Reviews: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X and 3970X (Mega Core galore)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sweet, looking forward to it.

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Impressive

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Those are some good numbers and impressive results. Not that I'd ever have a need for a CPU like this. Intel basically got totally played out of the HEDT field, which is quite incredible seeing how a few years ago AMD was utterly absent from that segment. Intel made billions by sitting on their hands while they could, but it's costing them a lot of face now. A couple of years from now things might get interesting again competition wise.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Old TR wasn't really high end gaming's CPU, wasn't really workstation's CPU and were in concurrence with Epyc on some application...
    This time the TR is really high end CPU and not only a big Ryzen... With this gen it have found it's place, this is good :)

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the review,just awesome.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That's... yes. Lots of horsepower, and lots of power consumption! You'll need a private reactor just to fuel the thing!

7. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Excellent review Hilbert, as usual. Cheers Sir!
    This is fantastic for competition and gives folks real choice. Well done AMD on Zen2. At least we're now out of that rut where we were forced to enjoy very deliberate and calculated under-innovation by Intel for so many years, with accompanying extortionate pricing, particularly HEDT. Let's hope AMD enjoys the profits they deserve for at least the next 2-3 years, while giving Intel a much needed kick up the posterior - we need them to be competitive too, just not for a few years. Next target: Nvidia.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Amd is looking better and better with each new gen released while intel just look meh to me, my how times have changed I refused for 10+ years to even thinking bout amd as a base for my pc to actual pricing out amd based system wanting one to replace the 6700k i have.

9. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    I suggest also checking out Hardware Unboxed review. There you can see some weird but amazing gaming performance from those Threadripper cpus. Besting 9900ks in many titles and even besting 3950x by 20% margin in Tomb Rider! It seems quad channel memory really benefits some games!

Jagman likes this.
  10. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    ^ Yep, checked that out myself. Mind boggling creativity results, just imagine the 48 or 64 core versions.....

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I watched almost everything so decision has been made already (buy) I won't write more in this topic until I built the system

I have one request @Hilbert Hagedoorn and to all the other reviewers out there tough
    it would be great if you reviewed any new TR4 cooler that (hopefully) comes out because last week I spent several hours looking for good TR4 cooling and only found two worthy models..that's...not much...
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-tr4-sp3-for-ryzen-threadripper-review,1.html
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-tr4-review,1.html
    I like having more options on a 3k+build

12. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Every year you will be waiting, and never buying anything. Only chearing :p

13. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    I got a 3600x for 200 euros, new. But will definetly buy 4600x (Zen3) when it comes out or even maybe 4700x, and that will be a cpu i plan to use long time.

14. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Mighty review for even mightier CPU ;)

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    As always great review. It beats the $3000 Xeon W-3175X!!!!!

Big Congrats to AMD on great processors, but the consumer market for $1.3K to $2K processors is super tiny. While anyone hoping that AMD will take the industry over, it’s never going to happen. We’ve seen that predicted in the past. :cool:

https://i.**********/tJkqJc4S/Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019

16. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Isn't AMD literally beating Intel at all pricepoints right now, though? The 9900K being the only holdout, still leading in the pure gaming market - but let's be realistic here, how many people go out and buy a gaming-only CPU today, especially one on an aging, dead-end platform? Most of us do other things on our PCs besides gaming, and those people will now go with Ryzen.

Truder likes this.
  17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    [​IMG]

According to Anandtech, 3970X pretty much trashes Xeon W-3175X, while costing $1000 less.
    Heck, even 3960X beats it in most tests, while having less cores.

[​IMG]

That CPU and platform is pretty much EOL now.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    We have a new king!!! The MT numbers are simply ridiculous and make everything else feel small... The only downside is the power consumption. The best CPU for those who can take advantage of all that firepower because for someone like me it´s just useless...
    Anyway congrats for AMD for releasing this beast and beating Intel!

Great review as always!

19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    My 2 years old cpu.... Still pretty good :p
    [​IMG]

20. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm really curious about the power consumption figures, and how those relate to the specific motherboards/BIOS revisions used. The figures I see here are in line with what Hardware Unboxed got, and they also got pretty amazing gaming performance, while Gamer's Nexus has much more frugal power consumption and more expected gaming performance.