Winter is nearly here and I need a new Machete.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jbscotchman, Oct 30, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Gonna be using my wood stove a lot this winter to keep the electric bill down so I need a good blade for cutting up small branches for firewood and kindling. I've narrowed it down to these three. Based on reviews they all seem good quality and will do what I need it to do. So now I'm kinda choosing just based on looks and coolness factor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNUI02C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3MX7Z082YOVJJ&psc=1

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YBY9GA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A1IXRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

[​IMG]

RzrTrek likes this.
  2. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Cool factor, I vote #1.

3. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Get all three, although the second one looks best imo

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    First one perhaps, second one might have a bit more heft but if it's smaller branches it might not matter plus I assume the first version can be used as a saw and if the grip fits it might be more ergonomic as well instead of transferring part of the impact or shock into the hand though if it's branches and stuff instead of hardwood logs that might not factor in as much or it'd probably be better to go for a smaller axe instead.

Suppose factors like treatment, material, sharpness, wear and tear or rust are also a thing but I don't know these things very well at all, knife laws are fairly strict here as well so carrying a proper machete blade around is not really common.

Or just go TV commercial style.

[​IMG]
    (That axe is just there for like no reason at all..)

DocStrangelove, Undying and airbud7 like this.
  6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Wouldn't a small hatchet be better for chopping kindling? I spent the majority of my first 20 years living in wood heated homes and we never used a machete for kindling (machete was for clearing brush etc.). A good quality machete is a great multi purpose tool and if I was going camping I'd opt for one for sure, but for dedicated small firewood and kindling I think a hatchet is a better option.

386SX likes this.
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Stuff like this is what I'm mainly cutting. I personally think a machete is faster and easier when it comes to this kind of wood.

[​IMG]

386SX and airbud7 like this.
  8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    So you are looking to chop sticks and small branches, not to split sawed logs into small pieces.. A machete should work nicely for you.

I would get #2 for a dedicated chopper, and #3 if there was ever a chance you would want an emergency saw.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I thought Mericans chop wood with bullets?

Brasky likes this.
  10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Went with the first one.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Got it in the mail today and this is a nice little chopper. Took down some heavy, nasty weeds that were way out of control at the end of my driveway. Also cut some decent branches and sticks off some dead trees that have been lying around for a while. Just in time because it's supposed to be around 20 degrees tonight and this wood will get a nice fire going.

airbud7 and Elder III like this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    jb be like....I need some wood bitch!

[​IMG]

:p

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You damn right!

airbud7 likes this.
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If only, ambidexterity and two axes or the complete lack of anything like dexterity would be a bit of a risk. :D

Denmark had a solution though back in the age of bearded men drinking alcoholic honey and visiting neighboring areas for friendly trading, they just use one but made it bigger. :p
    [​IMG]
    "Sweet axe dude!" (Might have seen use in areas outside of the woodworking industry on occasion.)

Bearded axes aside hopefully the machete works well for the task, never actually used one (Stricter laws here on blades too even if you're not likely to run around in public with a machete or anything like that.) though they're certainly suitable tools for various work related tasks and if there's enough weight and force I don't see any problems even with smaller logs and of course branches long as it's not some trunk or anything that needs to be split it's other than that it's probably going to do a good job for about anything else.

Well the fresher non-dried logs might take some work to not embed the blade midway through depending on wood type, some of them are surprisingly sturdy.
    (Hardier wood might be a thing too but for that an axe might be better suited anyway.)

EDIT: Too many survival or horror movies I guess and a few video games as well, thing is almost as popularized in media as the chainsaw ha ha.
    (Although it should be a pretty decent multi purpose tool for clearing undergrowth and woodcutting.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    mbk1969 likes this.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  17. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I prefer this cutting unnecessary parts of something...
    [​IMG]

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    For grown serious men

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019