more powerful than the 2080 ti. Regardless, if i am to upgrade my monitor, it will be a 4k 144 hz display ;) I am not downgrading from 4k, as image quality is by far the most important thing to me.

I am leaning towards a complete upgrade, although im still not entirely sure. The hardware is more or less a given (nvidia gpu and intel cpu, along with the fastest ram it can handle) - what is an unknown is the monitor... there are new top tier 4k 144 hz monitors coming, but they still have built in fans, and haloing due to the backlight array (even if they claim it has been improved). I want pristine image quality, but i don't want noisy fans in my monitor, nor haloing around moving objects on the screen, and then they will have to be using new interface standards, as i don't want to have to use compression in order to use the 144 hz mode together with g-sync -_- That's also kinda why i am holding back on upgrading, hoping something that solves those issues comes along.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Your computer is a few generations old, CPU wise.
    Yeah, at that time Intel was the logical choice, today AMD could be a serious pretender.
    If the new computer is set to last you a few years, AMD can give you more for less and a bit of a leeway for upgrades.
    X570 is a very sound platform and from what you stated in the first post, you are not exclusively gaming. Stands to reason to have a overall good performer CPU, not only for gaming.
    But hey, you are free to do whatever you want.

GarrettL likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I've decided that i am only upgrading the gpu when the 3080 ti comes - if i were to make such a big investment in an entirely new build, it would have to be one that wont be made obsolete in a very short span of time, which the monitor would be, due to the current ones still being limited by interface bandwidth.
    As the monitor will be by far the most expensive part of a my new build (around 2,5k USD), it wouldn't exactly be a sound investment to buy one that will be obsolete in 1-2 years. And upgrading the rest of the computer without a new monitor is kinda meaningless.

So i am holding off until you can get 4k monitors that can natively do at least 144 hz (preferably 165 or more) without the use of compression.

I am not playing any online shooters for the foreseeable future anyways (next battlefield is 2021 at the earliest), so 60 hz doesn't matter atm - only image quality in the singleplayer games i play ;P

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    4930k will hold down even a 2080ti let alone 3080ti. Changing to am4 makes sense if you planing getting an ultra high end gpu like that.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Edit,
    saw you have gsync, but still 144hz is like night and day.

I bought my first 144hz monitor 1year ago and now I would never go back to 60Hz.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Precisely what I was about to recommend if you can hold out long enough.
    A lot of significant change for the better is coming in all areas.
    You may have to wait a bit longer for the display you want though.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Not at 4k60 m8 - i got more than 2080 ti performance with 1080 sli, and the cpu is not a bottleneck in anything.

And what alot of people here seem to forget is that more cpu power is only needed with higher fps. Running 4k, or even 5k downsampling, does not increase the cpu load over running 1080p.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, i reckon i might have to wait 2 years for the monitor i want, but i can wait - i don't exactly swap out my hardware very often ;p

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    G-sync does indeed make 60 hz alot more tolerable, and the monitor i got is perhaps the best 60 hz lcd ever made.

As written above, i can wait for a monitor that meets my demands.

-Tj- likes this.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is true, but increasing resolution does increase CPU load but its so small its not even a problem. I played through a bit of Borderlands 2 about 6 months ago when I still had my 2700X CPU and even at 1440p I was seeing around 30-60% GPU load and pretty severe swings in fps performance.

I used DSR to render the game at just over 5K and got a MUCH better experience out of the game, now GPU was pegged at 99% and fps stuck around the 70-120fps mark.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I would just wait, your setup has lasted you this long it can sure last a little longer. Just begin to save now and then in a year or so you could get an entire new system with Ryzen 4000 CPU, X670 mobo, and a 3080Ti much further increasing your performance for 4K144Hz.

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No, increasing the resolution does NOT increase the cpu load. And as i just stated, the issue is non-existent with the fps capped at 60, as fps is what primarily increases the cpu load...

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is what I meant, when using 60Hz increasing resolution won't have any impact on fps but higher framerates will do, BUT also remember most older games are not multicore aware. Borderlands 2 has minimal multicore support.

I went from 1440p144Hz, CPU load was around 20% and GPU load was around 30-60% with fps spiking between 50-90fps. CPU bound/old programming

Using DSR for 5K144Hz CPU load increased to around 30% and GPU load was now pegged at 99% but fps was steady at 70-120fps.

Obviously I became GPU bound at higher resolution, but I also got a nice fps boost too which might be why my CPU load increased slightly. Though this won't be the case for every game.