Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only one (about GPU). Some audio controllers (their drivers) do not work in MSI mode.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't know if this means anything or adds a data point for mbk1969 to look at....
    https://i.**********/QdphF9HB/Normal.gif

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It looks like developers from AIDA team do not know about negative IRQ numbers (in MSI mode). So all negative values were clipped/truncated into the same "65536" value. You can report the bug.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Surprized that passed Q/A.

5. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Hey, could setting "usbxhci.inf" to high MSI priority make my USB mouse more responsive? By default I have SATA and Ethernet set to High and rest to Undefined.

6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I did that. just give everything High and test. Why shouldn't the USB have HIGH, it's not 125 HZ anymore, we are talking about a lot of refresh rate.

7. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    My mouse driver sets it to 1000Hz polling rate by itself but I've a feeling that setting high MSI priority to everything will just make it all work like the same, because there will be nothing to prioritze over.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I am not. Tester probably assumed that all those devices share the same IRQ - 65536. To catch the bug he should know about negative IRQ values (in MSI mode), or simply compare with information in Device Manager.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  9. fenomancer

fenomancer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Will it help killing stutters in not very demanding games such as CSGO? Also my 2 AMD SATA's and 2 HDA's(High Definition Audio) are on line-based atm should I do it MSI or it's only for GPU? If not, what should I set to MSI besides GPU? Thanks

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It can help with stuttering caused by heavy CPU load and big stream of interrupts from devices on legacy mode.
    Btw, CSGO is not very demanding game only when you cap the frames. Otherwise several hundreds of frames per second will create heavy load on CPU and GPU.

MSI mode is native mode for all PCI-Express devices. But not all OEMs provide drivers capable to work in MSI mode.

HDAs should work fine in MSI mode, and you can safely turn them back to legacy mode if they wont.
    As for AMD SATAs, they should work too, but there was a buggy AMD chipset which has glitches in MSI mode. Read notes in OP written in red font, learn how to troubleshoot BSODs in boot process, and then try to switch SATA into MSI mode one by one (with reboot between).

fenomancer likes this.

11. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    oh...so enabling msi mode can help with cpu intensive games like totalwar games and mmos for example?

12. Hemisfear

Hemisfear Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    just try it

toyo likes this.
  13. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    hmm... Don't know if its just placebo but I'm noticing higher cpu usage in apex when I enable msi mode.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats normal and shouldn't pose any performance issues.

15. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I did notice with msi mode on there's some subtle frame pacing degredation in apex.It's subtle so alot of ppl might not notice it.

Re-installing the gpu driver resets these changes right?Its basically the same as unticking everything back to how it was before?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, ever GPU driver install MSI mode needs to be enabled again.

toyo likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've queried Manuel G about an advanced driver install option to install the card in MSI's, but the logistics of it are somewhat unfavourable, to do it there'd need to have the driver signing batches adjusted to sign two sets of infs, one without msi's (legacy) and one with msi's, then the installer would have to copy the correct infs during the unpack phase.

The DCH and Studio sets have already tripled the work being done to package and test drivers as it is....

mbk1969 likes this.
  18. fenomancer

fenomancer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thank you. So basically the only problem I can have because of msi are bsods?

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only real problem with MSI mode can be a driver not working in MSI mode. In case of SATA controller (and GPU as well) not working driver continues with not booting Windows - end of simple life, start of troubleshooting.
    Obviously not working audio controller is not big deal because it is not needed at boot stage and you can always switch it back to legacy mode manually or with the help of the tool.

20. fenomancer

fenomancer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    So it can't cause more stuttering right?