Intel DG1 Xe graphics card is Alive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    one hopes this means a paradigm shift in how they handle driver support.

2. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    So this has probably been pointed out, but once intel joins the Graphics Card Scene we will have Team Red, Team Green and Team Blue (RGB) that just tickles me.

airbud7 and Solfaur like this.
  3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    exciting times ahead indeed, will intel's infinite budget allow them to slap nvidia back to the fermi era? hopefully they ignore the mid-low end market so AMD can get their stuff together

4. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    You're gonna be disappointed, because they are not aiming at the high end of the market at the very beginning.
    Hell we still don't know if there will be a gamer GPU in 2020. It might just be the data center product at this stage. I heard about low power Xe GPU only as of now, of course Intel will try to keep it secret as long as it can.

The funny thing is that, if they achieve the gamer GPU next year as a full lineup (which i don't believe at all) we could see Ampere vs RDNA2 vs Intel Xe in the same year.
    With Ampere releasing first in Q1 or 2 (that's the current rumor at least), followed by RDNA somewhere in the Q3 and Intel Xe probably in the Q4. Anyway, without accounting any release date it's gonna be a year full of GPU.

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    yeah that's worrying me, that they don't even bother with a new gpu un 2020, too late to buy a 2080ti now, that kind of buy are only "worth" it day1

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    since chris is running his mouth about it, this is a gamer part.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    This sounds more like a pr stunt for their sleepwalking investors, but competition is always good.

8. mrvco

mrvco Member

GPU:
    5700 XT
    After all their difficulties with 10nm and 7nm CPUs, how is Intel able to crank out a 7nm GPU?

9. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I can imagine Intel offering a power efficient consumer option at first, but not likely much more powerful than RTX 2060. They most likely want the new chip into laptops, where Intel's main focus lies right now and where they have had to rely on competing solutions. Power efficiency is also appreciated in data centers.

10. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    What? There are much more FreeSync monitors out there than GSync. FreeSync is starting to appear on TVs too, beating GSync to market by a full year.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Clearly you didn't get it.

nizzen and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I... might be in the losing end on this, but... maybe I'm the only one not really excited? I seriously doubt we will see a competitive GPU in 2020.
    Node? Drivers? Performance itself, even if the drivers work? Support by other programs like 3D modelling / rendering?

And as a buyer in the highest segment of GPUs, I doubt Intel will have an offer for me personally.
    Sure, the low and mid segment will see much gain of a 3rd player, but until Nvidia has to even move their little finger, I still put my hopes into AMD battling it out with Nvidia in the enthusiast segment. Also, I don't see how the lower tier massively profits from this... AMD already has excellent offerings for 1080p and reasonable 1440p offers. 4K is still out of reasonable reach of anybody, especially taking RT into account.

This is not saying they shouldn't try, but honestly, Intel has had a history of lacking innovation... why is everybody now thinking they will just miraculously throw over the GPU market? That seems a bit too optimistic for me personally.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Raja already said they were aiming for something like the RX 480 was for AMD, that is, a good mid range/mainstream dGPU.

I don't think they can fight Nvidia at the top end, but they are quite capable of meddling in the mid range. And that for many people is the most important.

People compare this with the Larrabee or the i740, but the truth is that Intel was never so focused on dGPUs as it is now. With the money they have, I have no doubt that over time they can become relevant in the dGPU market, at least in some segments.

And for all of us, I hope Intel succeed, the dGPU market with Nvidia and AMD has been very unbalanced for too long and will probably continue to do so.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    it depends on ur expectation
    if u expecting all of sudden they releasing high-end GPU segment on first-launch, then it wont be anything good
    but different story if u expecting new-player joining GPU market, and how far their first product performance can reach
    so not necessary need high-expectation, mild-expectation might be better in most case

AMD already prove they can make amazing work with Ryzen
    now Intel with tons of cash, do u think its impossible for them to rivaling Nvidia in near-future?

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What it is to get? Freesync is everywhere. 200$ cheppo monitor have it while gsync is only at 400$ range and up (also needs an nvidia card only).

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You didn't get it either.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    We shall see if they can. Depends on what they bring to the table and if they can make enough money to make investors happy.
    Realistically, they will stirr up the market, yes. Rivalling Nvidia on the top end... near future? Maybe not.

I'm kind of worried that with all their cash, they're taking the fight more to AMD than Nvidia. Cutting down on AMD's margin more than anything else. Which I don't see as a necessary win for the greater good, but we shall see.

That said, I won't hold my breath in hopes for Intel bringing cheaper and better cards to every segment out there. More likely, slightly cheaper low to mid tier (which you are of course right, the majority of poeple), but on the top end... Nvidia is still doing whatever they "feel" like.

airbud7 and Kaarme like this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AMD didn't necessarily pioneer the technology but they designed an open variant of it and started branding it as their own. Nvidia took advantage of that and leveraged their market dominance to essentially hijack the brand. All those Freesync monitors that are "everywhere" are now, mostly, G-Sync compatible and a lot of these companies started leaving off the "Freesync" brand only keeping G-Sync Compatible. This is especially true for newer monitors coming out.

airbud7, cryohellinc and fantaskarsef like this.
  19. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Same here. I don't think they'll have anything meaningful to compete with Nvidia's 70 series or above for a couple of generations. I think they'll be lucky to produce a $200 GPU that competes with AMD on fps-per-dollar.

Sadly, I think if you want high res and/or high frame rate capable GPUs, it's Nvidia or bust for a while longer. Maybe AMD will squeak out a competitor to the 2080 next year, but:
    1. They probably won't manage to undercut Nvidia by more than $50, which means Nvidia could easily drop price to match
    2. Nvidia certainly has the 3k series right around the corner to leap frog them again

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Since it's Intel we are talking about, I strongly believe they would want to replace Nvidia (and AMD) in the very lucrative server/supercomputer/AI simulation market as well. Right now many super computers are typically built by using Intel or AMD CPUs running Nvidia GPUs (hopefully also more AMD GPUs from now on). Intel ought to like to have an option with an Intel CPU + Intel GPU. Some mainstream equivalent GPU won't do there.