AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Available November 25th at 749 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 7, 2019.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    For the other stuff they do with the PC :D

2. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Agreed 100%. Also making idiotic assumptions that folk - especially enthusiasts - only game. The stench of an Intel-funded comment is strong...expect more as the reviews come out.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sure, it's a bit crappy when your CPU with ample cooling+power can't achieve the advertised boost clocks, but I don't recall any manufacturer (including Intel and Nvidia) guaranteeing boost clocks. If they did, then that'd completely defeat the purpose of all-core boost clocks.

4. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    6 cores is the new 640k? :p

(Funny writing this using a VM with more than 8 cores, let alone 6)

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What? I have not wrote that. I wrote that even lower clocked, lower IPC 6C/12T is quite sufficient for gaming targeted on DX-R features. As such CPU is not bottleneck.
    And as far as gaming goes, in time 6C/12 CPU becomes bottleneck in given scenario, there will be super cheap 12C/24T CPUs.

But maybe you did not mean my little self and there was someone other mentioning CPU that may be considered as 6-core...No, there wasn't anyone other.
    So thanks for naming what I wrote as idiotic while taking it completely out of context.

And I am actively using over 30 cores in multiple systems while waiting for 3900X to replace 2700X.

6. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Sad, but true.. It kinda reminds me of the GTX 1070 RAM advertisement, but here at least some samples can achieve the advertised frequency.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    UP to... Advanced Marketing Deception. So, what would be DOWN from? What would be the bottom frequency? Zero (o) hertz?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this was only due to the setup of the threadripper previously, it might be all ccd's connect to a single io die before being routed out to all the components on the motherboard.

9. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Seeing a lot of AMD emulating Intel now lately. High prices, no cooler included. Expensive mobos. Threadripper with new socket. Where's the outrage?!

10. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    Because there is none you can get away with a x370 b450 b470 ect for am4 and if you want the best because then your willing to pay and obviously your not going to stick a wrath cooler on a 3900x or TR, as where if your intel you have to jump to a new mobo just because.

11. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I for once would be happy to have option to buy CPU w/o cooler. They are not bad, but most of people will not use them.

13. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Bit late to comment about this, but it seems some MB manufacturers are releasing beta versions of 1004, so maybe keep an eye for revised versions?

"It is worth noting that when quizzed, AMD acknowledged that some motherboard manufacturers were putting out ‘beta’ versions of 1.0.0.4B, rather than the full release, and they recommend that users should wait for a full 1.0.0.4B version for their motherboard (even though some motherboard manufacturers aren’t exactly being clear)."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15062/amds-2019-fall-update/2

14. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Fox, the comment being referring to was deleted. Your comment and this "So thanks for naming what I wrote as idiotic while taking it completely out of context." stands oddly out of context, given what's been posted.

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Even though you're a known Intel shill that keeps blasting AMD on every occasion, I happen to agree with you on the Threadripper parts:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...-and-trx40-chipset.429319/page-2#post-5729535

The price markup for those is plain insane, and will have to come down if they want to sell more than a few thousand pieces ... 32 cores should be $200 LESS than last year's 32 cores, not more !

---
    On the other hand I think 3950X price is justified. It's a halo product with specs that never existed before on the mainstream market.
    Many, many people will buy it, including those that have skipped 3900X for being the "half step"

We have to remember that just 3 years and a half ago, before Ryzen Gen1 launched, the maximum cores on mainstream (dual channel memory) was just 4 !!
    So having 16 (and fast ones too) is amazing !

I would gladly pay that $749 if I was in a need for that many cores, but thankfully for what I do the 3700X with just 8 is more than enough.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Rly, oddly out of context?
    angelgraves13 could have reacted at any time to correct meaning of his statement. There are notifications for quotes. And he is able to use quotes too. I have no ill will towards him. It is just that for specific uses, one can get away with entry level CPU w/o any problems for half a decade. Then Upgrade when actually needed. Most of people do not need to spend on CPU, GPU, MB, ... as much as they do.

