NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Does anyone have compatibility bit for Black Mesa? The one for Source engine games isn't working properly.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Have you tried enhancing the in game MSAA at all?

You could try 0x084012C1 (This is sort of a catch all )

For Bully, you may have to try disabling a certain effect in the options or if there is just a generic post processing setting turn it down or off.

KainXVIII likes this.
  3. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Game no longer has MSAA, as it is using semi-deferred rendering. I would happily use SSAA, but it breaks lighting.

I'm gonna try this bit.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Oh really? That's odd. Never heard of a Source Engine game doing that.

5. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    So I tried 0x084012C1, but it caused screen to be frozen. I couldn't play the game.

This is how OGSSAA looks like with 0x000000C0:
    [​IMG]

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Is it this way for the whole game now or just Xen? I may have to buy the game now to find out.

Are you sure?? Loading up the game still has the option for MSAA in the main menu as far as I can see.

Oh I see gotta opt into the beta. Ok.

Man the actual Xen area hits the GPU hard even on an 2080.
    And clearly they've make some changes to the engine. SGSSAA kind of works but 8xSGSSAA on my GPU runs from about 5-20FPS. In the actual Xen levels the rendering is kind of broken too.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah I would classify Black Mesa officially broken now. Your only option is downsampling. (If you have a good enough GPU. 2080 seems just good enough for 4k60 without dropping below. At least in the small area I tested.

8. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Yeah, only SGSSAA works. Downsampling is too much even for 1080. Also, I suggest to add note to Source Engine bit that it doesn't apply to Black Mesa.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah I should do that. It's a shame because like other SE games it has a lot of aliasing. It's too bad they dont' just disable it only for the Xen portion of the game and keep the main game untouched.

Next thing you know they will add some awful smudgy TAA to compensate. (Which would still require downsampling to make up for that.)

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Playing through Crysis again, and just got to Crysis 2 and noticed that texture filtering seems to be completely broken in DX9 mode to the point of it being unplayable to me.

At oblique angles , textures become pixellated and distorted, but not in DX11. It's bizarre, I don't remember this being a thing the last time I played it near time of release.
    EX screenshots:
    Looks fine http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Crysis22019111301062.png
    Zoom in DX9 pixellated http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/c42Crysis22019111301062.png
    Zoom in DX11 fine http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Crysis22019111301085.png
    Wall dead on DX9 http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Crysis22019111300502.png
    Wall at angle DX9 http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Crysis22019111300501.png

SGSSAA quality here isn't the best anyway but it's disappointing

11. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    any idea about disabling TAA in Gears of war 5? TAA is force enabled and even changing game's config(like GameUserSetting.ini and Scalability.ini) wont help. i heard about disabling AA with nvidiaInspector. can someone explain for me what should i do in nvidiaInspector?

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    TAA in UE4 is done on an engine level. There's nothing you can do about that. Other than downsample to mitigate visibility of it's issues. (Also sharpen it).

But yeah I know that sucks because here's a great screenshot from the new Star Wars game showing UE4's garbage TAA front and center. (What's funny is that without any AA at all his face would look better than this!)
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/screen11.jpg

What's funny is that UE4 TAA has evolved over time to become worse and worse with each iteration. The original UE4 TAA didn't have this smudgy nonsense.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  13. Lux Sole

Lux Sole Member

GPU:
    I'am trying to force AA in HL2 Update while using simultaneously Reshade with depth buffer access. And none of the bits i've tried worked so far. :( Any help?

14. eXorque

eXorque Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 @ 1700MHz
    I'm trying to setup AA with 4xSGSSAA on PUBG. I have set it up as follows. The problem is I'm getting extremely dark shadows. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

In these screenshots you can see an example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AA Compatibility: 0x080000C1
    AA Line Gamma: Disabled
    AA Mode: Override any
    AA Setting: 4x [4x multisampling]
    AA ransparency Multi: Disabled
    AA Transparency Super: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling
    FXAA Disallowed and off

15. Dreadmoth

Dreadmoth Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    As far as I know PUBG is a Direct3D 11 game with only FXAA and TAA available - attempting to force SGSSAA will probably do nothing or just break stuff.

16. eXorque

eXorque Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 @ 1700MHz
    That seems reasonable. Do you know if it's possible in any way to get SMAA working without ReShade?

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You need the depth bit set unless they've changed Reshade again in a way that breaks compatibility or if HL2Update breaks anything.
    0x00400000

The only options are injectors like old SweetFX releases that work with DX10/11 if you want SMAA.

18. Lux Sole

Lux Sole Member

GPU:
    So i use this bit same as any other, in AA field? If yes, then sadly didn't work. TY for the help though.

EDIT. So it seems that Update changed something in that regard, as i was unable to force AA regardless of Reshade. The #4 bit worked in Mass Effect though, allowing to force AA while retaining depth buffer access.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If they have changed the rendering like Black Mesa has with the latest update to the engine then yeah you are basically screwed.

You know, the ol adage of going backwards in the name of going forwards!

But yeah, as noted in the Google spreadsheet the 4 bit (Which is the bit for depth support in that slot) it generally allows Reshade usage without issue. Though you may run into instances like with sharpening for example that you need to use higher than normal values because it interacts with AA being forced. And depending on the game depth effects may be finicky.

As for the spreadsheet it unfortunately no longer natively displays in the OP as it used to before they updated the forums. But if you visit PCGamingwiki.com here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_anti-aliasing_compatibility_flags_for_Nvidia They have kindly created a page for me and figured out how to let the spreadsheet embed itself in the page so whenever I update it, it is always displayed there.

20. Lux Sole

Lux Sole Member

GPU:
    Right, age of 4k and 2080Ti's all around, who cares about AA.

I was thinking about running HL2 instead of Update, but decided against that, unfortunately there were some issues with performance and image quality when using both AA and depth buffer sahders. :( So yea, it's 1080p + FXAA baby.

TY for the link, appreciate it.