Sony PS4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 7, 2014.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I moved to console gaming recently, don't own a gaming pc anymore.
    This hobby was getting out of hand, selling and buying new pc parts almost every few months.

I picked the ps4 pro as my only console, I had a one x too but send it back.
    I hate switching which is why I never owned both pc and console.

Ps4 has been out for so long, can't believe the f2p selection is so small. :(

I can't wait for the ps5, I think it is going to be a huge success for console gaming.
    Also the reason I switched btw, I have high hopes for the new consoles. :)

Serotonin likes this.
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm with you. I'm not upgrading my PC again. I'll play what I can while it's still modern, but once it starts to age, I don't care anymore. PS5/Xbox Scarlett will be my gaming from now on. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have impressed me so much, what they can do with exclusives...actually blow PC graphics out of the water to a degree. I understand the power of PC, but it's so disabled by 3rd party games and lazy porting.

signex, XP-200 and serbicu like this.
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Serotonin, signex and serbicu like this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, turn on and play, love it, and being a console gamer is way more easy today when you have PC video cards alone costing more than a whole console with a 4k UHD inside it, hell my GTX1080 was £480, my XBX £380, mad times indeed as they are just outpricing the casual PC gamer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Serotonin and signex like this.
  6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Exactly! I miss the old days where you just use a gaming system just to play without hassles.

30fps didn't bother me, some games actually make that look smooth. The Order 1886 for example, it almost looked like it was running way above 30fps.
    And the graphics wow they impressed me so much.
    I'm so happy I got to play it, I hope it gets a sequel.

I do miss my pc exclusive mmo's like WoW, but a cheap second hand gaming laptop should be enough.

XP-200, Serotonin and serbicu like this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Just reading the PC thread regarding RDR2 proves to me once again that PC gaming is nothing more than an after-thought by companies, to milk a game for more money after it's fizzled out on console. I've felt this way for years but was in a habit of keeping my PC up to date regardless. Now I'm married, I have a mortgage and a few other hobbies and yeah..priorities have snapped me out of simply upgrading out of habit to upgrade rather than out of enjoyment.

There is no justification for a $1,200 dollar gpu (2080 Ti) WITHOUT ray tracing, being unable to run a console port @ 60/4K. And like I said in that thread, all of this just shows how much care and effort and how damn powerful the Xbox One X is, that this game ran in the high resolutions it did with the detail is has.

This is why I'll take slightly less IQ on a console than PC. I'm not 17 anymore. I don't have the time, nor the interest in sitting at my computer for 2 hours tweaking something, searching for patches and fixes, drivers, reading user experiences on how to get something running and never actually playing or enjoying it. When I load up my xbox/ps4, I don't have fraps to make me focus on the frames, I don't care. The game works, it doesn't crash, it doesn't need settings to be tampered with, it just works. PC at some point became too convoluted. Like..PC gaming right now reminds me of old linux users. They would brag they were on linux but it would take them 8 minutes to get an mp3 to play. But it was linux! At some point, you don't need to show off your smarts or abilities, just enjoy the technology. And for me, I've lost that enjoyment on PC. Tweaking is fun and fine for some stuff and once in a while, but once it becomes a necessity for every damn game, from every company, then launcher issues, and so on..it's too much.

drandiiski, signex and XP-200 like this.
  8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Glad to see they reduced the price of ps now. Some great games in there now.

But I'm still not burned out on the new CoD game.
    Still need to finish GoW and HZD.

I wonder if Sony's support can make my old HZD save to work with the complete edition.
    Cause I was pretty far, now I have to start over..
    If I had known this I had bought the base game instead. :(

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Huh, i guess its hard to prevent something impulsive.

Personally I built a PC back in 2013 which ive kept up until now (just put together a new ze2 sys) and the things i bought on top were only Storage/GPU and case (basically the things that had originally carried over from the previous PC, actually only ~less than a year ago i completely removed 1tb WDblacks i've owned since 2009, +case from 2009 that was making far too many metallic vibration noises)

Kept a 970 pretty much up until now starting from sept 2014. Based on my own personal recent experience I feel like PC is the easiest its ever been to build and just keep the system since the rate of progress has slowed down to a crawl.

