BIOS 16MB vs 32MB AMD

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vestibule, Oct 15, 2019.

1. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    A up lads.
    I was wondering something.
    What exactly does it mean when the likes of a B450 mobo features a 16MB bios chip and a X570 features 32MB.
    I can only assume support for the latest Ryzens on a B450 mobo will be lacking??
    The poor cousin so to speak?

2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Support for 3k series isn't lacking on B450 however support for older series chips is I forget which ones they cut out but it's not any Ryzen chip.

3. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Ah, In that case why do the x5 mobos need 32MB bios chip?
    Anyone? :)

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Story goes that B450 boards we're given the 3X00 support and that allegedly occupied the whole BIOS flash chip, so they had to reduce the BIOS interface to bare minimum.
    The 32 megs chips are big enough to have all AMD+manufacture's bells and whistles

5. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    TY Lads. :)
    Yes, looking at my bios the interface is very basic. No glamour that you normally associate with an uefi bios.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Here is the MSI link if interested.
    https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

BETA BIOS OVERVIEW
    After you update to the beta BIOS, you might notice that the user interface is completely different compared to the version you had before the update.

Long story short, the limited BIOS ROM size made this necessary. We simplified the Beta BIOS interface to support as many processor models as we could, without exceeding the BIOS ROM. Although beta BIOS is a Click BIOS version (GSE Lite) with lower graphics and fewer icons than Click BIOS 5, you won’t lose access to any MSI exclusive features such as A-XMP, M-Flash, and Smart Fan Control.

Only the user interface looks different. Not the functionality!
    [​IMG]

user1, bobblunderton and vestibule like this.
  7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    basically the cpu microcode is much bigger on am4 than older platforms , so inorder to make sure that motherboards support future cpus , a larger bios chip is needed. a mistake on the part of either amd or the ai,bs lead to many b350 and x370 boards lacking a large enough rom to support the existing bios +new microcode, one of the things they did at the time, was remove support for the bulldozer based apus and athlons on b450 to make room for ryzen 2000/3000, though now they have done several more changes , such as removing debug features from the agesa and simpifying the ui(as seen in the thread) inorder to support ryzen 3000.

X570 is a little curious, since it does not support first gen ryzen, perhaps it needs the extra space for future ryzen 4000 cpus.

vestibule likes this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    If they would provide a basic tool to get the specific microcode in your BIOS, you could save 99% of the microcodes.

You probably use 1 or 2, maybe 3 CPUS on a board before buying a new one.

tool.exe + microcode.bin + raw_bios.rom = final_bios.rom

Or they could provide 2 files per BIOS, split it per generations or whatever.

9. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    I actually like the left-hand one over the right-hand one.
    Never understood why every brand changed from the classic "blue background yellow text" bioses.

386SX likes this.
  10. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Same here. In my Strix x370-f 's BIOS I have to disable the "Setup Animator". It stutters (!!!) with the effects if not. :confused:
    I liked the Intel EFI BIOSes on X79. Old look with new features, snappy, simple.

Btw. : Does anyone of you remember the times when mainboards came with BIOS manuals? Real manuals on paper, explaining BIOS options and stuff? I miss those times ...

patteSatan likes this.

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    16MB shoud be enought for almoust anything. Its bad lazy coding nothing more. think about what they did with 640kb and floppy