You've redeemed an Origin Access Membership Code

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Loathe to start new standalone threads for stuff but I got this email last night and was a little disconcerted:

I haven't redeemed any code etc. Apparently EA are giving out one month's free Origin Access/Premier to everyone has 2FA activated on their account:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/login-verification-and-origin-access/

Obviously in this day and age of passwords being brute forced and then accounts sold in various places 2FA is absolute common sense any way but weird EA did this then didn't bother telling people about it (AFAIK?)!

I have Origin Access Premier Annual and it's now showing the next payment as 28th November 2020 so I definitely got a free month.

Maybe too late to apply it now to get the free month but a handy reminder to anyone that doesn't have 2FA activated on all their game clients!

2. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    Im glad they finally got around to giving everyone that.. I was gonna have to pay for next month after doing it initially for a year. It's been worth it to me, so many good games.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I was wondering about this. Someone just tried to hack my twitch account and then I saw this and figured it was another scam

Grimbarian likes this.
  4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Yeah exactly I thought this was some scam at first, like someone accessed my account then bought a game on it or something, typical poor communication it doesn't really make it clear that all is ok and legit!

Hence the post here in case it saved anyone else being concerned :)

5. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    I don't understand the confusion here at all. It was documented in multiple places of information that you would get a free month. This is just how they were doing the redemption process. I guess if you weren't paying attention to any of that then yeah sure, but we are all gamers who use this type of stuff (not just here but anyone who uses origin and pays for it) and when you see this type of email go out, it is their assumption that nothing malicious is going on and that you were aware of the promotion and this was just a follow up stating that yeah, we added time to your account. I also have been told I don't think they way normal people do (ADHD) I do think about how information is provided to me in different ways than 90% of the population. To me though, I don't see the issue other than people don't pay attention (again I pay attention and continue conversations because i'm assuming the others are on the same topic as me) and are paranoid.

6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    The first I was aware of it was the email I quoted, and I'm not the only one in the same situation. It was nothing to do with me paying attention or not, but thanks for that :)

7. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    I sit at my computer 24/7 and have no life, so that may be it too lol. I guess I shouldn't assume that everyone who games (I'm talking about hardcore gamers here not casuals that game once or twice a week) look at gaming news every day. So to the people who don't, I see why this would be a problem.

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I game every day. I seldom read gaming sites though they rarely have anything to interest me, I just keep track of specific upcoming games that I'm interested in via NG4.

If EA had sent an email at the time saying "sign up to 2FA for a free month" it wouldn't have been an issue, but they didn't not to me at least!

Solfaur likes this.
  9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I game every day but not on Origin and can really care less about any of the games I have on there which is why it was confusing to me.

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just dis-regard that email, and change your Origin password. A few months ago I had around 12 attempts from Russians trying to get into my Origin account.

11. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Nah, no reason to change password as it isn't a hacking attempt.

EA has been scaring PC gamers into thinking their Origin account is hacked (apparently for two weeks)

EA Scares Origin Users Into Thinking They're Hacked For No Reason

Its just a poorly-worded email that has led players to believe that their accounts are at risk.