I bought my PS4Pro almost 2 years ago now, don't regret it at all, tho i find it curious you just did with the next console boxes being back-compat. Guess you plan of selling it? Suppose that's always an OK option as long as you sell before the new cycle to make a decent enough amount of money back.

signex likes this.
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I just grabbed HZD complete editon for £10 yestarday as i had been putting off buying it or any CB4k Ps4 game due to the fact that my Pro is a harrier jumpjet with any game pushing cb4k, but now that winter is here it might not sound so bad, so i took a chance, grabbed a copy on sale and hooked the pro back up to the 4k TV, so hope it drops through the door tomorrow....so finger crossed. lol

How did we end up in the position of waiting for season change before we use a gaming console. lol

signex likes this.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol that's why mine was probably so quiet.
    I moved downstairs cause it's too cold, I don't have a heater in my bedroom.

But now the fan is audible but only in certain scenes in codmw when there is a lot of blur.
    Like in the gunsmith menu and when picking a scope crosshair.

So about third party ps4 controllers, why do so many have input delay on the thumbsticks!?
    It feels terrible, I can't imagine anyone comfortable with that.

I bought a tutuo ps4 wireless controller, it had good reviews.
    And it took quiet some distance for the thumbsticks to react.
    Like having a huge amount of dead zone what you see in some game settings.

Before I bought the nacon compact ps4 controller.
    It was fine and good built quality, but didn't fit well in my hands.
    And my finger couldn't really hit the R1 button lol, so much for "compact" with my big hands...

I was a pc gamer sinds 1999, before I played n64 and ps1.
    My parents aren't wealthy so online gaming I had no idea existed lol.

I was always the one with a shitty pc, so that probably triggered this impulse of keeping up with newest hardware.
    But I've come to my senses that its just not worth it, I've had it all and never made me really happy.

Not sure what to do with ps4 pro when ps5 releases.
    I hope it won't gets replaced, I mean its not out for many years.
    It should still be able to run next gen games at 1080p surely?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    XP-200 and Serotonin like this.
  12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I started PC gaming in 2001 and was stuck on a crappy pci slot until late 2002. Ti 4200 was my first AGP card. My issue is with PC, I want the latest and greatest or it's pointless. Like, sure, I can have a 1060 gpu right now running games at 1080 and lowering some settings, but then, why not just have a console? PC 4k, higher frames and all that is the whole point I want it. But then I slowly realize how ..well, honestly, I like exclusives far more than 3rd party titles. And PC is a port box. Unless you have some low budget, obscure steam game (looking at you bright memory) or rts, you're not getting exclusives.

I like Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Dawn ...back in 2001, PC had their own exclusives. Battlefield 1942, Quake 3, UT99 and then UT2K3, Painkiller, FarCry, Half-Life, Half-Life 2...stuff that might have eventually landed on a console, but was trimmed down quite a bit to make it on. Now it's a complete opposite. I just can't justify the expense to stay current on all the hardware. I miss those PC exclusives. RIP Crysis.

XP-200 and signex like this.
  13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

I would pay money to have a option to turn that bloody light bar off on the ps4 joypad as it is nothing but a battery drain even on dimmed, and i have old battered cheap xbox 360 charge packs that still lasts longer than the ps4 controller. Lol

