Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    So much drama for a game or people getting upset how someone else spends their money. I remember the kickstarter campaign and would actually buy into it until it got so much hype and they endlessly added features. I've tried the free weekend, or whatever that was, about a year ago that had some short scenario and in my opinion it's a nice looking Freespace 2 game. I'll gladly buy the SQ42 when they release it, which is hopefully next year, but seeing as they sell ships for hundreds or thousands of dollars for their MMO part it really puts me off of it.

2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    A bunch of technical parts of the game should be functioning well by now but they let their December 2018 roadmap slip by a quarter already so who knows how long it'll actually take...I don't know how much money and for how long they can actually loan from actual financial institutions, so that's why I took June 2020 into consideration, with the Billionaire's $49M injection. Current total spending should be at around $270M, which is pretty far from the $238M on the pledge counter. Nothing more than crude arithmetic, some mild guesswork based on their own figures, but still true enough. As Cerebus complained, that investment money was supposed to be spent on marketing according to CR, but to me it's obvious that in the meantime -up to S42's release in any state- it's existence is making the entire project's continuation possible. The end conclusion isn't that the project fails, it's just that a single guy is paying for an essential phase of what's supposed to be a crowdfunded project. He alone is 'allowing it to happen'.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    One thing I was just wondering about, with Squadron 42 will the player be able to just go and explore in space by themselves or will it always be linear in scope where you are only allowed to go to certain places?

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea it would be breakneck but they shown sliced of 42 for 2 years now, and much of the lifting is done on the PU side. We see how long that alpha is. but unless they doing internal testing on 42 not that we know of and that would be NDA because of spoilers.

i would bet its playable and has been for a long time or large chunks of it. they wanted these finalized games systems out of the PU tech ai stuff, flight model, particle and character systems i think they were mostly porting the pu upgrades to the 42 game.

2020 would take a miracle but it a remote possibility 2021 is almost certainly a release window but i hope they can somehow breeze that alpha (lol) and get the game out for 2020 holiday xmas celebration and that would be major one if they can pull it off if not we waiting on next year, its been a LONG wait.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Far as i understand 24 is the story of the war between the UEE and the vandual, your enlisted in the UEE and are expected to perform, imagine leaving your duty would be a fail state. i think WAY back CR said you could wander off and do whatever between missions, but obviously i doubt they going to populate an entire universe so you can play the PU instead of the story they spent 2 years working on :p.

CR said you might carry progress out of 42 when you enter the PU. but hes hedged on that now looks like you can earn ships in 42 by playing and doing well the f8 is to die for.

and texter needs to grow the f yup with his armchair accounting cilckbait bullshit that i saw the same video posted to utube by some no name new channel and i ignored it like the clickbait garbage it is, but boy we got one here. oh i know the REAL truth NONE is talking about and ignoring me i wonder why.....................................oh because it is lies.

for some damn resewn the same people think trump is a foreign agent, think chris roberts and his company are being run into the ground the longest and more complex grift in the history of grifts. . people need to get a damn life.

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Get a grip. You're embarrassing the whole forum with posts like that. I gather you disagree with me. So apparently you're unwilling to do basic math, compare presented facts to form an intelligent, informed opinion, and everything is peachy at CIG because Chris Roberts said so. Because he is THE Chris Roberts and HE said so. Don't you think that's a bit pathetic?

A) money spent by CIG up to 2017: $193M ( would already have been critical without the money they had made on the side)
    B) Annual CIG spending in 2017: >$49M
    C) 2018/2019 total spending estimate: $90-100M
    D) Total spending before 2020 starts: nearly $300M with the counter probably at $250M, as it's nearing $239M now.
    E) only thing bridging that gap: some Billionaire's $49M investment. (as he just happened to pass by at the right moment, nothing to see here)
    F) total spending estimate before S42 hits a final release state: $350M

Do you think BANKS like Chris Roberts well enough to even lend him a DIME with his track record?

All just time filler for the forum until Citizencon...and I'll keep bugging people about it occasionally until someone comes up with an answer, or the games come out and we'll have to read it in Chris Roberts or any of his employees' memoires...

as for the edits...I posted this by pushing TAB and then the space bar...never knew that was possible...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Shataan likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    talking to the wind. you are clueless.

8. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I want this game but due to bad performance of past free weekends ,I will not be buying yet.I can also wait for a free weekend until performance is good enough.

Digital Foundry awesome video

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Does texter even play sc?
    Asking for a friend.

cerebus23 likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    People who complain about others spending money on a game they want to see made are NARCISSISTS.

