UE4 tech video showcases next-gen weather/physics effects

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Pretty good, eh? I was very impressed. You've seen much better? Link?
    Understand the point of a tech demo? To show off the tech. Yup. This tech demo is showing awesome tech. Yup. In a game, it would be up to the developers to make it look realistic/unrealistic. No blemish.

2. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    OMG...it is a TECH DEMO... Don't you people read the titles of the threads you post in?

3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Damn that looks good... lets see it in games? Pref. not in another decade lol

4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    If a mere 970 can run that, maybe something like a 2070 can run a game at that level? So, maybe 2-3 years before some look at least very similar?

5. Freaker1

Freaker1 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580
    It's deliberate, for various reasons.

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Yep, consoles. Games will never look better than the current console generation can support at that time, no matter how superior a PC you have. And the games still often run like POS on the PC, because developers don't have to care about optimization with so much more power available. 2020 will finally see the next generation of consoles. Expect a leap of graphics quality then, while still having to get a yet beefier PC.

7. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    UE has been little more than pretty tech demos and poorly optimized games for over a decade now. Not sure why people haven't caught onto this.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I watched the video. Did you only read the thread title? You should watch the video as well, it looks good.

9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Isn't that the consoles and their 10 year refresh cycle doing their usual holding up of entire industry again? We now only get jumps in quality with each console generation refresh (PS3->PS4->PS5)

10. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I was, in fact, considering making a thread about this video. Not sure why you'd think I didn't watch the video. Clearly I was impressed. Your logic is confusing...)

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Don't worry about it. I also have no idea what you meant in your first reply to my earlier post, so I tried to give you an equally confusing reply.

But if I had to force a guess, I complained about the amount of debris because it didn't make the scene look more realistic, it made it look less realistic. However, I did add the disclaimer because perhaps in some parts of the world it would be plausible to see so much stuff in the air during a storm, like in a really really dirty city, the likes I've never witnessed. So, it looked unrealistic to me, but it could have been perfectly realistic for someone else. Regardless, from my pov, the already very nice tech demo would have been even nicer with less debris. After all, the demo was obviously going for realistic looking storm effects that even a 970 could, impressively, run.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    PC versions of games also out on consoles never look better?

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

14. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Actually with wind speeds like that in a populated area, the amount of debris looks to be less than it should be. the cleanest country on earth when hit by a cat 4-5 hurricane turns into a sh*t-storm. Tornadoes are even worse.

Here is footage taken inside an EF-3 tornado. If this were near a town, city, or wooded area, it would have been far too dangerous to film even inside their 14,300lb vehicle covered in composite armor and 1.5" bullet-resistant glass.

G*addict likes this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I live in a country without hurricanes and tornadoes are so rare only the luckiest will ever witness one with their own eyes (although forest owners don't consider themselves lucky to see the damage), so I wouldn't really know personally. However, seeing how the trees in the tech demo video could take it just fine, I'm not sure it was supposed to be any mega hurricane anyway. Wasn't it just a regular bad storm, the likes of which everybody sees at least every few years? That's why the amount of debris looked so odd in my eyes.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    See my above. You are missing the point.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I don't want to be hating on it but tough
    the wind blown objects do not even interact with the blowing bushes/trees
    you know the ones with super leaves that don't blow off and super stems that don't break with what looks like 2x4's and papers
    sucky over all I feel you guys have to get out more
    shitty tech demo that's 36 whole seconds ja ja ja like is that all you have? why bother?
    hope they try harder next time

18. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Some "dog" deleted my posts. Nice... :cool: