New vr headsets announced for pre order

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by XP-200, Apr 30, 2019.

1. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    So, what I know about the Valve Index so far off the top of my head iiiiiiisss…

- 135FoV (110FoV on Vive)
    - 120Hz refresh rate with 144Hz "experimental" mode (some people reported seeing artifacts etc)
    - Screendoor effect is VASTLY reduced to the point that people are saying image clarity is greater than even the Pimax 5k
    - Previews saying it's the most comfortable headset they've ever used
    - Index Controllers (Knuckles) software isn't final yet and that's why Valve have the NDA for end of the month, however the general consensus at the moment is that they're brilliant
    - Headphones aren't headphones, they're speakers that float by your ears and everybody who has used it is saying it's the best audio solution on any VR headset, fidelity
    - 3 full length Valve VR games are in the works, none launching with the Index and only one launching this year
    - Dual camera passthrough isn't yet active in software, but apparently will be used to map out your room for chaperone bounds or SOMETHING idk much about this bit
    - Trackpad on Index controllers is pill shaped, but has the same functions as the Vive wands, however people have reported it's a bit finnicky sometimes to replicate the same movements you would on a full side trackpad, such as swiping left/right in Rec Room
    - Vive Base Stations (1.0 Lighthouses) will work with the Index, but Index Base Stations (2.0 Lighthouses) will only work with the Index
    - My girlfriend was very angry when she found out I'd preordered one

Overall SUPER HYPE AND I NEED IT NOW

XP-200 likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    It is way out of my comfortable price range, i even canceleld the Rift S a and i am sticking with the CV1 for the time being because of late it has really matured software wise, really is very stable these days, and i just picked up F4VR for it this week for £8 on sale and the thing is phenomenal in VR, i was very skeptical but slap me around the face witha wet fish if this is not one fantastic game in vr, plus play it standing up for 2 hours at a time to get that real feeling like you are carrying too much stuff. lol

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well, anyone who has a VR HMD at this time go and grab Skyrim VR which is on a 50% steam sale.......this game in Vr is awesome, this is why VR exists, and i have played Skyrim and F4 to death on your normal 2d screens, but these are a whole new level of playing them, just out of this world in VR, just awesome, so do yourself a favour and grab at least one of them, then go take 20 mins to throw in some nexus mods, then enjoy......now i need Borderlands 2 VR to come to the PC.

SSJBillClinton likes this.
  4. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I've been wondering about Skyrim VR, my experience with FO4VR made me not really want to bother since it ran so poorly (thank god for VR motion smoothing). What's the performance like for you?

Also, Index will hopefully be arriving tomorrow! Can't wait since I sold my Vive last week and I've been itching to get back into some VR. :D

XP-200 likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I was getting the full 90mhz most of the time, but i decided that it would be better to just install a pile of mods that add so much to the game in every way, then just disable AWS in the game, i now have 80 plus hours now, and i only bought it a week ago, hell of a game in VR, nothing like watching a head explode in bullet time and watching the eyes travelling in two directions. lol

But you should give them another go, with that 2080ti you should have way more leg room than me.

But treat yourself and grab skyrim vr, then drop some performance fixing and enviromental and audio mods into it, these along turn these games into something else, i would advise mods for both these games as mandatory as while they are vanilla they are somewhat jangly.

Good luck in the Index, let us peasents know how it is. ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Got my Index full kit on 28/06, no early arrivals for me!

First impression - I'm gonna shove this bloody thing on eBay, Vive never gave me so many issues.
    Second "step back and come back to it next morning with a fresh head" impression - It's fantastic.
    Issues all stemmed from software which was sorted in a firmware update.

Comfort - Most comfortable HMD I've ever used, has room for improvement but may be me still finding my "sweet spot". Face padding is soft and sweat doesn't seem to pile up in the fabric meaning that long sessions of Beat Saber are totally on the cards. Can see my nose

Visuals - Everything is crystal clear, it's super nice not having to move my whole head to look somewhere and instead being able to finally LOOK with my EYES without it becoming a blurry mess. Screen door effect is there, but so minimal I forget about it when I'm immersed in a game. Field of view increase is more vertical than horizontal, but it does make a huge difference as far as presence is concerned. 144Hz is amaaaaaazing, you basically know what to expect if you've ever gone from 60Hz to 144Hz monitors, but running 144 is extremely taxing on a lot of games. Recommend to put to 120 until hardware is available that can push 144 or devs optimise their bloody games.

Audio - Amazing. About all I can say, the speakers are loud (60~% volume is comfortable, anything else is waaaay too loud for me), clear, and you can easily pinpoint the source of sounds ingame.

Controllers - Took me a while to get them comfy (had the circulation cut off to my pinky finger while playing something last night...), but they are leaps above Vive wands. Finger tracking isn't perfect sometimes, but it does a lot to help presence and throwing things feels natural. Addition of sticks is great despite some current hardware issues (can't click while moving sticks in certain directions), trackpad is functional but not as good as Vive wand trackpads. I need to find out how to remap my controls for some things as it gets in the way.

So far, so good! My girlfriend is also able to use this one without her head hurting.

XP-200 likes this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Wow, a RTX2080TI is still not enough for 144mhz. :eek:

Well at least you got it all up and running, nice one....now grab Skyrim VR and F4VR before the sales end, your index demands it. ;)

8. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I'll definitely have a look at Skyrim I think, been about 7 years since I last visited and now is as good a time as any. Any decent mods you recommend for VR specifically?

