Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT

coc likes this.
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    In a way, Valve has to do this. They invested heavily into VR, including releasing an uber-expensive headset for it. If they don't create suitable content for it then that investment isn't worth spit.

Oh sure, they could have released a traditional version of Alyx, but then people wouldn't get into VR. Creating VR exclusivity means that people will be forced to adopt VR in order to play (I know we gamers don't like being forced to use a particular platform - especially if it costs money - but this is the only way it will work).

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Apparently Valve is working on other Half-Life games!

Hopefully the number 3 is involved and it's not tied to the use of a vr headset to enjoy it :D

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I use my 2080Ti everyday, I would use VR a LOT less than that :) So, I'm looking at price vs utility here.
    Same reason why I haven't upgraded my pad in a good while, the one I have still works but I only use a pad during flights/trips and those happen 2-3 times a year max. And again a reason why I haven't bought noise cancelling headphones, I could certainly use them but they cost 250€ and I would only use them on trips.

See where I'm going? :)

Serotonin, angelgraves13 and Undying like this.

5. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    seeing comments in this topic i feel like a lot of fans aren't looking at the whole picture. business wise,
    Valve never stopped working. HL2 came out more than a decade ago, and the easiest thing is to point a finger
    and think about "they are done with pc games". i mean.. what the hell ? Steam is THE platform for PC gaming
    since they started to put the foot on the gas with it. its just that people today take for granted the things that they
    achieved, both for the consumer and for developers worldwide. not so few of the original crew that worked on
    the HL project are done.. so why should they release something they are not happy with it ?

im looking at this HL VR game as a good sign of things to come. to me, it feels like an important
    step on the way to HL3, to a new engine and good things for Valve. its not surprising at all that they
    chose to market this project with HL game.

this is one step ahead to HL3. that is my opinion, and i know im also a minority on that matter,
    and its ok. i feel like we are going to see a HL game ( PC ) in the next 4 years.

6. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    They didn't achieve anything. Consumers have created Steam, not f*cking Gabe. Get out of that superficial thinking.

The sad thing is that they have all what is necessary to make good games, yet they do nothing.

Serotonin, Archvile82 and Undying like this.
  7. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    this is superficial thinking to me. by a long shot. both consumer and developer point of view.

they are investing energy with everything related to it, time and money, on different sh*t at the moment. i fail to see how its defined as nothing.
    few months ago Gabe answer some questions and it was posted in reddit. he never said they are done with developing pc games, or
    exposed his plans for Half-Life.

you prefer Valve to release f*cking moronic products like F76 or the the latest Bioware crap ? semi-ready games ?
    because i don't.

Kolt likes this.
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Half Life 2 was pretty boring. half of it was a tech demo. Ravenholm was pretty nice though.
    The most fun i had with episode 1 and 2. That's what made me love HL2 (since they are a part). if it was just HL2 without the episodes , it would have been forgettable.

Personally i like they are stepping out of the box. steam controller , even though the design sucked, was a pretty good idea. This VR kit is also a good idea. we need to evolve, go from mouse + kb and controller, to VR or something else.
    I really dont want to play on mouse and keyboard all my life that is for sure lol

Kolt likes this.
  9. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Why do you use crappy companies like Bethesda or Bioware to compare? Why not CDPR or Warhorse?

And what do you expect from Gabe, to tell you the truth?
    Long time ago Gabe also told us that they will never create a game for PS3, because it's the worst platform ever created. Yet they did exactly that.

Childish hype, superficial thinking, like you are born yesterday.

10. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Well what away to abuse a beloved IP is all I can say.

Some people have to be really naive to believe what Valve say regarding reasons for doing this...as a publisher, for years all they have done is tried to create money sinks and done nothing for gamers who like immersive story telling. Hell they were happy to sell mods with Bethesda before the huge backlash.

This is purely a marketing move from a game publisher that is poorly managed when it comes to game output.

Also before anyone says you need to try VR, I owned a rift and had a lot of games on it. Its certainly an experience, most immersive experience I ever had in horror games(to the point I couldn't play anymore) and dirt rally but it's an immersive experience suited to a theme park in all honesty. I'd feel sick and have a headache after only a few hours gaming on it. I also didnt have the room for it. I also prefer gaming on my 55inch 4k screen as VR is the last thing I want to mess around with after a hard days work.

Back to the topic, marketing move, if they cared about the half life fan base we would have had half life 3 or episode 3 years ago. I also call bull on them saying they couldn't beat half life 2, HL1 was a much better game imo. Replaying HL2 in modern times and it hasn't dated that well...again imo.

To finish, what makes people think they will do a HL3 after this, they already said the reason for doing this game is down to VR. Why go back to traditional methods if that's how they feel.

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    fine by me. works the same way around, i think your opinion is based on your personal emotion towards Valve,
    and that's childish and superficial. il end it here for the sake of the topic itself.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Half Life Alyx 2
    Half Life Alyx 2 Episode 1
    Half Life Alyx 2 Episode 2 :p

13. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Never hype video game companies, ever. Approach their games with constructive criticism, praise what should be praised, and heavily condemn what should be condemned. And never give them stupid 10 out of 10.
    Otherwise, you are gonna end up with what you have today, like Bethesda, Bioware and other.
    The same stupid childish hype and superficial thinking have convinced these companies that they can do whatever they want, with the idea that the consumers are extremely stupid and that they will buy their shitty products, just because they are Bethesda or Bioware.
    And of course don't give them your money, especially not the full price.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's funny how this new Half-Life announcement hasn't caused a spike on Twitch.

You would expect people to celebrate a new HL release by streaming HL1 and 2, but nope they're all giving Valve the finger :D

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's still a long ways away. It's also unsure who will buy this game - is it worth buying expensive VR hardware for this one game? I've thought about buying a VR set in the past but could never quite bring myself to do it, and I probably won't do it for this game either. I kind of look at it like a console exclusive - is it worth buying a PS4 to play [PS4 exclusive]? Ultimately, my answer was no.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Do you guys not have VR headsets?

Looks like Valve is repeating Blizzard's mistake.

Serotonin and Undying like this.
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They could have sold over a 100 million copies of HL Alyx.

Instead they're not even gonna hit 5 million.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That hurts....

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    A official HL vr game, how did i miss that announcement, bring it on, i am vr ready and able....time to w a k e up M r Freeman, vr is ready for y o u.

dark_surge, MarkyG and SSJBillClinton like this.
  20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No they just gave any man and his dog a program to do that while sitting back and counting the money while it flowed in

No not in the slightest, every man and his dog has a phone so their is no barrier to entry. That gaff was made bigger by the fact that it happened at a Blizcon event were everyone was expecting a new Diablo announcement and didn't get what they wanted, however if the disappointed fans wanted to try the game they could download it for nothing and give it a try. Anyone who is disappointed by Alyx can't just give the game a try not unless they happen to have a VR headset lying about or are willing to invest in one. By that virtue this makes Valves gaff orders of magnitude worse.

Amaze likes this.