Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So you're simply wrong. Ok got it.

This is a bunch of pure nonsense lol

By this idea of a "port", then every exclusive console game is a port from PC even when there is no PC version.

Why? Because it's all built on a PC for the console.

So then are all console games, especially the exclusives, ports from the PC?

No, because they were developed FOR THE CONSOLES. Doesn't matter that someone on a PC was developing it, they did not develop it on the PC for the PC, they did not take into consideration PCs hardware and quirks when developing a game first on console. This is simply fact. If i use my PC to develop code for an android cellphone program does that mean it's a port from PC? Again, no. What platform someone uses to develop ANYTHING does not mean it's even remotely for the platform they are on.

GTA 5 is a port from the consoles.

Port refers to which systems they were developed for first, then transferred to later on.

There are good ports, and there are bad ports. GTA 5 is an example of a very good port.

Please, stop this nonsense you're speaking before it gets out of hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting#Porting_in_gaming

"Porting is also the term used when a video game designed to run on one platform, be it an arcade, video game console, or personal computer, is converted to run on a different platform."

Don't like wikipedia? Google it yourself then and find countless websites that explain video game porting and what it means, as it has nothing to do with the system that is used to make the original code, but rather what the code was originally developed to run on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. For the most part, yeah I agree. If someone wants to build a monster ass NV-linked PC they could probably get away with it / run a single RTX Titan. Probably more than 60 FPS at 4K.

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900X 3.5 GHz 10-Core Processor ($999.99 @ Best Buy)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: EVGA X299 Micro Micro ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($222.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3733 Memory ($719.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Pro 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($899.95 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
    Case: NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $5042.55
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-20 15:18 EDT-0400

3. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Write once, compile anywhere. Languages such as C++ and Pascal follows this philosophy on functions provided by a standard library.
    The term "Porting" is used generically by the gaming community to describe the elements for a given platform that were not fully implemented or done so haphazardly. Keep in mind that there is a distinct difference between cross platform hardware and cross platform software. So porting is appropriately used when referring to a game engine that requires functional use under a specific OS. Just because a game was designed on a computer does not mean it will natively run on Windows, Android or Linux OS. To be considered "cross platform" a game must function on more than one Architecture or Software. Although many modern engines are cross platform compatible running on Android, Windows etc using Vulcan API the successor to Mantle and OpenGL, some games only use Direct X and therefore designed to run on x86 and Windows OS for the open hardware market which isn't truly cross platform despite also being functional for the closed proprietary market (consoles) but it's the acceptable term to use in that case.

Developers decide a target platform for which to focus game design direction. If a console is targeted then some gamer's become cynical that the developers will lazily compile for the PC counterpart. However Rockstar usually does a pretty darn good job or better.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    As i said, GTA 5 is a very, very good port, and other developers should take note from it. If they want to design a game for the console first: Fine. Want big sales on the PC platform afterwards? Design the port very well, don't just slap it on PC which is much more complicated then the consoles and think "This'll be fine" like many do.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The Launcher is actually "the Social thing" (Rockstar Social Club).
    They've simply changed the name to Rockstar Games Launcher with the latest update and added a Store to it where you can buy games directly along with some tweaks. It's required to be run with GTA5 on Steam right now (When I launched GTA5 from Steam the other day, it said Rockstar Social Club had a mandatory update, it updated and when it finished it was the new Rockstar Games Launcher), so I assume it will be the same with RDR2 (not just on Steam, but on any platform).

Elder III likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It was developed on a PC, and using RAGE, authored it to the xb360 as their primary deployment platform, but (and you really need to get this point) they downsmapled the original textures etc to complete the distribution package when they authored it.

The plan all long was to deploy on the PC, it's just the xb360/PS3 came first for deployment and was their primary performance target. The reasoning behind this is obvious: 200+ million units (potentially) and, because they had to work harder to make the xb360/PS3 look good, so the authoring had to go there first.

That in essence makes the original port (due to downsampling and other reductive performance losses) from the PC to the xb360, and PS3.

What is more likely to you; upsampling textures (including lightmaps, which WOULD have been rendered on the PC RAGE prior to porting to xb360 downsampling), downsampling to the xb360 (giving minimal loss in texture quality, but maximum control over artefacts by unfavouring compression over size) or, maybe you think they had their entire art team redraw the entire texutre library, and materials, which would be in the hundreds of thousands for every door handles and car door - and of course let us not forget redoing the entire shader library...

C'mon. We are all friends here. Let's just be straight and honest with one another.

PC then console makes more sense and saves you several bundles of $ so large, that if you enter the number into your computer, the atomic wieght of your computer would increase the mass of your computer at the electron level. It's that much.

So no, 'sir. I do not have to google it or look at wikipedia.

I have a calculator.

Appreciate the comment.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Nothing more needs to be said. But i went through the quote and highlighted the most import part. If you disregard this part, that is a you problem.

I won't be replying to this line of conversation anymore either way, as it seems to be like talking to a wall that doesn't get that what you code for has nothing to do with what you code on.

8. I would gather; you'd have 3 projects - PC - PS4 - XBONE (maybe 2 more /360/PS3) if it was from the start. Each - including the PC as of current & excluding XBONE uses a different API and OS. Whereas the Xbox One runs a version of Windows 10 and utilizes DirectX 11.2 *not that far a stretch from most modern a PC user* So in a sense Rockstar already did develop a native PC version. It just needed more work.

Minimum Specifications:

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I stand corrected. OMG that just plain sux. does it also have 2 entries in the uninstall window of windows ?

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm glad you are not ever ever ever ever ever ever ever going to comment on this topic ever again, because you do not understand what others are (very gently) trying to explain to you:
    • Rockstar have their own game engine.
    • The original 'assets' (polygons, textures, audio) were generated on a PC, for the PC.
    • The game code/logic was generated on a PC for the PC.
    • The Assets were 'downsampled' using the game engine for the xb360/ps3
    • The game engine authored the assets, porting them to the xb360/ps3 as the target platform by the game engine.
    • You cannot under any circumstances remake an entire game of the size of GTAV (from an assets and game logic/code perspective) from scratch, so you use a game engine to author as needed for distribution packages.
    The xb360/ps3 were always the target platforms for the original deployment, and the PC would always come later.

/thread

yasamoka likes this.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @Aura89 the question of what platform was developed for "first" then "ported from" is fuzzy, given the information presented above. It would be good to read it and engage with it.