Problem with freesync on BenQ EW3270U (Nvidia)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Supertribble, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I read a Digital Foundry article listing recommendations for monitors that work with freesync and Nvidia cards, listed was the ew3270u but I am having problems with black screens. The cable I am using is a dp 1.4 because I was told 1.4 is needed for HDR? The problem seems to occur when freesync is engaged ie when the frame rate drops below 60, when this happens I get random black screens, like the display is losing the signal, if I turn off gsync in the driver these issues disappear. What could be causing this? If I use rtss the problem is worse, even having that run at startup will cause a few black screen before things settle down. If rtss isn't set to run at startup there are no black screens until I start gaming (wtf?). The driver I am using is 418.91

Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Change the screen acceleration to Standard.

3. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    How do I do that? I tried the monitor with my old rig, rx 480 and there were no problems with black screens, so that rules out the dp lead being the culprit. I never heard of screen acceleration. :/

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's a setting in your Monitor's menu that allows for quicker pixel transitions. On my Samsung, it's Standard, Faster, Fastest. Some systems call it overdrive. Having it enabled (above Standard) can introduce blackouts, among other issues.

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    After reading the manual, I do believe AMA is it, leave it on Off, then turn monitor off/on so it's re-detected and grabs the proper timings info.

7. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Ok. I bought another displayport cable as well. This one is Vesa certified. Hopefully that will sort out the problem...

8. dannsjow

dannsjow Guest

Did you manage to fix it? I have the exact same monitor and issue.

9. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Unfortunately not. I feel annoyed because the monitor was recommended by eurogamer for use with Geforce cards using freesync.

10. dannsjow

dannsjow Guest

Well it's not on nvidia's list of compatible monitors.

11. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    I have been using mine just fine with my RTX 2080ti no black screens gsync is working well.. maybe you have a defective monitor or a doggy display-port cable. I am using 417 drivers as I find them better for performance but have tested with the latest drivers and gsync works well.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    have you got the newest monitor firmware as this fixed a few other BenQ monitors that was having the same fate

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    It isn't possible for the user to upgrade the firmware apparently. I've tried 3 different dp cables, one of them an expensive Vesa certified one. I'm leaning toward a chipset conflict as the cause but I'm using the latest drivers/BIOS. Perhaps it doesn't like Ryzen or x470.

14. dannsjow

dannsjow Guest

Bought me a club3d DP 1.4 cable and it fixed my problem! No more black screens! (GTX1080 / i7 6700k)

15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE

16. Erill1971

Erill1971 Guest

GPU:
    blackscreen problem is normally the v rate.
    you can use cru to change it , on my benq ex3203 i get blackscreens with gsync enabled , fixed it by changing the v rate from 26 to 40.
    no more black screens and gsync works just fine.

open cru select edit at the top ,change v rate to 40, restart the driver by running restart or restart 64 as admin, test with gsync windmill , keep lowing till blackscreen issue starts again and find the lowest point you can use.

17. Artyom Kaufman

Artyom Kaufman Guest

GPU:
    1080 TI-Palit SJS
    Erill1971, you are right. Too bad I had to solve it myself, before i got to this thread.
    I own the EW3270 as well. The solution was to use CRU and change the V rate from 40 to 42 (41 was still causing issues)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I picked up an BenQ EW3270U monitor as well, and having the same issue with blanking:

1) When playing back video, either fullscreen or windowed, when video first starts
    2) When gaming using FreeSync / GSync Compatible, especially when game is outside of FreeSync range

I managed to get it stable during gaming, thus far in my testing, by forcing Prefer Maximum Performance in NVCP Power setting. I suspect this has something to do with DPMS causing screen to reset. I spoke with BenQ and they say there is a firmware update available, but you have to RMA to get it.

My unit says it was made July 2019.

EDIT: After further testing, monitor is stable using any of the Power Profiles. But it wasn't stable until I changed the profile the first time, so I am guessing in doing so, it grabbed whatever info it needed from the new EDID info and configured itself properly.

Mind you I tried various other drivers before, and DDU a few times, so it seems that you need to change the Power Settings in NVCP once, and then set them to whatever you desire in order to have VRR not blanking on you. What a PITA! At least, tho I got it working. I will still follow up with BenQ and find out the date of the latest firmware. If it's pre-July, I will assume that I have it. If it's after July, then I'll RMA the unit so they can do the update and test on their end.

@Supertribble

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Addendum: Tried to see if I can OC the refresh rate, and that failed. :) But interestingly, it also brought back the blanking. A reboot seemed to address it, and to further clean things up, I ran CRU's reset-all option to flush out all my older and unused profiles. Seems things are back to normal, although I still cannot run GSync Pendulum demo without blanking.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Addendum: Spoke to BenQ, seems a firmware update came out 8 days ago, so I will be RMA'ing this unit to get the update. I hope it fixes these blanking issues.

Astyanax likes this.