Geforce RTX 3000 Ampere: Data center March, Consumers June 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2019.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Want. Almost certainly can't afford!

airbud7, Loophole35 and Maddness like this.
  2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Will def want to get the 3080 ti , been looking to wc my gpu as well but didn't want to invest in my 1080 ti as its too old.

Hoping it'll see a price drop like they say,compared to the 2080 ti.

That RT performance boost sounds interesting too.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This, it should be a really, REALLY interesting summer/year in regards to GPUs. I don't know what I'll get, but I sure hope that the market will be competitive again in all segments. A "3080Ti" at 1500 euros will be a hard pill to swallow, but at least if the performance is there, it will still be easier than going for 2080Ti, which was and still is one of the most overpriced high-end cards nvidia released in recent years. I'd gladly go AMD if they can offer something similar, or at least close.

4. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Alllllrighty!! Gotta hold out on my 1070 for a little bit longer!

airbud7 and Robbo9999 like this.

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Samsung’s 7nm EUV process (if indeed that is what pans out) means that chips are cheaper to produce, which raises the prospect of a cheaper or slightly cheaper card than Turing...It will be interesting to see if the rumors that AMD has an "NVIDIA killer" in mind means an killer for this generation or...the worst case scenario for the Turing generation because this means that AMD will still play catch up with NVIDIA...Anyway, based on how AMD will play it, the pricing policy dictated by NVIDIA will be aggressive or not.

I have big hopes in Intel as a third player because this means more competition and better & cheaper products for us, consumers. They certainly have the money and infrastructure to play a role in discrete graphics card market.

I especially liked this in an interview with Intel:
    ...and rumors summary:

NVIDIA Ampere will feature :
    1- "Massive" performance uplift in ray tracing.
    2- Higher Rasterization throughput.
    3- More vRAM across the board.
    4- Lower TDPs.
    5- Slightly higher clock speeds.
    6- "Potentially" limited overclocking capability due to lower voltages.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Solfaur likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Never again in my life I will spend more than 700 Euros on a GPU, unless I move to some proper country with adequate human wage.

Point is - middle of the barrel should be the most interesting segment next year, as all 3 players will compete heavily there.

NVIDIA will still most likely lead in terms of performance, however, this time they won't be able to put extortion prices for top end product.

Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wouldn't bet money on that.
    Because I need it to not have to sell organs.

And just to have it said, I think the top dog will still be Nvidia, 2nd coming AMD (which competes up to 3080 maybe), then in the true "mainstream" segment, it's going to be tough competition.

Maddness, airbud7 and cryohellinc like this.
  8. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    If AMD can truly release something on par with NV's best, it will not be cheap. It will be closely priced.
    The days of them undercutting are probably behind us. They may be a tad cheaper at best.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think all depends on what resolution you play at. If I would still play at 2560x1440 I probably would have kept my 1080Ti. 1080p users obviously have no need for 2080Ti or similar so they're good.

If the gain is the usual 25% then you'll get a 50% faster card compared to your 1080Ti and rumor says that due to competition the 3080Ti will be bit cheaper than the 2080Ti. A total win for us consumers this time due to competition.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @barbacot
    "Does Intel have plans.."
    thats exactly what it is, a plan. not reality.
    just because i had plans to retire at 50, doesn't mean its gonna happen.
    and coming from a brand that forced/forces ppl to buy mid/high end cpus with on board graphics,
    i doubt it is anything that will fully counter the whole Nv/AMD lineup. not happening.

11. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio

You are absolutely right, AMD is kicking some serious butt in low and mid range. Without a doubt.

But we have to realise that Halo effect of a brand flagship plays a massive role in some people's decision, due to the innate need of humans to feel like they belong.

-If someone sees nVidia topping charts, even if they are buying low end, they may gravitate towards the brand which is at the top end.

-If your favourite streamer uses his big bucks to buy nVidia 2080ti, you may wish to buy the same, because hey I wish to be like her/him.

There are quite a few other psychological reasons that play in, and this is why every brand needs a Halo flagship product. Not to make profit on that specific product, but to build brand recognition. This is the reason why Dual GPU cards existed, not because they were selling alot, but because they had a halo.

Ryzen 3600 is selling like crazy because #1 they are best in that segment, #2 they have the behemoth 3900x now, and 3950x coming in.

So, if AMD does the same for graphics, which is continue to do what they are doing at mid and low and build rep at high end, they will sell more at mid range.

Just my 2 cents.

12. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Most of you are wrong, from a business perspective AMD really should start competing in the ultra high-end.
    One of the biggest advantage when you have the performance crown (that most people forget) is constant FREE advertising !

This month a bunch of AMD and INTEL processors will be review and in all these reviews NVIDIA 2080 ti will be mention and use (even if NVIDIA has nothing to do with those release) just because it's the best card, and it isn't only CPU review but most build;experiment;game testing;motherboard review; articles and videos use the NVIDIA 2080ti.

NVIDIA get constant free advertising, and this is not some kind of tin foil hat conspiracy, they just have the best card, nothing more....

Maddness and airbud7 like this.
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Meanwhile all we have is a few rumours on RX 5600 and 5800 while AMD can't freaking release the announced over a month ago RX5500...

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    That would be awesome, although i think such a big improvement is doubtful - even with 7nm :)

15. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    While I am planning to upgrade from my 1080 to a 3080, I am going to hold off and see if the rumored GeForce Now RTX release happens. If I can get RTX Titan performance from streaming (which works pretty well here at home), I may just give up on spending this much every 2-3 years.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    At this point i don't think it would matter. Even if AMD would release a card on par with the 2080 Ti for 700$ USD people will say this is too late and would wait for the 3080 Ti and would still pay the nVidia taxe. You could say AMD just have to skip a generation and wait for nVidia to release a 3080 Ti and have something equivalent ready and sell it for 15-20% less. But then people would just wait for the inevitable 3080 Ti Super Edition Gaming Unleashed released 6 months later and would pay the nVidia taxe again. No matter what AMD does nVidia will have something ready performing better even if they need to break their usual release cycle and people will gladly pay the nVidia taxe again. If AMD does the same people will say AMD is too late they already bought nVidia.

At this point i don't think there's much AMD can do outside of waiting for nVidia to make a big mistake that will tarnish their reputation to a point people are not willing to pay the taxe anymore. It always amazed me how people are willing to wait 6 to 8 months for the usual nVidia refresh but when AMD releases a good product 6 to 8 months later they are "too late to the party". It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I have been buying mostly nVidia cards for the last 15 years or so. The only AMD card i owned i those years was a 5850 bought in 2009-2010 i think. Had 8800 GTS, 8800 GTX (the GTS died after 6 months or so), 670, 770, 970 and 1070. nVidia pissed me enough with the RTX lineup that i decided to buy a 5700 XT instead of just waiting for the 3xxx series (or a price cut to the 2070 Super) like i would usually do. I'll re-evaluate my position in a year or so but i'm done waiting for the usual refresh and thanksgiving price cut next time i'll buy what is best in my price range when (and only when) I'LL be ready to upgrade and call it a day. If it's AMD it's gonna be AMD and this time around it was AMD.

17. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    ...because they are nvidiots and for them "good" is not enough ???

I myself admit that I am one because I think of myself as an enthusiast and I always want the king of the hill of performance in storage, video, etc - and Nvidia is at this point the uncontested champion for graphic cards. Once again, NVIDIA does not make its big money from rtx 2080Ti but we're talking about bragging rights here of having the best performance card (we're not talking about price, price/performance ratio, efficiency, etc). AMD needs something like this like air if they want to gain respect and put some pressure on Nvidia in the very high end graphic cards market

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  18. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Can ya do it for £999 this time so I can at least only pay half and trade in my gamingxtrio for £499.

19. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    If the prices are reasonable (like they were in the 970 era), I'll snatch a 3080. The 2070 Super already looks tempting on Black Friday.
    However, if it's yet again 750-900 Euros where I live, I am sticking with the 1070ti even if it means playing at 30fps. I refuse to give Nvidia, Intel or AMD so much money for lower performance gains.
    Hell, I've already had saved enough for a 9700K, and when I saw that HT is now only on i9, I ditched it. Same for the 2080 I planned to buy. I will keep the damn money.

carnivore, Caesar and Solfaur like this.
  20. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, honestly if they release a card that matches NVIDIAs top end a year later, then yes, they are late, because for a full year, NVIDIA had the crown. A year is a long time to wait.
    But prices not withstanding, if they managed to release say 3-6 month after NVIDIA and challenge their performance, maybe that wouldn't impact prices much (personally I would expect it still to impact it on some level), it would at the very least drive innovation forward. The 2080 Ti is over a year old, and if it had any competition, it might have seen a successor already. As it stands now, it'll be over 1.5 years until it gets replaced, possibly longer if they don't launch the "Ti" flagship of the 3000 series right away.