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    True storms.
    Enhanced lights and FX.
    Realistic lighting overhaul.
    Immersive sounds Compendium.
    Immersive creatures.
    Unofficial skyrim special
    ELFX Enhancer Brighter lights
    Realistic water.
    Saturation increase.
    Optimised textures for SSE
    XP32 maximun skeleton.
    View yourself
    Total charactor makover.
    SMIM(Static mesh improment mod)
    VRIK
    Lean Wolfes better shaped weapons..

That is my list so far and the game is just amazing, in VR it is the stuff of nightmare when you get a close look at some of the art detail that went into the games creatures. ;)

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I wonder what happened, nothing for 17 days, we may have lost them into VR forever. lol

11. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Hahaha honestly I've been properly hammering some VR playtime. Couldn't get Skyrim yet sadly as other things called for my money, but I've been revisiting previous titles I've played on the Vive.

Audica I've gotten completely into now that Beat Saber is a bit boring, and being able to spin the guns around on your index finger makes me feel way cooler than I look while performing the actions irl.
    H3VR is still one of my favourites, I revisit this constantly just because the guns feel the BEST of any VR game which makes the combat super satisfying, and I'm a massive sucker for roguelikes so the Take & Hold mode pushes alllll my buttons.
    It's nice to be able to play Lone Echo & Robo Recall properly with the Index controllers too, I hope to see this level of polish in more VR games as time goes on.

At this point though, I'm waiting for Valve's VR offerings and possibly Boneworks if it lives up to the hype.

Super happy with the Index still!

XP-200 likes this.
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Fantastic....once the vr bug bites say goodbye to reality....haha

I was enjoying Skyrim vr on the pc all modded and looking and sounding stunning in vr, and i would happily stand playing it for a few hours, but i then grabbed the PSVR version really cheap and my laziness won, now i am sprawled out in my comfy chair sneaking about dungeons. Lol

13. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I got my Rift S Yesterday.

Have not touched any flat pc game for 2 days which is rare for me. This is my first time in VR and I am just amazed. I have been playing a lot of Onward multiplayer and it is amazing.

The details on the gun when you look up close and having to literally get on your stomach to avoid being hit on a roof top is amazing.

With half life being announced in VR and i am sure more games to come I just cannot wait! All this in the comfort of my own home? Gaming has seriously come a long way. Best money I have spend on gaming since, well since ever really for me. Hands down.

I have the Exorcist too from steam, I have avoided it simply because I am not sure if I will be able to handle it :O

XP-200 likes this.
  14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Welcome to VR Mr Free..man......we have be...en wait...ing for you for some ti..me. ;)

Some must have games to grab.......
    Ariazona sunshine (amazing zombie VR game)
    Superhot (welcome to the Marix Neo)
    From other suns (FTL but as a full 3d shooter in vr)
    Elite D (Feel what it will be like to be a space trucker from the year 3567)
    Euro Truck sim 2 (feel what it is like to be a real truck driver now)
    American Truck Sim (Same as above but more dust)
    Robo Recall (You are in that Will Smith I, Robot movie)
    Beat saber (Mod this and then give yourself a heart attack while trying to do the song Grease lighting, which i did not amost do) lol
    SWkyrim VR (This is how everyone should port a 2d game into a VR game, 90 hours and still going)

Just a few off the top of my head..... ;)

15. Strijker

Strijker Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    Got my Rift S for a couple of months now and am enjoying VR allot.

-Visual pinball VR is awesome (bit hard to setup, if help needed I can link a guide).

It's free, all the well known real pinball cabinets for free! Super realistic how it looks and feels.
    -Pavlov VR is a great shooter with realistic weapons and just fun games (very funny interactions & voice chat with other players).
    - L.A. Noire: The VR Case files also a nice VR game (cheap to grap on gamekeys sites).

Just the feeling being there and 3d now really is 3d.
    Never had any issues with motion sickness luckily, only sometimes that your body feels a need responding to what's happening.

Super sampling helps allot with visual sharpness so I use that almost always (140-150%). Big advantage with Steam VR where you set every game with the amount of SS.

XP-200 likes this.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I use to enjoy VP way back in the day but now i could not be bothered going though setup, but i grabbed the vr pinball tables from the Stern app on the oculus store and it is fantastic.

17. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I bought Asgards Wrath last night and wooooooooooow. Now this has really opened my eyes to VR gaming. The start sea monster battle was really jaw dropping. The god mode you have as well where you can see the world from a gods point of view and interact with its was really beautiful.

Apparently this is a AAA game with a lot of hours in it. For the price this is turning out to be a great investment for me.

Also started the exorcist. Have to admit that I had to stop playing for soon into it as I started getting jumpy :). I will have my house to myself in a day for a few days and not sure if I should continue it then as I have a few cats and and a dog that no doubt will make a sound which will freak me out.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeah not a fan of jump scare games, not because they are scary but more that it is just just a annoying caught off guard mechanic, now RE7 does the whole VR horror atmosphere very well and it does not have any jump scares, and that is how you do it.

19. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    So my Rift S stopped working.... USB is being recognized, but the display cable is not.

I have a vive cosmos and it works just fine and my biggest issue is that oculus are not selling the cables separate. Frustrating.

The Cosmos however I have to say has a far superior screen compared to the rift s, but the rift s has superior tracking, though after installing the recent beta update for the cosmos, the tracking seems to be more on point, but not quite there yet.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^They are no longer selling the CV1 cable, the Rift S should be fine though as it was just released this year, so i would return it under warrenty and get a new one just to be on the safe side. ;)