RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks ! (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous o_O

2. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    OnnA likes this.
  4. Nolive721

Nolive721 Member

GPU:
    6600XT
    Yes i agree. I paid 6months ago 550usd for my vega64LC so really no point to pay more for little performance improvement. And i dont have a water loop so its more an AIO solution that i will replace my card with

5. GeRmAnOs

GeRmAnOs Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6950XT
    I got problems with my new asus strix vega64, traying about 20 cables of all type from dvi to display port and cant eliminate this wierd signal errors. Displayport cables dont work at all on all DP ports, only DVI and HDMI working. And what is the strangest, situation is improving after turning the monitor on / off but it is still not as it should be because I still see delicate red sprinkles. Anyone got problem like this? My old r9 390 works pefect with all cables i test with vega.
    Video of problem:

https://imgur.com/a/USV5g4y

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    OMG That ASUS GPUs are just a joke IMO.
    Motherboards are great but GPUs are Weak as fink.

7. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Lower the HBM speed to like 800 if you can. Check if that goes away do the same with the gpu core.

Run DDU and clean the drivers in same mode

OnnA likes this.
  8. GeRmAnOs

GeRmAnOs Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6950XT
    Trying everything for about a week now, today i replace strix with vega64 LC;):p:D

MaestroBayten and OnnA like this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    A LOT of very good and useful info for Vega owners. Thinking about getting one.
    What brand is the best for Vega, AMD standard , Sapphire, MSI, XFX, PowerColor?

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD standard LC , Sapphire, XFX & PowerColor :p
    If You can go for Binned LiQuiD if You find one.

Try to avoid Default blower ed. & Strixxxxx lol
    Rest will do the job, You need 1650MHz | 1100HBM2 + Mem Tweaks & UV.
    Then, rest is happy gaming.

Also Pick some 1440p 10Bit Monitor with minimum of 70Hz + FreeSync.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    AMD Standard is the blower edition?
    How to know which comes with Samsung memory?

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Vega 64 uses it but for the Vega 56 it's going to need GPU-Z or other monitoring software and see what it reports.
    It clocks a bit higher and bios flashing can allow for a bit more since from what I remember of this Vega 56 uses 1.2 or 1.25v instead of 1.35v used by the Vega64 for the HBM and this can't be adjusted through Wattman itself.
    Instead of 900 Mhz then 1000 to 1050 might be doable though both vary and in general as long as you do smaller clock increases it should show errors first before crashing so you know when to dial it back a bit.

Hynix here, started with slow increases let's see 800 default to 850 and then +5 up until 875 where I figured it would be a good stopping place though it might have worked up until 900 or possibly a bit higher though the performance gains require the entire GPU to clock a bit higher to get the outmost of it but it's still only a few percent at most above the default outside of some of the benchmark software where it can give better results. :)

Higher core clocks allow for better bandwidth and hitting 1700 to 1750 Mhz core and 900 to 950 memory can give a nice increase up to perhaps 6% or so but I found it more beneficial to keep a lower clock and less voltage instead of trying to push the card to the maximum possible.
    Somewhere around maybe 450 GB/s bandwidth closing in on the theoretical 512 GB/s performance and a nice increase from the Fury GPU which has the same problem though that alone isn't going to give any major performance gains.

GPU is good at some things and less so at others, benchmark and compute work can draw out it's advantages though and low level API usage like Vulkan and D3D12 help too when utilized well.
    (Which well that's going to vary.)

Anyways there's no real way to check via GPU-Z and see what it reports or getting a Vega 64 where it should be only Samsung type HBM instead of a mix often with Hynix but Samsung is still used.
    (Not sure to what extent though.)

EDIT: 4 - 6% and nice gains but then comparably the GPU core itself gives around 1 - 2% from the defaults and a decrease of about the same if dropped somewhat lower for downvolting purposes.

Current AMD cards aren't exactly seeing much of a gain from overclocking though a bit is possible at least.
    (And again with some differences when the cards can be fully utilized thus some bigger gains from benchmark results.)

Could differ a bit in newer drivers too getting some additional efficiency from the cards compared to earlier drivers but I think they're fairly optimized now for Vega and have been for some time already.
    (Radeon VII giving it even more bandwidth and some other tweaks and that's how it achieves around a 20% gain up and down a bit depending on what's tested.)

