AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Available November 25th at 749 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It will be a busy month with lots of processor releases and reviews. AMD today has a number of announcements to make, the first being the Ryzen 9 3950X. The flagship 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X processor will be available starting November the 25th.

Read more

Maddness likes this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I still don't understand how they're going to do 4.7 when my 3900x doesn't do 4.6 on the agesa 1004.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's "up to" those clocks, maybe the best bins will manage it?

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I guess - I personally think "up to" should be illegal but that's me.

Prince Valiant likes this.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    God I love this marketing bs. Almost as much as the "effortless 1080p gaming". Who in their right mind buys a CPU to game at 1080p in the tail end of 2019. I wish they'd do away with this crap. It does them no favours. That said, this was the CPU I'd been waiting for before deciding on my upgrade path come Q1 2020. Looking forward to all the reviews.

6. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I mean, they're directly addressing the concerns of Intel fanboys who would always mention that "Intel is the only choice for high refresh gaming", since in everything else Ryzen 1000 and especially 2000 series were extremely competitive, or even better due to more cores.

PS: really interested in this ECO mode, does this also works for other processors, such as the 3700x? Asking for a friend :rolleyes:

7. stjuart

stjuart Master Guru

GPU:
    4090FE
    I have not had a reason to upgrade from my 4930k, oc to 4.6, Time to start saving money. Would it be a mistake to turn off hyper transport as I mostly will game on it, 16 real cores is more than enough for me.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's rather pricey. Still, if it delivers on its promises (including boost clocks) then it might be worth it.

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    if they manage to make a useable 4.4+ not a fake "max value for 3ms" number (note that I'm not hoping for 4.7) I'm switching plateform immediately

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I personally don't think max boost clock should be a thing anymore. Give us a base clock (AKA, the guaranteed performance) but otherwise allow the CPU to clock as high as it possibly can given the power delivery and cooling solution. Motherboards could always put an artificial max limit based on the VRMs provided. At that point, the option to "overclock" your CPU would be disabling that limiter, or perhaps lower the CPU's default tolerances. So for example let's say the CPU won't reach 4.5GHz if it's at 60C, there could be an option to override that limit, where you're gambling stability.
    That being said... I would love it if VRMs became socketed/slotted. I'd much rather pick my own VRM and solution for cooling it.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus with 3800X,why yes these ECO-modes already exist.
    https://i.**********/vBpsqPd6/ECO-mode1.png

Ricardo likes this.
  12. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    AMD is keeping their Ryzen pricing under $47 per core, nice.

13. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Those "up to" are written in small letters like contract footnotes.
    If it will be manufactured in small quantities I bet that greedy stores will sell it at 1000 $ or more...
    Eco mode for this cpu - 3950X - is useless - who in the right mind pays 750 $ for a CPU to run it in Eco???
    It's like having an Eco button in a Ferrari...

14. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I'll look forward to upgrading to this 3950X in 5 or 6 years when gaming might actually need more than 6 cores.

15. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Not 100% useless, Ryzen scales well with low power settings and someone might run a Mini ITX box or something with a locked 95W TDP.

Personally i would run my old 1700 at 25W, when it gets retired from the gaming pc, so it does not make sense to remove this feature on the 3950X.

16. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I'm in the same boat (have an overclocked 4770k). With what I play at 1440p, it still pumps out the frames I need, so it's hard to justify the upgrades.

As for disabling SMT, it pretty significantly reduces power draw, and thereby heat. You could stay in the higher boost clocks for longer periods of time with a weaker cooling solution in this scenario. If you're mostly using it for gaming, though, I'd just go for the 3700x, overclock it, leave SMT enabled, and use the money saved to upgrade your graphics or storage. If I remember correctly, the X79 motherboard you have currently doesn't support NVMe drives, so that would probably be a worthwhile upgrade. :)

LEEc337 likes this.
  17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    People who enable RTX? /s

theoneofgod likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    But they definitely are ones that have no need for fast CPU. Even Ryzen 1600 does in given scenario same job as newest 9900KS.

19. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Then it wouldn't be boost, it would be base. They give both numbers.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Or just guarantee the boost like they have in previous generations? lol..