Help deciding which card to keep (1080 Ti or 2080)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Exostenza, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I have a situation where I could either keep my MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB or swap it out for a brand new MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio 8GB (note: not super). There is absolute no money involved here so financials is of absolutely no importance here. I am gaming on a 2560x1440 144hz HDR monitor for reference.

My thoughts are that the 1080 Ti has 3GB more VRAM and we are already seeing games like Division 2 cut well over 8GB of RAM playing at 1440p while I also play VR from time to time which we all know uses a large amount of VRAM. As for the RTX 2080, although it has 3GB less VRAM, it seems to pull around 5-10% better in modern games (I have only benched Division 2, Rainbow 6 Siege, 3D Mark Time Spy, and Ghost Recon Wild Lands) which is definitely a plus. Considering I could not care less about ray tracing as it stands, DLSS is dead, and when (and if) ray tracing actually becomes used frequently I know that the RTX 2080 is definitely going to be too under-powered to play any of the games at 1440p and at least ~120 FPS which I am accustomed to I hesitate to keep the 2080 because it seems that most reviews tend to mention how 8GB is just not going to be enough in the future and it would be nice to not have to upgrade my GPU for a few years so that extra 3GB on the 1080 Ti is leaving me unable to make this decision on my own.

If it was up to you to pick up one of these cards and put it in your gaming rig without any monetary consideration, just raw gaming power, which one would you choose?

Any and all feedback will be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I swapped all my GTX1080Ti's for RTX 2080 cards and I like the RTX thing.Although in a few games GTX1080Ti is faster than RTX 2080,something you would never notice unless you benchmark and looking at every FPS number,plus RTX 2080 is just newer card and new games run better probably.Lots of benches on youtube.

So RTX 2080 play a few RTX games and buy a new card when Cyberpunk comes out.

3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Just keep the 1080ti, rtx isn’t so great on current gen, especially on only a 2080. It will improve vastly over the next few generations and by that time you’l want a new card anyway. More vram on the 1080ti as a bonus.

HARDRESET likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Swap it and take 2080. Its faster and rtx can be fun.

5. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    If it's no cost, swap them. The 2080 is faster than the 1080Ti and it has the ray tracing also.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Swap. If tested, newer hardware is always better. And at 2560x1440 there won't be many games that will even remotely fill those 8gb of vram.

Besides 2080 is slightly faster. Which is a win/win situation.

7. norton

norton Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    rtx 2080 will be a better choice even if they mostly equal in performance (neglecting ray tracing) you will have a better value than 1080ti if you decided to sell it later

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I’ve found ray tracing to be a bit of a dud to be honest, fun to play around with but i’m yet to actually leave it on for a play through. Too much of a performance hit esp. if your wanting to make the most of 144hz. DLSS seems to just improve perf. at the cost of image clarity. Never know though, coming titles might actually be better, aka Cyberpunk. So may as well just swap it, a bit of fun at the least as peeps have said. ;)

9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I would definitely switch to RTX 2080 even if performance would be a little slower, but ray tracing as a bonus is always welcome. If performance gets too slow with it, you can always disable it.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

11. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Looks like even though the 1080 Ti has a bit more RAW power and 3GB more VRAM it seems that nVidia is focusing on optimizing games on the 2080 over the 1080 Ti. So, even the 1080 Ti initially was better, due to the lack of Pascal support in nVidia drivers and the focus on Turing the 2080 is now doing better than the actually stronger 1080 Ti so I will swap it out for 2080 for now. Worst case scenario I will get more when I sell the 2080 sown the road for (hopefully) a better AMD card.

Thanks for the input!

airbud7 likes this.
  12. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    2080, better card, better resale value.

13. TiePhiter

TiePhiter Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 LC
    Considering how much of a joke RTX is, I'd go go for the 1080 Ti. Also, in what game does a 2080 Non Super beat a 1080Ti by 5 and even 10%. I call BS on that.

1080Ti beats 2080 Regular, and 2080 Super beats 1080Ti.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I too would stick with the 1080ti, the extra ram sells it.
    And RT performance isnt good enough yet.

15. Eeek nope, 2080 m8

16. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    I’ll go with 2080, extra 3 gb of vram in 1440p isn’t relevant except for division 2, but you also can drop the texture and level of detail a little, it doesn’t hurt your eyes much.

17. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I swapped over to the 2080 and I every benchmark I do I get about an ~8-9% higher in all my games while 3dmark shows exactly that - ~9%. Also, that is before overclocking. With a slight overclock I am probably looking at around maybe ~15% better. It seems to me that nVidia has either been neglecting the 1080 Ti or actively gimping it because it most definitely used to beat out the 2080 by ~5% in most game a year ago. Only thing I have had to do is lower the graphics settings on Resident Evil 2 and The Division 2 because they both use more than 8GB of VRAM. The little boost in performance across the board is nice, but already having to down some gfx settings due to lack of VRAM is a bit concerning as I want to keep whatever card for at least another year or two... maybe even longer.

I will probably stick with the 2080, but am not certain. Maybe I'll put my 1080 Ti back in and retest some games but it seems definitive that other than the lack of VRAM which is already an issue in a few games, the 2080 is the faster card.

Thanks for all the input.

pimpernell and cryohellinc like this.
  18. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Well I did a battery of tests and the 2080 is just barely faster than the 1080 Ti in most games and that tiny increase in performance comes with a 3GB drop in VRAM which is a concern for the future as I don't plan on buying anything new for a while. I am back again to not knowing what to do. I currently have the 1080 Ti in the PC right now...

So far Rainbow Six Siege, The Division 2, and Resident Evil 2 have been limited by the 8GB of VRAM on the 2080 and going ahead games should be using more VRAM not less. Also, I didn't even test VR which needs a huge amount of VRAM. So, for a card that I plan on keeping for a while is it really worth the tiny increase in performance over the 3GB of VRAM? I don't know... I currently have the 1080 Ti in my rig right now and am just as confused as what to do as when I started.

One interesting thing I noted is that the 1080 Ti had much higher lows than the 2080, so although it may not have achieved as high FPS in a lot of games it also didn't dip as low which may be just as or more important?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You mean 1080ti.

Bear in mind there are supposed to be VR enhancements with Turing.
    It would be wise to see how much effect they have.

20. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Id go for the 2080.