Halo Master Chief Collection

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by XP-200, Mar 12, 2019.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not sure why anyone would cause themselves a headache.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, just like PS4+ and Nintendo Online.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This probably one of the worst ports I have ever seen... (YES! Worse than RDR2)

Performance is godlike, sure I am just look at the game, it looks terrible apart from a few higher quality textures and better resolution otherwise its the same game.

Graphics options are none existent, uncapping beyond 60fps makes everything jitter/shake when moving around it, its so bad I had to turn the game off. Spent a few minutes in the options thinking I missed an advanced options tab, but no we get 1 option for graphics quality!!! ONE OPTION!!! Its either performance, original, or enhanced!

No option to turn off motion blur, no texture quality, AA options, AF, AO, no shadow quality option, no LOD or view distance slider, and the most lazy inept high frame rate support I have ever used!!! But it runs at like 300fps..... sure it does but every object on the screen incurs this gross horrendous jitter effect making you feel completely sick after playing for more than 5 minutes.

Other than there being support for ultrawides, and an FOV slider there is NOTHING ELSE HERE! This is literally the most rushed, uninspired, thoughtless port I have ever played. If this is the quality of the other games than I am seriously considering a refund!

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    It was only ever advertised as being the original game with a few quality of life improvements and the price reflects that.

The unlocked fps could be better but there's a reason it's listed under Experimental Settings in the menu. I don't really see a huge need for individual settings adjustments for a game that runs so well, the game doesn't even support motion blur so a settings for that would be a bit redundant.

5. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Apparently audio and unlocked fps (anything above 60) is not working correctly. Gonna wait until those things are fixed before I get this.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would at the very least expect a few options, sure its an old game but come on dude its 2019 and they can't add any AA or AF options? They can't add some other forms of tweaking? And for the game to exhibit the kind of stutter at high frame rates is not acceptable on launch when for the past 6 months all they have spoken about is doing the PC version right, supporting high refresh, supporting high fps, supporting fov sliders, supporting ultrawide....

Sure you can't argue at the price which is why I didn't mention it but for a PC game release in 2019 it should support high frame rates even for such an old game. We have hardware that can push this game upwards of 300fps and beyond yet the game forces us to use 60fps as a cap to get no stutter!

Yes both are broken. Avoid for the time being I hope they fix it soon but all I see is people praising the game and not talking about its game breaking issues, which could lead 343 to not fixing them quickly.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not know about the stuttering effect spoken of. Was playing with friends all last night and not one of us experienced such an effect. One of the major textures that date the game is the water. About the only fault could find with the port. I am also not using the most up to the minute driver either. Was too lazy to install the Halo ready driver. The game played out quite smooth. Only other complaint would have is that my keyboard exhibited a delay in responsiveness when needing to start to sprint. Mele felt a bit delayed but no where near as much when starting to sprint.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Audio mixing is wonky and there's no subtitles (even if you want them) outside of cutscenes.

Top notch, apparently original reach had the same issues and they didn't bother fixing either.

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    You can’t just throw options into a game if it’s not supported at an engine level, the original game had a very early version of TAA which caused crazy amounts of ghosting in motion so it’s been removed from the PC version, AF I’ve just forced to 16x in the Nvidia control panel and DSR is always an option for better image quality should you feel the need for it.

Unlocking the frame rate isn’t as easy as just flicking a switch on a game that was never designed to run on anything other than its target hardware at 30fps, who knows what other systems are tied to that 30fps cap, it’s a work in progress that I’m sure they’ll figure out, the collection on the Xbox One has been well supported with numerous fixes and improvements since launch so things will improve as the collection expands with future games.

10. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    343 said that the game can run at higher frame rates, but it's experimental because it doesn't function properly. I think it's tied to the same issue that plagued Halo: Combat Evolved when Gearbox ported it: the tick rates in animation and everything worth while are, at best, at 60fps. So you can get a higher frame rate from your video card, but it won't matter much because the game has no idea what to do with those frames. You'll get duplicate frames and wonky animations that feel stiff. That's not something that can easily be fixed, that's the legacy of the port.

