EA is back at Steam - also adding an EA Access subscription

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 and Thunk_It like this.
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Not sure what the big point of being on Steam is when they are practically pulling an Ubisoft (as they do with UPlay) and just have Steam install their Origin launcher anyway. The Fallen Order steam shop page clearly indicates that both Origin and an EA account are mandatory.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Larger reach and awareness, I guess. Ubisoft has been doing this (and is doing it still at Epic) to funnel new users towards Uplay. Origin maybe stagnating in terms of newcomers.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah... I think they are testing the waters there, not much more than this. I mean, it's a win for both if people buy more copies via steam, than those avoiding origin in the first place.
    I don't get the real use of buying games on steam besides maybe, maybe, some mods, which do seem to be a no-go with most EA games nontheless... we shall see. But as I understood Hilbert's article, it's no use getting ea access on steam yet, since it's missing many, many titles that are not on steam, and them being on steam is a requirement to play them via ea access in the first place...

airbud7 likes this.

5. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I really appreciate the update on this situation; thanks for posting it Hilbert. It's my hope that ultimately both EA and Steam will benefit from this collaboration. If so, the upshot will be a greater variety of game titles for gamers.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not only Ubisoft, nearly every editor that have their own download tool requiere to install it on Steam (arc, uplay, glyph etc etc) so at the end it is a false "one portal for all", it's more a "one portal for having all portal installed on your HDD"...

But again, it work with Steam but also in the other way too.
    (as George Abitbol said before to pass away: "What a sh*t world !" )

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, apparently people don't pick up on GOG galaxy 2.0 (which aims to do the same, one launcher to launch all your games, even if they require another client)

airbud7 likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    no:
    - Because it is not exactely the same (if you read deeply how it work)
    - It isn't finished yet, and also a non disclosure part in the licence depending on your version.
    - you have some extra abilities when you use GOG 2 that any other portal don't have

airbud7 likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh okay, I was not aware of that. I did not read into galaxy 2.0 that much tbh, although I got the invite sometime back.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. samir72

samir72 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti
    I wish Microsoft could do the same.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    What makes you think they're not?

Gears of War 5 is on Steam. It's obvious to these corps that people favour Steam.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Jesus...
    "The publisher is working to rectify that, and has confirmed The Sims 4 and Unravel 2 will arrive on Steam "in the coming months," with titles like Apex Legends, FIFA 20, and Battlefield V set to debut next year."
    The most popular titles are coming NEXT YEAR. What the hell. Seems like EA on Steam is just a beta test after all...

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Steam = Portal hub. :)

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Honestly I don't have a preference for a launcher. They all work the same for me, I use discord for communication which most games support anyway in some way or another. I don't even really touch the launcher unless I have to. I just want one account, one place I download all my games from. I'm lazy and don't feel like having to open more and more accounts or remember them lol.

What is annoying about this though is the fact I can't migrate the games I did buy on Origin to Steam. F2P like Apex would be no problem as I assume you'll still login to your EA account, but games like Battlefield I would have to buy again if I really wanted to migrate my game is annoying.

schmidtbag and Elder III like this.
  15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I wouldn't rule-out cross-launcher capability for origin><steam for our games collection in the future. It's really not such a big step to take, especially as any purchase for them on either platform is still money in the bank.

vbetts likes this.