Intel reserved $ 3 billion in 2019 to competitively block AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2019.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    How did this thread turn into Gsync vs Freesync ??

I clearly read in the title something about Intel ...

Maddness likes this.
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    In what universe is that a reasonable response?!? Should Nvidia customers be required to go Nvidia's site to choose a G-Sync monitor? This is a completely unreasonable and unnecessary requirement that you are burdening AMD customers with simply because you want to deny that there is an issue!

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It is a completely reasonable response. The link I provided is a complete list of compatible monitors with panel type, resolution, VRR frequency range, HDR and supported input. Manufacture sites don't even provid you the info this well organized and straight forward.

And yes I would suggest Nvidia users consult the compatibility list on Nvidia's site.

Do you not recommend people use the QVL for memory on a motherboard? What's the difference? And you dodged my question about whether or not you perceive AMD users as lacking intelligence? Because again you are implying it's to hard to check AMD's own site.

airbud7 and yasamoka like this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have never once referred to AMD or Nvidia's site when choosing a new monitor. I assume the information that I need will be on the manufacturer's page, the retailer's site or in a review of the product (ideally all of them, where I can corroborate the info to get a clear picture). Having to go to AMD's site to check for compatibility seems like an unnecessary step - this isn't like going to a mobo manufacturer's site for memory, which I also don't think is completely necessary (at least now that compatibility issues with Ryzen have been largely ironed out).

I perceive AMD users like anybody else. There are some who are knowledgeable (like the one who created the reddit thread) and others who aren't so knowledgeable (like the person mentioned in the reddit thread who thought they needed to buy an Nvidia GPU). Nvidia users would be the same - I suspect the reason why FreeSync and/or AMD isn't prominently mentioned is because they're targeting Nvidia users and don't want to confuse them by showing technology that was previously exclusive to AMD. Also, such advertising, which tends to be flashy and attractive, isn't for power users - they're for the average consumer. What is the average consumer supposed to think when they see such ads?

Yes, I even noticed differences between Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. I guess each page is designed by different people who want to market towards a certain audience, which I think is the key factor. Those who want to market towards Nvidia will emphasize G-Sync compatibility while those who want to market towards AMD will emphasize FreeSync. Makes the whole thing rather confusing and unnecessary but that's the way people want to market it - I would prefer that they simply market it as (VESA) Adaptive Sync, with no mention of G-Sync or FreeSync.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Dodging again I see. doesn"t fit your narrative that you are pushing? Would you kindly answer this question posed to yourself.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This i couldn't agree with more. Though personally i don't actually pay attention to retailers websites, and sometimes not even manufacturers websites, as i just find it easier to look at a website that lists the g-sync displays (as long as it gets updated) as i find it easier to see that list of what i have to chose from then retailers, ESPECIALLY amazon.

Something like this, though i'm not sure if it lists "g-sync compatible" monitors, might only list ones with the actual g-sync module.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Again, I have never gone to AMD or Nvidia's site when choosing a monitor, nor would I recommend it for anyone else. Adaptive Sync is not like memory configuration - if it has VESA Adaptive Sync then it will work with AMD GPUs (no question), and if it has G-Sync it will work with Nvidia GPUs (again, no question). You're not taking a risk buying a G-Sync monitor with your Nvidia GPU that you would need to check Nvidia's list for it. Of course now Adaptive Sync works with both AMD and Nvidia, but retailers and/or manufacturers are choosing to prioritize one brand - something that should be completely unnecessary. These monitors were originally sold under the FreeSync brand so what should have happened is they should be advertised for both technologies (or simply VESA Adaptive Sync like I said before) but that's not what's happening. Of course I understand why the manufacturer and/or retailer is doing it - Nvidia and G-Sync are strong brands and so they want to emphasize G-Sync support to attract Nvidia users.

What's particularly infuriating is that they seem to blur the lines (perhaps deliberately). On certain promotional material they show "G-Sync Compatible" and others it only shows "G-Sync". A common consumer would have a hard time distinguishing between the two - all they know is that it has Nvidia technology so getting an Nvidia GPU is the best choice. And then, on other sites it shows it as a FreeSync monitor, which can cause confusion or lead them to think they're two different monitors. If it clearly showed both FreeSync and G-Sync Compatible (or Adaptive Sync) then there wouldn't be an issue.

8. Page 7, Hot-wheels... or ... :( hmm not sure what the or to that would be :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you can't be arsed to do your research prior to buying a product....regardless of the product and what you THINK you know about it....the old adage "a fool and his money are soon parted" comes to mind....

