Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Depends on what shaders are used though LUT's and color balancing is certainly popular even across a dynamic time of day game and multiple lighting conditions where it'd need to be reconfigured frequently to match, personally I mostly just go with some debanding and if needed post-process AA thought these have limits as to what ReShade can do though there's some pretty fancy although very specific results for screenshot purposes and single scenes or setups using some very stylized shader work.

Sharpening is popular too although even the more indepth shaders for this often sees pretty high values in presets at least for what I would consider often revealing ringing or masking and the usual whitening and noisiness from a value that is simply too strong particularly against brighter surfaces though it would counteract the TAA blurriness although imperfectly as a overlaid screen effect on everything rather than as part of the TAA shader for example.

I like what the newer versions of UE4 achieve here for upscaling and fine tuning image details including newer TAA options but that's not common in other games or game engines and TAA can be very variable in how it appears and also performs.
    (This for example which would apply at least to The Outer Worlds and Jedi Fallen Order using 4.19+ or specifically 4.21 https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/ScreenPercentage/index.html )

Although from what I've seen the game itself supplies some sharpen shader and as expected some users even tweaked that above 1.0 using values like 3.0 or higher though I don't have the game itself so perhaps full 1.0 is actually conservative instead of going all out as the lone exception of these shaders and what full strength does. :p
    (Well it can't be worse than how some devs implement vignette and chromatic aberration or film grain I suppose, subtle or about as far from subtle as possible.)

EDIT: Or ReShade sharpen on top of the game sharpen effect, that'd probably look very much not really good but oh well individual preferences and tastes and all that, or just a intense hatred or blurring and running the game at 7680x4320 downsamping to 1920x1080 might just be a bit brute force for most current GPU's to handle anywhere near well enough unsurprisingly.
    (Well a bit lower could work but higher is better so 4x4 is a good start - 3840x2160 for 1920x1080 - but it could be more.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    thought the game looks great on PC Ultra tbh

jbscotchman and Grimbarian like this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I read this entire post.

[​IMG]

XenthorX likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    correct for 90% of use case though.

Grimbarian likes this.

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Pretty much my experience as well.

That said if someone swears by a specific reshade I would gladly take a look, stunning looking game (and I don't care what anyone says it's the best looking game in my 40 or so years of being a gamer) but there's always room for a little nip and tuck improvement somewhere :)

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. Id be interested to see some reshade pictures too. My game runs and looks fantastic but I find sometimes at night, in the forest or swamps, and fog..that its nearly impossible to see my character. Ive thought about upping the brightness but then that would make the early mornings even more brighter.

Riding around with the sun in your face is realistic but in a game its very annoying lol

7. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    You really need a video which constantly turn the screen-space GI on/off to show what it brings. RDR2 looks amazing on its own already.

jbscotchman likes this.
  9. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Anyone stable under DX12 with a RTX card? I need to re-test after the update yesterday but DX12 just seems to crash all the time for me.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Just did another test with Vulkan after not bothering since release. I'm still getting the same random stutters, frametimes just seem much more inconsistent than dx12.

11. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Checked again just now and I have lost access to RDR2 and the pre-order games too oh well... Was hoping for a glitch in my favor :)

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    DX12 sucks, Vulkan is where it's at.

13. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Except lower FPS... DX12 runs better for me, it just crashes.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    lol, why are you running DX12 if it crashes? Seriously bro, you have a 2080ti, What in the hell do you have to lose?

15. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I think you're missing the point. Vulkan runs fine. DX12 I have higher average FPS. I Want to run DX12 not because I think the name sounds cool -- I want to use it because my frames don't dip to 44 FPS near water while its raining under DX12, and they do under vulkan.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This is just bizarre to me.

17. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Even Hilbert in his graphics review said DX12 was higher average FPS in RDR2.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Think it depends a lot on the CPU you're using. Hilbert tested with a uber i9 config, on my side with my i7-5820k vulkan performed better.

19. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I'm a 9700K @ 5 Ghz.

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm on a first gen Threadripper, Vulkan has consistently been higher FPS for me and I have not had a single crash in 30+ hours of gameplay.

I'm really hoping someone creates a mod to allow me to acquire every horse in the game and start my own ranch. Between hunting and exploring I haven't even got out of Chapter 2 yet (and probably won't for awhile still).

Embra likes this.