COD Modern Warfare Has $600M Opening Weekend

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2019.

1. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    honestly , I dont play often CoD but this one is very very good.
    I play since 4 days now and I don't regret my purchase.

2. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    I played the Beta, and was not impressed. It was the same old COD, with better graphics, and the ability to peak around walls/mount objects. But the maps were trash! So un-ballanced!

3. ImmortalicBrad

ImmortalicBrad Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Max-Q
    I've been against the COD franchise for many years but I have to say, after playing the beta I really enjoyed it.

All I would play in earlier releases was Hardcore Mode (no radar, limited health) instead of needing to unload 2 whole magazines into someone to kill them. With cross platform play it removes the restrictions of not being able to play with your friends simply because they had it on console rather than being a part of the "PC Master Race". To top it off, they include all maps, updates and DLC at no additional cost... which is unheard of in these day and ages. So I am all for it ;)

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Uhm... BF5? ;)

But yes, I think that's the way to go, good that they adopted it as well.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    People are so exited to see a movie...I miss the old original MW days, but those are in the past.
    There are indie developers making a better job today at creating compelling games over AAA companies.

6. ImmortalicBrad

ImmortalicBrad Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Max-Q
    You are correct sir, but this is not a common practice in the gaming industry. Hopefully they release a lot of content and don't shaft us due to the fact it's "free".

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It´s better not to mix "politics" with games and other stuff otherwise we would need to stop playing more than 90% of games out there... The same with movies, books and other products... Ignorance is a bliss.

As for COD, it has become so mainstream that it´s forced to be successful, the same with other high profile games like GTA.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Yep. The IGN snowflake tears over the demo that was shown behind closed doors was a huge win for them. The "soy boi" videos around youtube were all hyping the game as a middle finger to that crowd in the games juro community.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not bad for a pack of milk.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    There have been 20 CoD games since 2003.

There is even an RTS.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, I was just referring to the advertisments they were pushing to teenagers.

The funny thing is this, they will estimate that 96% of the people that bought the game will return it to a store by the following monday.

Teenagers buy the game, play it through, get the medals and achievements (bragging rights) and then trade the game in after the weekend. The mantra @ school will be 'yeah, played it, finished it, it's okay, but I've moved on now...check my profile here' and to that, they get out their phone and show them the profile and the proof they have completed the game...

So, you typically have entire shelves on Tuesdays with massive discounts for the big CoD titles and have done for about ten years now.

I'm just glad that publishers are not forcing devs to put SJW nonsense in the game, because it ticks a box that the females who work in the marketing departments can sell the game for.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  12. Why anyone is allowed to declare that as earnings so soon has always annoyed me. It's inflating reports beyond true actual but whatever that's capitalism without regulation. Nuts that 96% will be returned... nuts' - I'll be interested to see come 6 months how many became long-term sales/if it's possible to separate the two. (I'd assume so as someone records returns - you just do the math against buys as always)

Interesting.. if this is what kids are really into nowadays sounds like a very expensive high-school hobby. For the parents :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2019
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If you trade a game in, the highest value that game has for trading in, is the Monday after the Friday the game launched, this is why it is so fast, and is why CoD has an SP campaign that can be completed in a weekend or less.

They (the publisher) then scoop up whatever $ they can from people who buy 2nd hand and play the MP.

Regarding the kids, they are always given the choice and if they finish the game in a weekend and want to trade it in, for another game, that is up to them, say the parents. If the kid only has one game to play per year, then this is the one game.

If however, the kid doesn't have a lot of $, they can buy 2nd/3rd/4th hand and then pay $ to the publisher in MT/DLC/LB's etc.

It's big money - but a lot of these kids will literally 'be good' for a year, just to get these bragging rights, or, they just spend the summer mowing lawns and delivering papers, painting fences and so on.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    ffs... this is the kind of crap why we aren't seeing anything original anymore.

15. MADEVIL

MADEVIL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080Ti
    People still drinking the COD Kool-Aid. This series needed to die a long time ago and it just keeps being stagnant and like others have stated it just hurts FPS games because little to no evolution. Other companies see the sales numbers and just want to jump on the bandwagon and many think that COD sets the bar for what a FPS game should be.

I remember the early games being fun, then things went down hill and had one friend who was a giant fanboy of Modern Warfare and was on it all the time.. He kept trying to get me to buy the game and I said no all the time because I didn't fall for the hype. I remember looking at the back of the box and seeing the quote "The Most Intense And Cinematic Experience". That sounded like a movie to me and not a game and at the time I just kept telling him COD = Crap On Disc.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    For everyone saying this is the same COD or recycled, I can surely tell you this is no where near the same or recycled from any previous COD game. This is definitely a step in the right direction coming from BO4 IMO(or if we are going to single out IW and TA games, this is not like any MW game in the past). Progression in this game series is great.

And others saying these games are bad, while you are completely entitled to your opinion and all, but sales numbers don't lie. People enjoy the game if it keeps selling, and IW and TA games come every other year.

17. thesaiyan

thesaiyan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Wow! Such a positive and forward-thinking thread... Weird how nobody thinks of the possible choice that the game might actually be good and instead just assume that everyone is a moron for buying it and/or enjoying it.

Granted, Activision is greedy and all but they knew how to capitalize from what people actually wanted for a while which was a modern shooter and actually did a decent game and that is just good business for them.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Friend did ask me if I am getting this one. I said "no" even while I know this one is quite better than those before.

I drew the line for CoD games long time ago.

19. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Again, just a crazy, ranting post. Your posts are always like, unhinged; I imagine froth at the corners of your mouth while you furiously typed this.

I fundamentally disagree with your characterization. I own every Battlefield except Battlefield V. I have 0 issue with the SJW stuff on principle; Battlefield V just wasn't that procreating good. My friends have the exact same feeling. I played the 10h trial, It was a retread of stuff we've already seen in a game that's largely stagnated within its formula AND is recycling time periods which we've already spent the better part of half the BF games inside. You can delude yourself that this is because of all those dirty SJWs and how making a female model detracted from development but, again, the game just isn't anything special and definitely shouldn't have followed up the WWI game that most people tired of quickly. It's trivially easy to know that's why it didn't sell well.

At the end of the day, if you think that a female model in a game destroyed sales you're literally an insane person. Because that's the only "SJW" change BF had in it.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Just talking 'bout the advertising.

That's all.

ninja edit: I fundamentally disagree with your characterisation of me. Yet another flawed attempt to distort and detract from my overidding point, that was put forth with examples from the advertising industry.

If you know how the marketing industry works (an industry I have worked in for 25+ years, and now own a software development studio related/connected to it) you understand how decisions are made...furthermore, it is an industry controlled by women, as they represent 84% of the marketing workforce.

Buzz words and 'spreadsheet management' are everwhere as everyone is trying to do their job, which is, to find every-single-angle-they-can to push push push a product or service. And, they are really good at their job!

If SJW concepts are popular, you can put money on a marketeer to use it, because it is popular!

Not that they agree with it.
    Not that they endorse it.
    Not that they want to ruin video games.

Because it is their job!

Srsly, five minutes in a meeting room with me, would alieviate and destroy any preconceptions you may or may not have about me. I'm a super-reasonable person who has always defended their staff through thick and thin sir.

Move on, nothing to see here but an insightful analysis of the facts, complete with examples.

I appreciate the comment and criticism, but you're way way way off target sir.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.