Poor performing RTX 2080 Super

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YetYhunter, Nov 2, 2019.

1. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I recently purchased a new MSI RTX2080 Super OC version and I've been struggling for days to find out why I can't get even close to the Time Spy scores I see in all the reviews, about 11500 graphics score. I only score 9500, the highest I ever got was almost 10500, and this with an overclocked applied(+55/1000 anything above crashes).

I spent a week since I got the card to make it work correctly. During the benchmark the voltage drops often bellow 1.00v, the GPU usage and TDP drops bellow 80%, clock speeds varies between 1890 and 2025. Temperature never goes above 66°C.

Things I tried:
    - I replaced my PSU, bought a brand new Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
    - The graphics card is powered by two separate PCIE cables from the PSU
    - Max performance is set in NVCP
    - Max performance in Windows Control panel power options ( Slightly better results)
    - I even tried different BIOS with unlocked power target. Default Bios is locked at 100%
    - Reinstalled latest drivers several times (clean version) after DDU wipe, new GPU setting

I am desperate, what am I missing ? I completely accept the fact that the card is a poor overclocker but I would like to have the stock performance at least.

[​IMG]

Time spy score
    https://imgur.com/7EfseCi

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    CPU score can bring it down, ram speed etc. Depends what things are clocked / boosting to, as well as the GPU.

Maddness and YetYhunter like this.
  3. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    The most obvious test would be doing the benchmark in another PC, if you have an old one or can ask someone to do it in their computer.

Another test, when I got my card I had mediocre performance in gaming, testing in 3DMark gave me bad GPU score and horrible CPU score, even if my clocks were where they should be 100% of the time (GPU,CPU and memory)

Resetting BIOS (MB BIOS, NOT GPU) fixed it. And reapplying the values I had before gave me the expected increase, I never found any problem again.

Not exactly the same situation, as I didn't notice TDP or GPU usage drops, but it's an easy test, and if you are trying to debug what seems to be a GPU problem having everything else as default as possible is a good practice.

YetYhunter likes this.
  4. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I forgot to mention the other relevant PC specs.

8700k@5 ghz
    Asus Strix Z370-E
    16GB 3200mhz
    2xSSD drives
    750W Prime Ultra

I will try running everything on stock/default settings and a different PCIE Slot even if GPU-Z indicates that the card is running at full X16 3.0 speed.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sounds like you're FPS or TDP limiting with Afterburner

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Gsync or vsync on? Also noticed you had same problem with 1080 you had prior?

7. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Yes I did. I thought it was the PSU so I replaced it. V-sync and G-sync were turned off before the tests. I will reinstall 3dmark to get rid off any errors.

EDIT:

I reinstalled 3dmark and ran the benchmark again, High Performance in power options, Maximum performance in NVCP, V-sync off, G-sync Off, +55 core +1250 memory. Does anyone have some comparaison scores? It seems about right now.
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40662719

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  8. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
  9. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Thank you guys for your help. I am happy to see my card performing up to the standards even though it's a terrible overclocker.

I can't seem to be stable at more than +50/+1300 in every game. At +70 Control crashes but everything else runs fine. I made 2 profiles.

Any tips to make it go higher ? Flash a different Bios, apply liquid metal ?

Thanks again :)

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I wouldn't use liquid metal on a GPU, personally. I have thermal grizzly on mine.

You could look for a higher watt unlocked bios. Depending on suitability for the card, non reference or reference design etc. Don't just wildly flash any.

11. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Did you notice a difference after applying thermal grizzly?

I did it on my 1080 and noticed a 3,4°C drop on load temps.

I have a reference design boar A chip. What would be the best Bios available for the card?

12. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    YetYhunter likes this.