EDIT: Well and before I forget the results are also a bit on the low side since the default clocks are already near the limits. :)
    (Potentially a bit more headroom from memory clocks thus a bit more room for gains.)

OnnA likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    @anticupidon you would be better off with a Navi card. Just get a blower 5700, swap it with a 5700xt bios and Ola you have a beast of a card for 320Eur.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I just meant LC.
    Sammie is in all of Vega 64 AFAIK.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Undying yeah, but i wasn't prepared to spend that amount on a graphics card.
    More down to 200€ or close to that price.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Depending on local pricing and availability though yeah Navi has come down in cost a bit and it gives the Radeon VII competition while being a more mid-range product though it also shows that GCN has some limitations for how the hardware could perform although the architecture differences and improvements in RDNA also do their job so the GPU is quite impressive and I hope the higher-end oriented models some time next year can show how far AMD might be able to push this.

Vega isn't bad though it's just a bit hampered by the limits GCN has and some of it's architecture and design and what it's good at and where it struggles which is a downside though the GPU is also still among the fastest on AMD's side plus the cost should have gone down now as AMD seems focused on Polaris as the budget choice and Navi as the pricier alternative though once the 5500's and other low and high end models are out I'm expecting Polaris to be shifted out a bit.
    But a 570 or 580 is pretty aggressively priced at this point so that's not going to happen anytime soon, even the kinda overly high clocked 590 is seeing a price dip last I checked.

Well as to Vega there isn't too much of a issue with how to utilize it just ensure it doesn't hit any throttling generally by keeping it well cooled and it should do it's thing without much tuning required.
    (Downing the voltage a bit and other adjustments are helpful but kinda specialized and not really required even if the recommendation for doing this is found just about everywhere.)

EDIT: Yeah that's a thing with Navi after all, close to 300 - 400 US Dollar which is a cost consideration whereas Polaris or Vega is often found in a more comfortable 150 - 200 depending on model and then add sales or discounts and you get a pretty solid card for a very reasonable price. :)

Third party Navi models kinda push this way too far also with an extra 50 - 100 US Dollar where competing products for a similar price is going to be a factor even if it might cost a little bit more.
    It's a 5700 or the full 5700XT GPU with a custom cooler on top with a very limited performance increase for a not all that insignificant price increase for some of these although a few are more reasonably priced too.
    (Expecting to see the same for the 5500 soon now that it is out.)

EDIT: Eh I'm not that good at explanations without making it very over detailed or dragged out.

Vega is still a solid graphics card and the prices are coming down making them very worthwhile GPU choices!

That's about it, min maxing via overclocking and undervolting can then be done to fine tune results somewhat but it is a bit more advanced and for normal operation and performance it's generally not a requirement. :)

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    That Navi price hike is due to ATI jumped in into new Node (7nm) ;)
    .... which is costly BTW, we need to wait min. of 6-8months for price to come down to more resonable 250-350€ levels.
    Then Navi will be great choice, now is better to have Vega64/56 + OC & Tweak.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    1920x1080 on what I assume is another Cry-Engine 3.x build from Sniper Ghost Warrior which means we're hitting right in the GCN CPU limitation. :)
    (D3D11 too I suspect.)

EDIT: The 580 results already confirm it though with Vega hitting the same limit but also being more affected so the minimum fluctuates more.

Plus you can use a Intel CPU with a solid performance or a Ryzen CPU with a good performance but made for a more threaded or multi core workload for full effect.

And here's this title on a older engine maybe somewhat scaling to a quad core at best.
    That's going to be a issue too. :)
    (It's improving though but scaling above a quad core is still kinda hit & miss in many games though yeah it's improved a little over the years so at least it's something.)

EDIT: Would need Navi results as well as that lifts this limitation at least somewhat and that would give some interesting comparison results as long as the card isn't doing this. -> ~~~~~ meaning the performance is scaling up and down constantly because the CPU is kinda hitting it's limits as the engine isn't scaling to higher-end hardware very well thus the GPU suffers and clocks down while waiting on the CPU and framerate fluctuations happen.

20. Dener de Paula Pereira

Dener de Paula Pereira Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

I have my 56 with hynix mem clocked at 950mhz
    I'm able to flash it to 64 and clock it to ~1050mhz
    but i'm worried with the long term effects