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    and the xmas and anniversary sale are coming up which is anywhere from 12 to 20 some million dollars infusion right there.

there are some ships they could sell at any point and make 10s of millions like the f8 civilian version with some excuse it had to military upgraded in game like the hornet. 200 250 ish dollar ship they could easily fluff to 350 carrack price range and people would buy it in droves.

offer the idris M and whales would drop 20 30 k on them.

there 2 million backers the backed from 250 million by next year wo a doubt, they could get a loan from any bank.

and they got 2 million backers that backed for 250 million some for MASSIVE amounts, it would not be a big thing to get investors.

the project is far enough along that corporate interference would not be the huge a thing not much they can do at this point really the games getting there. and the stretch goals and game features are set in stone and they could still keep selling ships.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's not their money.

I'm sorry...but who have traits of narcissism? Self-flattery...self-indulgence...arrogance...over-intellectulising a topic to justify the actions of being interested in said topic, to the point of making excuses for others involved in said topic...sounds like the vocal minority of Scam Citizen to me.

Y'know what a true-blue narcissist fears the most?

Being called out on their bull****.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    "People who complain about People spending money on a game those people want to see made are NARCISSISTS."

Purely because they take a situation that has no affect, impact or problem for them and make it all about themselves.

you wrote scam citizen, guess i hit home, Run along now, people with legitimate opinions are talking without resorting to juvenile crap slinging.

When you level up past that point into an adult and can hold a serious discussion you know where to find the thread

> can’t deal with reality because it contradicts what they want to be true - Check
    > likes to truncate the story and present only the bit where the aggrieved party reacted to their toxic behavior - Check
    > incredibly fragile when facing an idea that perhaps they did something wrong, especially if others can see it - Check

For the record, you took something said and made it about you, i didn't call you anything you pulled the words and wrapped them around yourself.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  15. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Maybe I should start another couple threads titled "Folks who actually play Star Citizen" and "Folks who want to bash Star Citizen"
    Its amazing to see the behavior here. So much hate for a silly GAME?
    I am excited about what they have done, are doing, and what's to come.
    The tech they have working so far is nothing short of remarkable.
    No matter if that means I need to sit tight and see what my 40 bucks brings over the next few years, I'm fine with that and while I'm waiting, I'll be enjoying taking part in this huge effort by lots of really talented people to bring it to a wider audience.
    I've been gaming since the late 70's, and when I think back to where I started, and what I started with, its even more remarkable where we are today.
    Have a great day everyone!

Backstabak and cerebus23 like this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Fallacious argument is fallacious. You are guilty (just in that post) of strawman and ad hominem. Re-read what you wrote.

I was referring to the people who have received the money, not the ones who have given it away for nothing in return other than virtual nothingness that can be infinitely restocked. Why O Why would I choose the wording of "It's not their money" if I was referring to consumers? Re-read what I wrote.

I am not the only person who has used that monniker ("Scam Citizen"), and I certainly cannot make the claim to it, and I have never said I did.

1) Far from it. I own a software development studio and have complete understanding of how one must set up a company and how company financing principles work. This is not news to other gurus, but if it is for you, I hold nothing against you at all and mearly put it forward as I have discussed the ineptitude and back history of CR and his cohorts many times.

2) Clarify. I do not know what moment in time you are referring to. Happy to retort and apps if I have missed out on something here, but I don't know what it is.

3) Ad hominem.

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ahh loopy lonely this am so he thought he would bait here?

your lifes really pathetic isnt it?

your like 4 years late, your not even trying to promote a video or website article with your clickbait half baked BS.

you like the people standing in the city screaming about the end of the world that is 3 days off but your just doing it for nothing they at lest are crazy enough to really believe their nonsense. your just bored.

used to act like you people when i was a toddler though, my father was gone my mother worked 3 jobs and i acted out at nursery school with baby sitters i was a demon. i wanted attention i was not getting at home. maybe you all will figure out you one day.

18. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    In one last time before this is closed....no hope here.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys!
    Like, love, dislike or hate Star Citizen .. it doesn't matter. If you spend money on the game and like it, hey who are we/you/me to argue? So, let's move away from the SC hate train and make room for people who enjoy the title in this thread.

The personal and weird insults need to stay away from this thread. This is a warning, please do not take it lightly.

Coolerking and Undying like this.
  20. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Finally a voice of reason.
    Thanks to the Boss for getting us back on track.
    I cannot wait to see what the game does on my new 5700xt!