Technically, the high refresh rate is there, the high frame rate is there (they said it'd be questionable), the fov slider is there, ultrawide support is there (including HUD changes). The Halo games are being brought to PC largely to get us back into the groove for Halo: Infinite next year, but you can see it's not easy to port a decade-old game that was tailored completely to the platform it was released on originally. Bit of a shame, but not entirely unexpected.

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i don't see the point in posting about games doing software telemetrics in order to facilitate bug catching.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I loved Halo and Halo 2 back on the original Xbox "back in the day" but I think this is a franchise that is a little past its sell-by date which is no doubt why Bungie left Microsoft when they did to go work on Destiny.

That said, I think at £7 per game on , this is a really nice collection that you can just buy each game as you please

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I will just wait untill everything is out and in working order.

Was looking forward to Halo CE anyways, which isn't even out.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I agree its nice that they are bringing Halo back to PC but it would of made so much more sense for them to have ported the games over to a better more up to date engine when they released the original MCC on XB1 a few years back. Allowing them to then port the game to PC and give a more fleshed out option.

Also, if people with higher refresh rate monitors who also upcap the fps and turn off vsync can't see the jitter/stutter you are blind as others I have spoken too have also seen it. Sure its a limitation of the engine but why still use that engine in 2019. Such a small percentage of people are using 4K monitors whereas most people are on 1080p 120Hz/144Hz monitors and you have left those people in the dust as playing a game at 60fps at 144Hz is horrible.

I am going to test out GSYNC and see if this helps, but as its an engine issue I doubt it. I did see that turning off vsync in game and unlocking the frame rate in game but then capping to 60fps in RTSS did improve responsiveness a little but not by much.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but you can sub for Xbox Game Pass for 3 months for £1 and Halo is included, alongside some other decent games such as

• The Outer Worlds
    • Age of Empires 2 DE
    • Forza Horizon 4
    • Rage 2
    • Gears 5
    • Darksiders 3
    • Subnautica
    • Dead by Daylight
    • Monster Hunter World
    • Prey
    • Shadow of Mordor
    • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    • Resident Evil 5
    • Hellblade
    • Alien Isolation
    • Wolfenstein 2
    • Doom 2016
    • Metro Exodus

just to name a few... Here's the link https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass?xr=shellnav

SpajdrEX likes this.
  17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    And it works even if you already have an account and used any discounts before.

18. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Porting Reach (and other Halo games) to entirely new engines doesn't really make (financial) sense to me. The MCC was conceived to ensure backward compatibility, and to ensure Halo stays relevant throughout the Xbox One generation. Circa 2013, I'm pretty sure a PC port wasn't even being considered, and now that the MCC is a thing that exists, it makes full sense to port that, and no sense to completely rebuild it again. Halo 1 already had its Anniversary edition (based on the Gearbox port, but still), Halo 2 has been upgraded, everything else is still sort of modern enough that it doesn't need much of an upgrade. It's a "nice to have" thing, but not a necessity.

I think most people are on 60Hz, very few are on 144Hz and even fewer on 4K/144Hz. Considering the engine limitations, it seems pretty clear to me that 343 did what they could, and may try improving it, but aren't very likely to bring a definitive solution to the table any time soon. It was the same with Halo 1 for PC: its animations were stuck at 30Hz, so even with higher frame rates, you'd get wonky results.

Like many console exclusives, Halo (pretty much every version of it) barely worked on the platform it was completely tailored for, and it shows in the ports. It's no wonder it doesn't precisely comply with hardware that wasn't even made up when the original game was in development, and unfortunately, it doesn't really make financial sense to completely redo a ten year old game just for some technical features.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    KissSh0t and cerebus23 like this.
  20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    good news for ms bad news for the ms store.