[Win10 64bit] Local Security Policy: Administrator Account Disabled?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Phil Tuncap, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I'm the only user on my computer, which is also the Admin account:

[​IMG]

But I noticed in the Local Security Policy section, the Administrator Account Status is set to disabled:

[​IMG]

Any reasons why this shouldn't be enabled (it's disabled by Default), or reasons/advantages of enabling it, since being the only user, I'd like to not be hindered in any way. Whether I screw up something accidentally is irrelevant, I'd prefer to have the option to mess something up by doing something wrong rather than being restricted in the first place, kinda hard to learn from your mistakes if mistakes aren't allowed to be made ;p

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s not your account disabled. That`s built-in Administrator account disabled. When it is enabled you can login as "Administrator" (in addition to your own account). That`s for work computers.

Mda400 likes this.
  3. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    aha, ok thanks.

Edit: Just to be clear, any policy that says Administrators under the User Rights Assignment applies to me as well correct? Even if my username is on the the list of Users where Full Control isn't checked off (security tab in explorer), my Admin status trumps my user status ( i assume).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

All policies (and permissions) applied to that group "Administrators" are applied to all participated accounts.

PS Another usage of built-in Administrator account is to make things more secure. You operate on daily basis with your own account without administrator permissions, and when you want to do something administrative you log in as Administrator.

PPS As for security permissions you can always watch your effective permissions on each object.

5. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Not quite sure how to do that. And also, I just tested out what I was looking for in that policy section and doesn't work...

[​IMG]

as you can see, I gave myself privileges...I can try and add my actual User name if that matters, though that seems kinda redundant to me..

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Phil Tuncap
    You can ignore "Lock pages in memory" policy along with large pages.
    But anyway you can see only one user added to the policy - "Administrator", which is built-in account (disabled by default). If you want to experiment with large pages you should add either your own account (which is not "Administrator") or the group "Administrators" (but you have to be sure your account is part of that group).

View effective permissions at the end of the article
    https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/set-file-folder-permissions-windows/

PS Why do you want to use SiSoftware Sandra test with large pages? That does not impact other programs.

PPS Adding accounts to policy "Lock pages in memory" does not automatically switch neither OS nor apps to large page mode.

7. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I thought something might be awry because it was Administrator and not Administrators when I added the user to the policy ha. And honestly, I don't remember why I thought to download SiSoft Sandra this morning, I haven't heard that name used in years, I just wanted to do an overall benchmark to make sure my computer/bios was set properly and I wasn't losing any performance...although it's been a few years since i built the pc and although I've tweaked/experimented lots, I never actually confirmed most of my settings really. I think I had something in my head about if I had the memory speeds/timing/strengths optimized to match my cpu/mb since 1) I'm using all 4 memory slots, 2) it's 32gb which is wasn't sure if performance is degraded with that amount , 3) i remember the mb manual mentioning about only certain memory speeds could be used if all 4 slots were used because of a restriction from one of the chipsets. Basically wanna see if there's any bumps I can smooth out, and seeing those warnings pop up got me curious.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  9. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    It's gonna be a bit for me to read all that and grasp what's going on

Oh haven't read it all yet but you're just saying for me to disable those 2 features in the registry and in powershell i take it...