AMD: ZEN3 architecture finished – expects 15% faster IPC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it appears to be a misquote.

2. Oh... @Astyanax how so? Here's the original source for that excerpt/story and that quote is intact if I read things right (I may not have) EDIT: I think I understand what you meant now. Misquote of the quote - lol. GURU3D tongue twisters...

Original source, article quote first appeared. - "Real Money" By Eric Jhonsa - Nov 18, 2019 | 09:00 AM EST
    "AMD Inks New Server CPU Deals; Data Center Chief Discusses Them and More"
    [​IMG]
    Original source of quote (above article) didn't claim 15% uptick in Zen3. Would have been newsworthy; isn't intention of quote.
    Remain a skeptic? Write Eric Jhonsa a friendly letter & ask the man himself! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019
  3. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Great, not sure I will upgrade this time though unless it also works for AM4.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it will - would be silly for them to launch a new socket right before DDR5 hits mainstream only to have to launch a new socket again.

I honestly think one of the best decision AMD made was not constantly swapping sockets.

5. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    One of the factors cited seems neglected here. The "things which had to be left on the cutting board" sounds very real world to me.

Deadlines can be brutal.

zen is so fresh and new, and budgets are blossoming, so i imagine there is a lot of low hanging fruit at this stage of its evolution.

6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    If you have a gen 6 intel or older (or even anything 7xxx that's not a dynamite overclocker), you will be very pleased with a 3700x CPU or 3900x if you wish to splurge a bit. The 2700x is also currently listed for 160$ at Micro Center & you get 30$ off the price if you include an AM4 motherboard in your purchase (almost any motherboard there). So 130$ for a 2700x, which easily rivals 4xxx~6xxx intel chips, or pick up a new 3700x which will be even quicker and have a lot more cores VS the quad-core-with-Hyperthreading we were accustomed to.
    I made the leap, very happy with the new system I put together around August!
    x570 Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 (Pci-E 4.0, intel NIC, 8 sata ports, open-ended PCI-E slots (for accomadating longer cards). ~150$
    Micron RAM that was on sale 2x 16gb sticks of 3000mhz CL15 ~2x 70$
    3700x boxed processor with boxed cooler, replaced paste with liquid metal in very very small quantity, as there was WAY TOO MUCH paste on the cooler from the factory. Was 50$ off with combo at the time so ended up paying 329$ for processor and 104.99$ for the motherboard.
    1TB NVME drive (Inland brand, was on sale.). ~103$
    Of course Seasonic PSU, external BD-burner, used full tower Fractal case for 40~50$ off auction site, and used 50$ Sound Blaster Audigy RX
    Rx 480 8gb that's a hold-over from the old machine, it got hit by some surges so it's down-clocked 10% but still works for now.
    So I paid about 800 for the parts not including video card, case and my 3$ BD-Burner drive (yes, and it's not even stolen!!!)

Works great. Does CAD stuff in Maya and runs BeamNG Drive stuff like a total pro. Working with graphics in professional software and even simple zip/unzip file management operations had a considerable reduction in wait-time. My 4790k @ 4.4ghz just could NOT hold a candlestick to this.
    I listed my modestly powerful system for those interested in making the jump. I just put the bare-minimum motherboard in but you can get an Asus if it suits you better, though from an added cost perspective it wasn't worth it for me.
    You will not regret the jump one bit from intel, unless you already have an 8086k/8700k/9700k/9900k processor.
    No boost issues. Never updated BIOS from release days as it 'works fine', why fix what isn't broken? No heat or noise issues from CPU cooler or the chip set fan (which many people say makes noise, I have a sound-deadened case and even with the side panel off I can't hear the chip set fan EVER - though - that being said nothing I have is PCI-E 4.0 yet).
    Processor overclocks itself as needed, without PBO enabled, stock cooler is 'good enough' unlike any intel ones from Pentium 4 "Prescott" onward.
    Extra cache memory helps the process scheduler keep the cores fed quickly, with limited 'wasted hops' in the CPU.
    Upgrade path is a BIG bonus as I could put a 16-core 32-thread 3950x in here one day when they're more affordable. Purportedly Zen 3 will slot into an existing AM4 motherboard, keeping fingers crossed. That being said I'm running 92 people in a Rimworld modded colony on this with a bunch of traders here and 200+ animals in the map, and it's going along nicely yet, SO much faster than the other machine was.

