Turn Off Fan on Gibabyte or Zotac 1650 or 1050 Low Profile Cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jovial_Jack, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Jovial_Jack

Jovial_Jack Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility x300
    I'm considering buying an Asus GeForce 1650 low profile from overseas which will cost me a little more and forgo warranty on the premise that Asus is the only vendor with a GPU BIOS that allows turning off the fan (most of what I do is 2D and on special occasions I'll really use the card).

Correct me if I'm mistaken...From what I gather the only 1050 and 1650 low profile cards that allow turning off the fan are Asus cards and all the other vendors force a fan minimum of 40% even with Afterburner or GPUtweak2. I gather a driver mod won't do it.

I saw the latest architecture in the guru3d video BIOS editor thread is Kepler/Maxwell so I'm guessing all Pascal and Turing chips are cryptographically signed preventing video bios modding for the time being?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You cannot modify the BIOS on Pascal and newer cards using firmware alone. You of course are capable of researching the models on your own. Which of course you should do versus taking the word of someone online.

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

In theory you can cross flash between the vendors,I have done it on Turing or Pascal GPUs in past,just not sure if this will work with 1650 or 1050 GPUs,you can crossflash only between the same GPU model ie like 1650 to 1650 or RTX2080 to 2080,usually I do that to gain extra power limit headroom

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Jovial_Jack likes this.
  4. Jovial_Jack

Jovial_Jack Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility x300
    Stellar suggestion! I've done that for RAID and Fiber cards and it didn't occur to me as a possibility for GPUs. I'll explore that angle. Thanks @jura11

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes you can do this. But you void your warranty if it goes South. Also MSI: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1650-GAMING-X-4G

Zero Frozr technology: Stopping the fan in low-load situations, keeping a noise-free environment.