Found a new job

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Serotonin, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Starting in a few weeks. Kind of nervous, but this place has been falling apart. Up for sale for over a year. They finally found a buyer just at the time I happened to finally start being serious about looking for a new gig. Been here for 9 years. Has a comfort level since it's familiar and since I suffer from bad anxiety and depression. But, I gotta do it. What have you gurus found that helps ease anxiety for situations like this? I can use some pointers.

386SX, dark_surge and Caesar like this.
  2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I fix boats and i love it :D
    no advice from me :)

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    try to adopt the "yes" , i can do it..... (although at times you will have to say "no" :) )
    -----------------------------
    For me. YES, CAN DO IT!!!!

Serotonin likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Alcohol (with moderation).
    Meditation.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Magnesium/Meditation

Serotonin likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well, gaming helps and weed. ;)

Syranetic and Serotonin like this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Tell your dog, pet or kids about it. Speak about it in third person, let the observer you be more aware of the change than the actual you.
    Like telling a story, whom you can change and influence the outcome.
    Will ease the transition, the pressure of real life change.
    More, during this time try to eat properly, sleep at least 7 hrs. and avoid arguments with your SO.
    And try to remember that it's not the end of the world, people are considering changing their job all the time, and seek change for something better.

386SX, airbud7, Caesar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Be confident in yourself and your abilities. Change is scary, and its always a bit nerve wracking to start a new gig (i know it is for me). There is always that somewhat panicky moment of "do i really know what the hell i am doing?" but it will pass. I am a pot smoker, but i cannot recommend using any substance to help with this feeling (using anything as a crutch is not healthy). Focus on the reasons for your decision. You are doing this to better yourself, your family, your wallet. Take heart in starting a new chapter of life. While change is scary, it is liberating. You will learn new things, and advance yourself as a professional. If you are anxious, good, that means you are alive and paying attention. If you weren't, i would be more concerned. You can do this. Good luck.

airbud7, Caesar and Serotonin like this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am in the middle of the storm right now, quit my job in August.
    Still haven't found what I was hoping to, and slacked a bit on my certification progress.
    Yes, it is nerves wrecking, but I do remember to calm myself and see the positive part.
    Having time to spend with wife, friends and our God daughters, which I missed terribly while I was working two jobs. Thank God we saved like we we're preparing for a second Chernobyl.
    This gives me some reassurance, and certain confidence that there is something out there, something better.

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I appreciate everyone's advice. But this one really hit me. Thank you. I hope you find what you're looking for job-wise soon.

anticupidon likes this.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I used pot as a crutch for a few years. I don't wanna do that. It really did help ease anxiety, but, I was spending a lot of money on it and depending on it way too much. I have an addictive personality. I can't do a little of anything. That's why I was an alcoholic for years lol (sober since March 2016).

Thanks for the kind words. Also great advice. And much appreciated.

Caesar likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Good weed.

airbud7, Syranetic and Undying like this.
  13. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Preach.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @SerotoNiN
    In hard times, harsh time our souls are bare, reach surface. The struggle is intense, body reacts in certain ways.
    I learned the hard way that no one is at fault, each change requires a certain amount of time and resources, and some internal "chaos".
    In these times you seek to anchor yourself on the things, persons you trust.
    And small things make enormous difference: during all this time, I wake up early, before sunrise.
    In those quiet moments before the new days is born, you meditate. And take comfort in what you hold dear. When sun rises, you know what to do. The decision are already made, even you aren't aware yet.
    You absorbe the change, bitter as it is. But your willpower will make everything better.
    Set your mind and your body to take fully advantage of what nature made you.
    Speak, hear, observe and decide.
    Do things.
    Will make everything manageable and you'll find yourself at ease.
    Best of luck!

386SX and Serotonin like this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And healthy style of life, of course. Enough sleep, enough exercises, enough entertaining.

16. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Nothing helps job confidence more than knowing your job well. But also when you start a new job, you'll go through a period where you have to learn to work with new people. Many of the things they do will seem stupid. Don't be the guy who points it out to them. Everyone has to like you and trust you before they will bother listening to you.

SpajdrEX, Serotonin and anticupidon like this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  18. Congrats on the new job; you're getting out. No laying off, no termination. The most important thing is you are whole. That aside over the years I've tried different things, at a point when I lived in Hawaii I took up surfing, if you live near the ocean I still swear by that - I've tried antidepressants; still am on them, I noticed panic attacks going away beyond that not much else - we're all different. I quit smoking cigarettes 6 months ago; took a hell of a lot of stress away - if you smoke, do yourself a favor and cut back or quit. Take lessons at a local range, work with an instructor, something about it can be grounding; likely the requirement to focus and calm yourself. I have this small Miata I kept from my time in Hawaii, shipped it on a Matson container - I drive the thing everywhere; sometimes when I'm extra stressed I take her out; just wherever - spontaneous road-trips ... heck I go wherever anywhere for miles outside the city and just drive enjoying the scenery man. I've had people think I'm nuts for that last part... until I met someone that told me they did the exact same thing... Anyways... my two cents'

P.S. - Happy Holidays btw..

EDIT: For what it's worth. You're doing more than most the guys I know are doing; you're talking about and asking for feedback. That's got to be part of letting go of some of the stress & not holding it in way I see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2019
    SpajdrEX and Serotonin like this.
  19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Thanks man! Happy Holidays to you as well.

20. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You found a new job? Cooooooooooooooooooool! :)

Congrats +1 !!!