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Both of you, you just WON THE INTERNET.
    Sure I love gaming. We all love using our cat launchers to rain fire and rats cats on the unsuspecting virtual populous of the virtual world we have in our games, especially when you need to blow off some steam after a hard day at the orifice office. This isn't the selling point for everyone though.
    I do content creation here, AND game. So RIMWORLD's always open in the background for my down-time (when I am not creating content), but I also use Maya for modeling things and for the occasional rendered preview (which is ray-traced if I remember right, don't quote me). I use multiple programs for graphics (that texture on the wall isn't one graphic, it's usually a good 3~5 or so!). I use multiple programs for terrain maintenance and generation (due to still learning the new one - World Machine, why so serious...ly complicated!?).
    First things first. I use a 3700x / x570 ASRock phantom gaming 4 (cheapest one I could find with the new chipset, 50 bucks off too with Ryzen purchase at Micro Center.), 32gb of on-sale 16gb sticks of 3000mhz CL15 - Micron memory - works great. Used RX 480 from another machine, new 1tb Inland NVME drive (why pay double for Samsung name?), new Seasonic 620w PSU (a little meager, but more than plenty, and was much cheaper than a 750w unit). All in all I ended up with a used 50$ Fractal full tower in excellent repair, and put it all together and it's a real winner for content creation.
    Why? My 4790k didn't 100% survive the local substation blowing up even with a surge protector strip, Seasonic PSU (got RMA'ed), and an Asus Hero motherboard. It was bad, blew out stuff all over town luckily we're 10 miles out almost, so we got little compared to what north end of town got. So after 5 years, it was time to take the old but well-loved Windows 7 powered 4790k dog out back, and blow it's head off to put it out of it's misery.
    Rimworld pawns used to crawl around the screen on the old machine, they RAN like their rears were alight on the new one. My driving / physics simulator stuff had an AMAZING increase in performance - 2~2.5x better... not to mention MUCH less hitching when multi-tasking on a daily with all the cache memory on the new CPU compared to the old. The performance on 7ZIP was exponentially better, zip / unzip operations took 20% OR LESS of the time it did on the old machine (yes, I was amazed).
    I do content creation for BeamNG Drive. I regularly use 16~32GB or more of memory, this 'game' (a driving simulator to be proper) needs all the cores it can get. It takes the entirety of the CPU to comfortably run 13~20 vehicles in full speed (anything above 20fps) with AI enabled for driving as traffic. This still has somewhat noticeable increases in single-core performance over a dud of a 4790k clocked at 4.4ghz, but not TOO much, the new instructions help this though and make a difference. That being said this performance increase is yet with 3000mhz cl15 RAM - paltry compared to something better like 3600mhz CL14 but much better on the budget (though still leaving a good 10% performance on the table).
    Why not the intel? Well look at Red Dead 2's performance on a 9700k VS the similar-priced 3700x. Consistency is best, and overclocking while doing content creation is a big no-no. I'm almost 40 and sick of the LED's blinding me (the tower sits on my Oak desk at eye level) and spending 100+ on a good cooler just to get a few hundred mhz extra, when I could have bought a better CPU with that money.
    I could buy a 300$ motherboard. A 100+ dollar fancy water cooler (yay LEAKS ruin everything what fun, let's put water in an electric box THAT'S JUST GENIUS NOTHING BAD COULD EVER HAPPEN!), buy a fancy k-series CPU, and what does it get me? NOTHING, there's a CHANCE to get a LITTLE faster, but NO NOTHING promised. So none of that. I don't want to have to do all this - including paying for it all - just to use it daily.
    The AMD by contrast boosts out of the box - It does this all for me by default. For a lesser price with 100% the stability, and MUCH better socket support as-per processor upgrade potential later on. No boost issues here, not one, used the stock cooler but Coolaboratory Liquid Metal on the cpu after scraping off the much-too-plentiful stock stuff. I really wanted to keep my old Windows 7 4790k machine going, but after 5 years with no socket upgrades that were worth buying, there's no point anymore.
    Would I do it all again / any regrets? My only regret is not buying a 3900x when it stared me in the face; but ah, I wanted that money to do some brakes on my Corolla with, my OLD Corolla that's paid for with 160k miles on it that still goes about it's duty without fuss, and not eat peanut-butter sandwiches for a week due to money issues (not rich, not broke, but somewhere in the middle).

So entirely, I am mind-blown by how much better this Ryzen 3xxx is than my intel 4790k... I didn't want to upgrade with everything set-up already on the old machine, but she went to the desk in the sky without me, and left me as I slept without saying as much as goodbye.
    So it's time. Anyone with anything less than an 8xxx intel based machine should make the jump unless you have a golden 7xxx sample or something similar.
    Fanboy? No, just a good deal fanboy. That's all. I like a good price that won't leave me with buyer's remorse or crash out my content creation.
    It's fast, it's quiet, and it didn't take me to the bank. I can make my BeamNG Los Injurus city mod daily and not have to fuss with it or deal with overclock instability, and enjoy the other things in life when I have time (not having to be at this desk making it work again or testing overclocks etc).

Thank goodness for competition, I am sure Hilbert can agree with that one - and so should EVERYONE in here. That is all. Just happy to not have a quad core as my only option for under 400$.

jura11 likes this.
  18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Intel HEDT now really has no reason to exist and surely no market? Being eaten from both ends by 9900k on clockspeed and the 3950X on threads.

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Indeed, HEDT was Intel's mega milking farm from it's inception.

AMD attempted to stop that with Bulldozer with it's 8 "almost cores", but unfortunately ended up with really poor IPC so that product didn't budge Intel's dominance a single bit. Actually, things got worse for them as most software was still single threaded back then.
    2nd "many cores" attempt (Ryzen) fared so much better and finally pushed Intel themselves to raise the core counts ( up to 8 on mainstream, up to 18 on HEDT , versus the previous limits (up to 4 mainstream , up to 10 HEDT).

What Intel didn't realize is how fast Ryzen will continue to increase core counts... they were most likely taken by surprise when news broke that AMD will go chiplets allowing massive increase in core counts in a very short time !
    And unless Intel goes into chiplets themselves.... they have no chance on recovering.