Someone mentioned NVidia in an early post in the thread....and it has spiraled out of control since.

This is my last response in regards to G-Sync/FreeSync. Not only because this thread is about Intel, not AMD or NVidia but also because Astyanax already responded to this same post.

AMD did not develop Adaptive Sync. Adaptive Sync was an optional feature of the eDP spec used in laptops. AMD simply pushed VESA to add it to the DisplayPort spec for use by desktops so that they would have something to market against G-Sync. When Intel finally releases their new dGPU, they will also support Adaptive Sync. Will you call Intel's implementation of the standard theft as well?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Loophole35 and airbud7 like this.
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It became that way because the AMD victim crybabies came in here claiming the topic of the thread is , “Just like Nvidia stealing Freesync and calling it their own.” Which is a lie and you can see what it devolved into. Seriously though this crap only happened like 5 years ago how can people already be revising history here.

airbud7 likes this.

11. Passions are high, someone says something off the cuff instead of double checking before posting perhaps, we've all done it. I have. Someone compared Intel to Nv then looked for corporate theft arguments if I'm not mistaken? Why Nv need be used as an example is where things went awry I suspect. Probably best to keep it objective.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    agree K.S.....corporate theft arguments/examples in the tech industry^...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...nitors_are_actively_being_advertised/f2qgigx/

The first comment pretty much is what my response would be to this.

They should go to that page to be sure the panel the are buying for their Radeon has passed quality tests.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's really no need for name calling.

People need to learn to stick to the thread topics. Sometimes it seems like people come here just to start crap for no reason. There's absolutely no need to bring Intel and NVidia into AMD related news/rumor threads. There's no need to bring AMD and NVidia into Intel related news/rumor threads. There's no need to bring AMD and Intel into NVidia related news/rumor threads. It's really not that hard to stick to the thread topic and leave other companies and their products out of it. That's a large part of what's wrong with the world. People have this incessant need to start crap constantly, then everyone ends up getting their feelings hurt and screaming victim.

Maddness and Aura89 like this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, I agree with what you said. And I too thought about it after my last post, putting both stickers / labels on the box would be the best for everybody, especially the consumer. But... I'm afraid, that's where the GPU manufacturers might try to influence the monitor manufacturers... since I have to say I'm afraid Nvidia wouldn't like a sticker on the box with "AMD Freesync 2" next to "Gsync compatible". Since, alphabetically, AMD's would be first / on top :D

And I like how we didn't have to call each other names etc. Cheers @Exodite *looks at other discussions in this thread*

Exodite likes this.

16. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    You say it isnt about fanboyism, still you bring up hating nvidia, amd victims, etc every time to try to make a point..
    You claim i hate nvidia twice, adore is a amd chill, you keep playing the fanboy card. I know your naive, or worse. Fanboy pointing finger, and yelling hate when your brand is criticised.
    Well, considering im hating nvidia, probably crying for poor amd in your mind.
    Your the mindless consumer that makes it possible for companies like intel and nvidia, apple, etc, to do what they done, more than once. And they will keep doing it because people like you think its ok, you even support it and defend it. You are loyal to your brand, even so if you most likely are on the loosing side of it from a consumers perspective.

If you where less focused on throwing out these stupid labels, you would realize the strategy nvidia is using and have used for some time dosent get better if they suddenly became amd, or intel, apple, google, amazon. Its about the practice, and what it can lead to.
    Hate has nothing to do with it for a company to be criticizing them for bad or "shady" practices that can turn out to be bad for us consumers, or marked competition by misusing their marked position. If you cant understand that, you are a mindless fanboy screaming "hate" "crybabies" like you done, ironically when you at the same time state it has nothing to do with fanboyism.. You love to bring it up..

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This is bogus. Do you research what GHz or IPC is before you buy a new CPU? There are laws against false/misleading advertising for a reason.

Can you point me to a source? Google doesn't contain much detail on this.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So let's start over, no more talk about G-Sync, FreeSync, calling people names, being butt heads. No more warnings.

Annnnnd Go

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You have already been given the source you chose to ignore it.

Well since the thread is actually about Intel allegedly doing something nefarious against AMD I feel Intel is fair game to discuss in here.
    I never claimed it wasn’t about fanboism I fact I claimed the exact opposite. If you are that confused about what I posted I have no reason to even read the rest of this nonsensical post as the premise is already wrong for which you formed your response.

Edit: sorry @vbetts I was posting this when you posted your warning.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You mother fu---

What I say you gosh darn dingus @Loophole35 No more please.

Let's try this again.

Annnnnnd.... Go

yasamoka, airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.