The Pro like the XBX should be fine when these new consoles launch at the end of next year as all i think they will be are just another incremental upgrade, which is nice and all, but i doubt they will blow the old hardware out of the water by any big jumps, as we are already enjoying 4k hdr, possibly better loading times in games and some other improvements.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Serotonin and signex like this.
  14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    heh, funnily my last console too was ps1+n64 and put together my first PC (previous 2 were hand-me-downs that couldn't really game) in 99 (p3/riva tnt2).
    and no, ps5 game's won't work, it's just ps4 and (??questionable: because unlike MS ps3 wasnt x86 based) ps3 games that will supposedly also run on ps5.
    So no PS5 games for PS4, maybe on a per release basis some games like EA sports games did in the past with 2 different versions, one for the old console one for new.
    Better to shed the dead weight that this console gen was/is anyway. The CPU is abysmal holding back game design too much.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Oh i don't know, the pro was £350 and the XBX was £370, and when you see what they do with such limited hardware in games like God Of War and Gears 5 or Forza 7, with 4k and hdr out of the box for those prices, it really does put into perspective the fact that most of the pc gamers market just relying on the grunt of £800 video cards and £400 cpu to fix what seems like a unending list of performance issues in all these unfinished games they seem to throw out the doors these days, hence why £1200 RTX cards can't even run new games without a ton of issues today, it is a ridicules state the gaming industry is in today.

Serotonin likes this.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The PC community is to blame. They complain on forums like these, but pre-purchase the same games they claim they aren't going to bother with. I've seen it a hundred times. 30 page threads of complaints, game releases, same people now complaining about performance and bugs. If people stopped buying the unfinished games, developers would be forced to finish them before pushing them out. Console gets far more attention, it's very annoying. For "PC Master Race", it's always an inferior broken product. RDR2 is the most recent example. There's just so many ways you can crap on PC these days. It's sad. Because I would love to have to keep upgrading. I would love to keep myself into the hobby and still look at consoles with an unaccepting eye. But I can't. Hardware vendors hike up prices and bake in garbage features. Again, we buy them every time.

RTX is the most recent. You had Hair works, PhysX, 3D Vision...all were poor performing and buggy upon release and all eventually faded away after they sold a line of cards based on their hype. Intel hasn't changed much in almost a decade. CPU's in general. Performance gains @ 4K are about non-existent. RAM prices are just screwy. Now, take just that ...then put it all together, gripe about these issues but still build a new pc ..then purchase RDR2 and open a whole other slew of issues.

This is a big reason I'm focusing on console. I want PC to suffer so they get their crap together. I'll gladly come back when a top-end GPU stays below $799, buying a mobo for a new cpu every other cycle actually gives decent gaming performance gains at higher resolutions, AND THE GAMES WORK OUT OF THE BOX...or off the download. Developers ignore gamers pleas...I'll give Rockstar that much, they are working to fix RDR2. So many companies just pretend nothing is wrong. Remember Batman Arkham City? Realistically, I want PC to be great, I'd love to stay with it. But I have to practice what I preach and stop supporting such a dumpster fire.

drandiiski and XP-200 like this.
  17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i had a couple of hours today to play Horizon DZ, and just like GOW what a stunning looking game, jaw dropping gorgeous and plays like a dream, hard to believe this is CB4K, just stunning, and even better my pro after a few hours of this does not sound like a hoover, and you could even play without headphones on, so just goes to show what a drop in room temp can do for this, but also Sony get your act together and make sure you have a cooling system fit for purpose on the PS5, one were i don't need a cold season and cold room because this is not 1983 pc server rooms. Lol
    But yeah what a fantastic looking game.

Serotonin likes this.
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am tempted buy the 300$ pro but i still unsure, 7216b models from what i been reading still suffer from coil whine and still have 50/50 chance to have the silent fan or the loud one.

think i might try and ignore the sale and wait for the ps5, sony need sort out Fan issue and fix the damn coilwhine issue.

think buy my a/v unit i been wanting to replace for years is better choice, maybe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    XP-200 likes this.
  19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeap, at this point and with only 12 months to go i think you would be best keeping your cash for the ps5, and dodging the whole fan and coil whine issue altogether, save yourself the hassle, i have only stuck with it because i don't really use it for much other than the odd exclusive that has interested me or for the extra power for the few psvr games i enjoy on it, so it is not on that much.

20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Just remember with first generation hardware comes first generation issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 had it's own noise problems or defective hardware for the first few months.