I7 9700k Oc Not Stable

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by zicu111, Nov 26, 2019.

1. zicu111

zicu111 Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti
    Hello everybody. So, recently, i've ugraded most of my components from my PC. So, i have a new i7 9700k with a Scythe Ninja 4, Gigabyte Aorus Pro motherboard, gtx 1080ti, PSU Corsair 750W, a samsung ssd 1TB Nvme, 16 gb ddr4 2400Mhz only, all together in a NZXT Case, with good cable management. I have the latest BIOS update. I am playing games in 1440p 144hz.
    Ok, so i tried to overclock the CPU. And i started, first, by changing some of the settings from BIOS, after reading some oc guides, like this:
    Enhanced Multi-Core Performance - disabled
    AVX Offset - auto
    SVID offset - disabled
    VT-d -disabled
    Intel Speed Shift Technology - disabled
    Ring to core offset (down bin) - disabled
    CPU EIST Function - disabled
    Voltage Optimization - disabled
    Intel Turbo Bost - disabled
    Active Turbo Ratios - disabled
    C-States Control - all disabled
    CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration - Turbo (it has also, extreme and super extreme options)
    I also have this, by default like that:
    CPU Internal AC/DC Load Line - Auto
    CPU Base Clock - Auto - meaning 100.00Mhz
    Ring Ratio - Auto - meaning 43 (uncore ratio)
    IGP Ratio - Auto - meaning 30.00
    Then, i started slow, with 4.8ghz and 1.26V, all good in prime95 26.6, stable after 1 hour, and good temperatures, 90 celsius degrees on 2 cores maximum, but, when i started gaming, i got different blue screens, until i reached 1.30V, by increasing with 0.01V, step by step, and the temperatures were max 75 celsius degrees, but still, it's not stable, neither at 1.30V.
    Then, i tried with 4.9ghz, starting from 1.31V, again, all good in prime95 26.6, stable, no bluescreens or freezes, temperatures around 95 celsius degrees on few cores, but, again, when i started gaming, it showed again bluescreens, until i reached 1.35V, and, again, temperatures were max 78 celsius degrees, but average around 75, and still, it's not stable, either at 1.35V.
    I tried first Fifa 20 and CS:GO, and it appeared to be ok, but after those 2 were stable, i played Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and i can't play it stable atm, i get bluescreens after 15-30 minutes of playing. In fifa20 or csgo, at 4.8@1.30V or 4.9@1.35V, at least, after 1-2 hours, i didn't received any bluescreens.
    I want to mention, that, i tried to put the uncore ratio to 46(manual), and i got some desktop random freezing, so i let it un auto aswell.
    Is it really so hard to get it stable, or i am doing something wrong? On my last i7 7700k, i didn't had some many issues by making it stable, but this one, i am a little bit out of ideas, because in my oppinion, for daily usage, 4.9ghz @1.36V or more is a little bit risky, and maybe there is something else to change so i can make it stable.
    I am here for more informations, if you need me and if you can please help me with some advices, i appreciate it. Thank you

2. zicu111

zicu111 Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti
    Nobody?

3. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    i would just look for a clip on youtube if nobody has done the same oc
    that's how i did it , 8700K @ 5ghz stable as a rock
    i think you need a couple tweaks there , m8
    multi-core performance needs to be on for starters
    avx offset , try setting that to -3
    turbo boost needs to be ON too
    CPU Vcore loadline : i would first leave it like this , if things still don't work proper i would set it to the middle setting , then try the highest setting if it still doesn't run stable
    ring ratio is normally about 2-3 ghz less then the overclocked core you have , meaning if you oc to 4.8 set that to 4.5
    also your voltage is a bit on the low side to get a stable oc out of it i think ... try 1.28 , still good for temps
    my voltage is running at 1.31 for this 5ghz oc , but it's a 8700k , don't know how the voltages compare with the 9 series
    if you need anything else , timothyhendr@gmail.com , i'll try and help

4. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    If you're using XMP, stop it until you get the CPU itself stable. Just use the RAM at 2133MHz or w/e it's stock. After you're fully stable, re-enable XMP. Why? Because it's not always stable. Been through this with 3 Coffee Lake systems already.

Now, for the actual CPU OC, should be said that no OC is ever guaranteed and some silicon is really bad. It's quite uncommon though for Coffee Lake to not get to 4.8.49 (at least), so there might be something else at play here.

What kind of BSODs are you getting? BSODs are typically a sign of pretty bad instability, the type when you're nowhere near close to fully stable. When you're close to stable BSODs are really rare, but you might get app crashes with access violation errors and the sort.

Also, you should start running HWinfo64 in the background while gaming, and log everything. Post the logs.

Needless to say that while you OC the CPU you should not touch the GPU, leave it at default. One by one.

Lastly, if you set an AVX offset, you won't be stuck at the OC frequency inside most modern games, which use AVX. You'll see the CPU frequency bounce back between the 2 points, for example if you OC to 5GHz and set -3 AVX, the CPU will just go 4.7-5-4.7 depending on what instructions it executes. AVX power consumption is typically OK, as long as you don't run stress tests or stuff like Blender that's able to run on all threads with AVX. It gets really ugly though in p95.

