Brazilians 'make' RTX 2080 Ti 'Super' with faster GDDR6

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Caesar likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    That is just cool,wish I had the solder skills to do that.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    What the hell?

Duke Nil likes this.

5. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    With current price of gpus, i would make sense, make them modular and enable at least memory chip upgrading replacement and adding.. we already had possibility to add more memory until 1997 or something like that.. and why no make gpu replacable too? So videocard would be something like 2nd level motherboard.

It would be even more ecological too.. but wait, profits would be less.. so Nvidia or ATI would not ever enable it.. it would ends like modular cell phones in /dev/null

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Hehe thats crazy! But i LOVE IT!

7. I guess the Catholics down there are REALLY progressive :)

EDIT: erm wait no nope those crosses are upside down woops

It's NVIDIA's Brazil rep...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2019
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm not sure such cards would fit anymore the physical constraints of typical mobos and cases. Video cards from this decade and the 90's are quite different. Energy consumption and thus the heat produced have multiplied, which dictates a massive cooling solution must be employed, for both the GPU and the memory, preferably also for the regulators. As it is, the mainstream video cards must be both resilient enough and affordable enough to attract buyers. BGA is one way to make both the cooling optimal and to reduce production costs while ensuring quality. In fact every now and then there has been industry talk of wanting to switch to BGA, and the things going along with it, with the CPU+mobo combination as well, but it has encountered resistance due to historical reasons, even if it was, in fact, all the same maybe to most PC buyers. I've gone through quite a few PCs myself, as I wasn't born yesterday, but I've never only changed the CPU. I've always got a mobo and a CPU when building a new PC. Although I've messed with the memory more.

9. DarknightOCR

DarknightOCR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    In fact, what they did was not take the HOF GDDR6 and get into a 2080Ti.

They took the 16Gbps GDDR6 from the new 2080 Super, and put in a HOF 2080Ti

2080Ti comes with 14Gbps GDDR6, even the HOF model

Solfaur likes this.
  10. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    I thought that with all that RTX speed, she/he would be naked by now...

11. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Here in Brazil we call this a "gambiarra".

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So they took the 16Gbps memory off one 2080 Ti, and put it on another 2080 Ti?

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    No, they did what DarknightOCR said, took memory from a 2080 Super HOF and put it on a 2080Ti.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Then I'm confused because this is what Hilbert's article says: "So here's what three musketeers in Brazil did, they removed 16 Gbps GDDR6 from a Galax RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame, and then planted that same GDDR6 memory on a GeForce GTX 2080 Ti which normally has 14 Gbps GDDR6. Surprisingly enough, that actually worked."

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's not what the article says. "Brazil did, they removed 16 Gbps GDDR6 from a Galax RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame, and then planted that same GDDR6 memory on a GeForce GTX 2080 Ti which normally has 14 Gbps GDDR'

So either the article needs to be corrected or this was a complete waste of time.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Nope: "Brazil did, they removed 16 Gbps GDDR6 from a Galax RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame, and then planted that same GDDR6 memory on a GeForce GTX 2080 Ti which normally has 14 Gbps GDDR"

Either the article is wrong or they wasted their time.

P.O.N. likes this.
  17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The article got it all wrong, Hilbert is probably tired.

They took memory from 2080 Super (two of them) and placed it on 2080 Ti HoF.
    The white HoF card is the TARGET, not the source.

https:// youtu.be/UqlKrGFmxKY?t=478 (remove the space before the "y")

In any case, those are some mad soldering skills !

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Solfaur and P.O.N. like this.
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Yes I know this, I watched the video. It's more time consuming and having the proper equipment. Solder mask is the key for the IC. Having worked for then ran a assembly and test division for a major semi firm... It just shows you how much time automation saves you versus building up dut boards by hand. Ha...

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I love the smell of flux and BGA soldering in the morning...;)

Deleted member 213629 and Silva like this.
  20. rbuass

rbuass Guest

GPU:
    nvidia/GTX 460/ 1GB
    Hello I'm Ronaldo from Teclab!

This is not correct, I will explain:

So here's what three musketeers in Brazil did, they removed 16 Gbps GDDR6 from a Galax RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame, and then planted that same GDDR6 memory on a GeForce GTX 2080 Ti which normally has 14 Gbps GDDR6. Surprisingly enough, that actually worked.

"they removed 16 Gbps GDDR6 from a Galax RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame" - no, we removed the 14Gbps memory (11 chips), from that card.
    "planted that same GDDR6 memory on a GeForce GTX 2080 Ti which normally has 14 Gbps GDDR6" - no, we planted the GDDR6 16Gbps, that we got from 2 x RTX 2080 SUPER (that has fast memories 16Gbps), and planted in the RTX 2080Ti HOF.

Summary:

We got 11 memory chips, from 2 brand new RTX 2080 Super (EX and WFF series), and put that memory modules in the RTX 2080Ti.

The card have a good improvement, and we reached excellent score (it's even world record, and more 300 points higher the max score we get before the modding).
    Like I said in the video, we believe the GPU Memory Controller should be limited, but even this way, we noticed a nice increase in the performance.

People need to understand we made a lot of experiences with the videocards (GTX 1050 4GB (desktop), GTX 1060 3GB to 1070 8 GB, GTX 1060 into a GTX 1070 HOF body, cards running with memory Micron and Samsung together, zombies and hardmoddings).

Thanks for watching.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    fantaskarsef, Silva, airbud7 and 5 others like this.