Consider it, you won't be disappointed as it is easily on par with intel for the most part, sometimes winning, sometimes losing. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you ONLY game in multiplayer competitive gaming with 144hz refresh rates with a monster GPU / low settings. Things with file zip/unzip, encoding, working with video/graphics/model editing is much better here. No buyer's remorse, and honestly, not sure why you're still waiting.
    This was not a paid post etc. Just totally honest.

Undying likes this.
  7. Man can't beat it ... good ole' Microcenter still kickin as Fry's is a dyin' heh'

bobblunderton likes this.
  8. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    So 130$ for a 2700x, which easily rivals 4xxx~6xxx intel chips

you give to little credit to Amd
    let me show you what a 2700x can make with 3600 cl15 ram,x470 and ryzen calculator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Frequency is just one part of why Intel still rules in gaming. The others are lower memory latency, and lower inter core latency, and it doesn't seem like Intel will be abandoning it's monolithic die strategy so they will likely keep those advantages.

Also, Zen 3 might face off against Intel desktop CPUs based on Willow Cove if Intel can get its act together in 2020, which it seems like that's whats happening.

Intel isn't going to take this laying down, but at least AMD seems serious about decisively taking back the CPU performance crown in all aspects so it's going to be game on in 2020!

10. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Your a fool to not be updating your bios and that backwards quote of "why fix what isn't broken" doesn't stand up in computing. Ryzen 3000 bios was broken at from the start whether you like it or not. So my advice would be to update the bios.

11. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    That's and exception not the rule mate.Very few ryzen plus go over 2900memory stable.

12. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    What?I have 3 systems hero vi,hero vii,x370 gaming 5 and ryzen 2600x,2700x,1600x all of them works from 3200 2 3600.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's just not true. My previous 1700x and my wifes current 1600 both do 3200Mhz no problem, and the 2000, Zen+ CPUs had it even better.

14. Lol oh noooo someone had to say something about another user’s RAM and the knives came out... :mad::mad::mad:

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    For Zen 1 (1000 series), 3200-3400 is reasonable with a good board, but more ... not really, must be lucky.

Zen 1+ (2000 series, non G) goes all the way to 3600, but that's the limit as, the IF cannot go higher than 1800 on those chips and there is no "unlinked" mode on them.

DDR4-3800 (aka, 1900Mhz) are easy to do for a lot of Zen 2 chips (including mine).
    The controller can certainly do more, it depends on the memory kits on how low/tuned the latency can go.
    (It's better to keep it in sync with IF, 1:1, so up to 1900Mhz, the using faster memory and adding buffering in the I/O die - which adds latency)

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Amd is moving to an 8core ccx, cross ccx latency wont be an issue for mainstream chips on zen3.

17. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Rubbish, my brothers 2700X and my friends can't do anything over 2900 cant run XMP 3200 so they have to lower the speed manually with 32GB of ram.
    I know there are some that can do it but MOST can not. Some 1JZ can hit 600Hp and only a few maybe can hit 800hp but MOST do not. The claim that if mine can do most can doesn't stand up to the complaints.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Must be you bro, fiancée's 2700x is running 3466 c16 just fine

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry that your brothers setup has an issue, but its his issue, not ryzen.

Either he hasn't fully updated his BIOS to the latest for his CPU(Doesn't need to update for support of 3000 series for instance) or is because he is using XMP rather then manually setting the settings to exactly what the RAM is stated to run at or has faulty components or is because he's using 32GB of ram which is probably using 4 slots.

And now you're saying something about horsepower which has nothing to do with this conversation, but i'm just going to put this out there, you did not state that "not everyone can run beyond 2900Mhz", that i'd believe, there's a lot of factors that may make that not possible, such as quality of CPU, quality of motherboard, specific motherboard chosen, quality of ram, specific ram chosen, how much ram you have, how many DIMM slots you're taking up, etc.

So yeah, i'd agree, it's likely that not EVERYONE is able to hit 3200Mhz+, but THAT's the exception with updated BIOS's, not the other way around as you stated here:

And that, very specifically that, is where you are wrong in all counts. Very few Ryzens are incapable of going over 2900Mhz stable. This is fact, if you want to try to state otherwise, thats your own choice, but it's not correct.

You'd have been right with that statement if this was back in 2017 within the first 3-5 months that ryzen had been released, but we're not there now, it's 2019, there have been a ton of updates to the BIOS's, and the issues of not being able to hit 3200mhz are the exception now, not the rule.

20. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    I can go even 3733(tridentz 3600 silver-red) with loose timings ;) and that is the maximum for the memory controler(2700x).