Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Unfortunately the reasons for stuttering are plenty.

2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Yep.I'm out of ideas.Has to be the game at this point.

I already disabled sysmain/windows search/all overlays/gamebar.Anything that could cause stutter basically.

PC power on maximum performance/same for gpu.

Its a hit or miss sometimes with apex.Sometimes I get games with multiple stutters and sometimes not.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I just upgraded the memory in my laptop from a set of GSkill Ripjaw DDR4-2400 2x8GB to HyperX DDR4-2933 2x16GB modules, and I've noticed in gaming that my fps fluctuations in gaming has flattened out, and tends to deviate a lot less.

4. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    can only speak for myself, but putting too much (gpu & xhci devices) to "high" makes games (r6) microstutter for me. No difference in mouse feeling.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats not surprising, if you're prioritising input and graphics too much then audio and data i/o are choked.

kurtextrem likes this.
  6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
  7. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    [​IMG] In my case they are on high by default. hmm.

8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I take it unticking the "msi" box reverts everything to default,correct?Just to be sure.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only storage controllers. On my rigs SATA controllers are on high priority as well.

Not to default - to legacy mode. I mean not all devices are on legacy mode by default.

toyo likes this.
  10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    What I ment was the way they where before ticking MSI mode.I'm asking because I unticked MSI mode for my GPU because I'm trying some stuff on everything "default" As in before I ever used the programme.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

11. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Interesting, I wonder why, the NVMe controller is the only thing on High by default for me, the SATA AHCI controller on a z370 is Undefined.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be it is configured according to attached disks?

toyo likes this.
  13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Could be. I have a 970 Evo Plus NVMe on the only M2 slot the motherboard has, and on the SATA ports I have an 850 Evo and 2 HDDs. This is how it looks, the only customization is putting everything to MSI mode (that means for me the GPU and the Nvidia HD Audio thing, I believe. There's a chance that the Realtek HD Audio codec was also not MSI, but it was pretty long ago I installed that so I can't be sure.

[​IMG]

14. Some important news about Windows Line Based vs Message interrupts (msi)
    By a Microsoft Employee, this info came in handy with a friend of mine from Google, a friend of mine that had an interest discuss with a Microsoft Employee

Text:

MSI produces improvements only on PCI-Express cards in which there's parallel transfer
    because they're actual PCI-Express slots mounted on the PCI BUS
    while other cards like integrated audio, sata controller, etc.
    they're connected directly to the PCI BUS and use serial transfer
    so MSI mode is useless for those
    and MSI can even cause problems
    if enabled on integrated peripherals
    in specific workloads and scenarios in which a device is waiting for another device
    so it's +latency
    and more interrupts
    some people with MSI enabled on SATA Controller experience 100% disk usage without reason
    that's one of the scenarios
    in which MSI causes problems with interrupts.

And Because of this discuss, this employee of Microsoft will add sooner info/post about why MSI mode is not good for integrated Peripherals

Cheers.

toyo likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    MSI mode improves audio and storage controllers by removing the wait for a ISR to complete before performing the service.

removing these waits makes the system less busy as tasks get done without formin traffic jams.

And just because someones a microsoft employee, doesn't mean they are a hardware literate engineer.

mbk1969 likes this.

16. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Interesting. So it would make sense for NVMe SSDs and maybe GPUs?
    Why then on a clean install of Windows 10 pretty much everything but the GPU and the HD audio gets set on MSI? Somewhat weird.
    Also, the mode never created problems for me, at least none that I can observe. It doesn't seem to create any differences that I can observe either. At least for me it's a "newer, maybe better" thing I do.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    The text x58haze re-posted is nonsense. There is no PCI bus in PCI-Express. PCI bus was a parallel bus. PCI-Express bus is serial bus. Each PCI-Express lane is serial. And each PCI-Express lane is independent from each other.
    MSI mode as Astyanax stated just improves the interrupt handling in OS kernel.

Jackalito and toyo like this.
  18. Hey guys, hope not being sound like an arrogant guy, just because I shared a text from this guy from Microsoft Who's my friend's friend.

But by being honest, I don't know, but all I remember was that, before I've apply this MSI mode in the past, And I noticed that , I've always had like 3-4 device already in MSI mode, which where integrated peripherals such: Audio, Realtek lan, some AMD PSP, and SATA. And now as I put all the integrated peripherals back to Windows Line based, and leaving only the PCIE Express/physical devices stuff in MSI MODE

Now my latency maintains lower and the gaming experience is smoother, in fact, the way the storage is working and the USB response time is amazing!

Also it seems that this guy from Microsoft, as I state, he will created a post about this; "Windows-Line-Based vs Msi" and in the next Windows upgrade, they will assign a rule to avoid integrated peripherals to be set as MSI mode, and remain as Windows Line Based

So is not just about Low latency, it is important to pay attention to benchmarks and also do countless test, Cheers and have good night/day

PS: Sorry for my poor/ugly grammar ^_^
    Peaceā™„

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2019
  19. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Hey my friend @mbk1969 sorry to bother you, is this config ok? the priority ones.

[​IMG]

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I would set high priority for audio controller only in case of some troubles with audio.
    And you have too many SATA controllers - do all of then have disks attached? If not you can disable unused ones either in BIOS or in Device manager. Are they all Intel ones or some of them are 3rd party ones?