Speaking of prime95, download the last version and deselect AVX/AVX2. It's on guru3d downloads as well. They made it easy to stress test without AVX, you don't need old prime or config file editing anymore.

5. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Corsair PSU? Is it Gold rated or above? Could be a PSU issue if you are rocking a bronze.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What would the efficiency rating have to do with anything? If it's a 750watt PSU, it should produce 750watts whether it's bronze, silver, gold, platinum, etc....

7. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    I'm not too sure how it works. However, my bronze PSU was not good enough, despite being 850 watts, for my AMD 5700XT. I switched it out for a gold rated 750 Watt and my problems went away. Just an idea to look into.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That efficiency rating is based on the AC to DC conversion. It's how efficiently the unit converts AC current from the wall, to the DC current a computer uses. You just had a faulty power supply. It had nothing to do with the efficiency rating.

bobblunderton likes this.
  9. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Some observations,

This is the same as leaving it on 'Auto' (default) which is what you want, as you're setting the CPU multiplier manually anyway.

This allows the cache multiplier to run up to the CPU multiplier if you don't manually enter a value (i.e. Ring Ratio - Auto).

Enabled means the cache multiplier will always be 3 bins below the CPU multiplier - which helps with stability.

I'd suggest setting cache manually to 43 as you only have DDR4 2400 anyway and won't lose any performance and it will help with stability.

This is likely '0' or 'no offset' at Auto and as toyo said about AVX loads, "it can get ugly" and draw a lot more current than non-avx loads and depending on your LLC/vcore it may cause you to crash.

The default CPU multiplier for AVX loads on the 9700K is 46 on all cores, so if you want the CPU at 4.8 GHz set the AVX offset to 2 and if you want the CPU at 4.9 GHz set the AVX offset to 3.

You can always try setting it higher later once you are stable.

Turbo is -75% reduced vdroop or 0.4 mOhms of vdroop (reducing it from Intel's default 1.6 mOhms of vdroop) which may be too aggressive, causing undershoots on light to medium loads - depending on the vcore you have set. It also has the effect of increasing thermal output as the minimum vcore on load increases.

I would set CPU Vcore LLC at 'High' (High is -50% vdroop or 0.8 mOhms of vdroop).

You should set it to 'Power Saving' to mirror LLC at 'High';

CPU Internal AC/DC Load Line - Power Saving

Power Saving: AC 0.4 mOhms / DC 1.3 mOhms

Set CPU Vcore to 'Normal', and leave DVID at +0.000 V to start off.

Monitor 'VROUT' under load in Hwinfo64 to see what voltage your VRM's are actually feeding your CPU.

Don't use CPU VID as this is what the CPU is requesting - not receiving (i.e. don't use CPU-Z)

If you are not stable add a small amount to the DVID offset in steps of +0.010 V or +0.020 V until you are stable.

Set your Windows power plan to 'High Performance' while you are testing stability, this stops the CPU multiplier and voltage from dropping down (I know you have Speedshift, EIST and C-states disabled but you should do this anyway as it effects PCI-express also).

Also, prime95 26.6 is quite old - you should upgrade to the current version Prime95 Version 29.8 build 6 as it has the option to disable AVX (Options --> Torture Test --> Custom --> Disable AVX2 / Disable AVX)

Are you just running blend on prime95, because that may not stress the system enough.

Have a look at this thread on reddit for some harder testing of a 9700k using prime95;

Reliable and "Realistic" AVX Testing with Prime95

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    It was good enough for a GTX 680, AMD 7970 and an AMD 570. I throw the 5700 XT in there and stability begone until I upgraded my PSU. Perhaps coincidence I also swapped drivers, so there is that.

11. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    If an 850w PSU cannot power a 5700XT then it's defective unless you're running two unlocked OC'ed Xeons (which ones may still be overclocked, few and far between) for CPU's or something similar. Power supplies slowly get weaker over time, too - some more than others.
    To the original poster:
    IF you still can't seem to stabilize it, no matter what voltages to the processor, read below. If you get it stable, dis-regard.
    If getting random errors all over the place, that's somewhere between the following...
    Bad PSU under load / Bad PSU, or not enough / incorrect voltages for set OC through motherboard. Attempt to slowly increase voltages until symptoms change, one at a time.
    Bad memory OC, weak or faulty memory stick, borderline faulty motherboard, VRM throttle issues*, or motherboard BIOS just plain not happy with memory model installed.
    *not using an OEM-style down-draft cooler will cause you to not be cooling the VRM as much as you normally would be expected to as-designed. While there's no shame in using a nice tower cooler, or a nice water cooler, keep in mind you need some extra airflow on those VRM's! When they get hot, most boards will throttle their duty amount and hence the CPU and this can and often will cause a BSOD. Now I know no one here prefers an intel cooler, and you don't often even get it with k-model processors anymore (as it is/was useless!), it's still something to consider when trying to stabilize a wonky system.

Or just be happy with the system the way it is by default. K-model processors sold on the promise of overclocking are a bit of an empty promise anymore; and needing to buy a 100$ water cooling solution to get the most out of it, leaves you feeling like you should have gone the next higher tier of processor and left it at stock. Gone are the days of enjoying taking a cheap processor from 2.5ghz up to 4ghz.