Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    So is this where Nvidia stops optimizing pascal, and we all start pretending like a game made to run on the equivalent of an AMD 7800 series is "compute heavy"?

2. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    Wow! This game is really really badly optimized. requiring a $1200 GPU to only play it on 1440p!!! I was not expecting that after the great port of GTA V on PC. maybe RockStar should have stayed with DX11. DX12 (and Volkan) is not easy to optimize for PC hardware with thousands of different configurations.

3. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    For those like me who are trying to find whats giving the biggest hit (because resolution doesn't seem to drastically affect FPS, at least for me.

It seems reflection quality and the water physics simulation are a big hit if you max them out. Scaling them back nets a pretty big boost and I can't really tell much of an IQ difference so far (i was dipping into low 40s in some scenes and now it stays in mid to high 50s).

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Why? I never expected to run this on my 2080 at 1440p all maxed with 60fps. Did you?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people are really not understanding the polgyon count, draw distance and dynamic shadow and occlusion being used in this.

also that ultra settings are not for playing, they are for screenshots.

Settings to tweak down to medium
    Particles
    Particle lighting quality (particle shadow casting)
    Grass Shadows
    All volumetric settings (these were heavy in MH:W)

Long shadows off

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Irenicus likes this.
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Looks like this game needs more work. However, the situation doesn't surprise me when they can't even be bothered to fix the GTA V crashing bug/s.

I'm gonna sit on the fence. I was always more Buzz Lightyear than Woody.

Astyanax likes this.
  7. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    Of course I was expecting that. also I should remind you this is not locked 60FPS. it is averaged 60fps on a short few minutes benchmark. some people reporting dips below 30fps even on a 2080ti during gameplay. this is terrible optimization, there is no other excuse for that. RDR2 runs 30fps locked at 4k on Xonex!!! how can it run like this on a $2000 PC???

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its not terrible optimization, its a new engine doing new things which makes all cards on the market cry at a visual quality not seen in any other title so far.

We now have "But can it run RDR2"

Tune your settings!.

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    great test HH !

people of the thread that found a chance to flame .... the game can be tweaked when gta5 came out was also insanely heavy when you max out your settings ... draw back your Anti aliasing ... reduce few settings ... that will give you a 70-80% or so fps boost ...for meaningless visual quality hit ...or nothing you can tell apart with out still images ... jesus so many people acting like the only setting on computer is Ultra maxed out quality and nothing else .

10. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Stormyandcold likes this.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Really sad to see such bad performance at 4K even with the all mighty 2080Ti.
    @ManuelG Could you ask mr Huang to release the 2080Ti Super ASAP? It's very much needed, thanks! :)

12. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Hi Hilbert. Can you please go a bit lower with the GPUs that you test? Maybe 1050, 1050TI?

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Fixed it for you mate.

Although I have to admit, I'd be more curious about whatever number it is they call Big Navi at this point. Not that I think it will outperform a 3080TI, but you never know.

Oh, and just saying, still not regretting buying a 1440p screen instead of a 4K one.

Dragam1337 and gx-x like this.
  14. Unstizzy

Unstizzy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    So I hate to be "That Guy" who says "My game is running fine!" but I think I may actually have been that guy who lucked out on the troubleshoot issues on launch. FINALLY for once in my life! Anyway

R7 1700 @3.7 constant
    @2933 1x16g (EDIT) 1.35V (Yikes sorry for typo 3.5V, I am not responsible for computers that just exploded)
    Asus X370 Prime Pro
    EVGA 1080Ti Black Edition (Racist card) :\

Had the dreaded launcher crash after startup

- Updated to BIOS 5220 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/
    - Set launcher ONLY to admin (removed border and admin from RD2.exe)
    - Running NVIDIA 436.88 (didn't update)
    - Literally everything maxed

It's running very well and once in a blue moon i feel the sub 60s FPS drop for a split second. It feels like 60-80fps constant. Like I said I hate to be the "Well mine is working fine" guy but it finally happened to me so I thought I'd might share some insight. ALSO my buddy is running the EXACT same setup as me minus the Ti (Just 1080 Black Edition). He only updated the drivers and has a super old version of bios. Maybe a AGESA issue somewhere? I dk. GL gents

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Same here. Works great. I'm running this at 1080p on Ultra and it runs pretty fantastic. I have yet to notice any frame rate or stuttering issues. (GTX1070 / 4790K)

When I first started the game, it crashed while loading the story mode. Since then, zero issues.

Stormyandcold likes this.

16. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I would love some analysis of the TAA implementation. It seems to be bugged? Is it supposed to cause such a amount of blur and loss of detail at such short distances? Try comparing with and without TAA and you will notice how much detail you loose at what is really close distances from your character. Without TAA you get a crazy amount of shimmering so you can't really avoid using it but is it supposed to be this aggressive with the blur and affect details this close to your character?

Connecting my Xbox One X to my monitor and I can't notice any such harsh use of blur on the Xbox One X version? The TAA is blurring things that are just a few meters from your character.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats not TAA.

its the game trick used in gta5 to keep performance up.

18. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I tend to leave them as well, when I don't they can be painful. I did Id's rage from the start, remember the graphics driver issues on that at the start, it ruined it for some people. When stable it was an ok game.

I have waited to play Far Cry New Dawn as didn't want to pay that amount for something which is a big DLC in effect, finally got it on DVD from Amazon for £16 and playing it now. No issues at all and will keep me happy until this game is debugged by the early adopters.

When the launcher doesn't work very well even .................... golly....

19. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    can only imagine what the numbers will be if DXR is available

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The article has been updated - tweaked results added, CPU scaling perf will be included in the next hour.

Netherwind, OnnA, Singleton99 and 2 others like this.