Intel Xe IGP to Double Performance Opposed to Gen 11 - Desktop parts likely to get Raytracing support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It does need a lot of engineering but I wouldn't say it's being done on a friday afternoon. Raja was hired in 2017 and the product isn't being released until 2020. Intel has a ton of resources on top of already having existing IP.

Think of Ryzen for example - Bulldozer was the building block they started off with - catching it up to Intel wasn't too hard because the team working on Ryzen already knows all the architectural deficits and what they need to do. Raja is going to look at what Intel has in the iGPU space, use what he knows about architectures from GCN/Apple and just build the differential parts up. On top of that Intel is going to throw him a budget probably twice what he had on AMD - which means he's going to hire a ton of engineers to help him do it.

I don't think it's going to be a challenge for Intel to be competitive. Will it beat Nvidia/AMD? Maybe not in direct performance but i'm sure it will be price/performance competitive.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes... I kind of didn't think about Intel's budget... they can easily hire engineers if that's what they want to do.
    I just had the impression that Intel's iGPU never was really good out of my experience (from a few years back, I have to admit), not comparable to the Ryzen 2400G that I use these days. And then they enter the market "just" 3 years later... it felt like too little time since, as you give the example, the time between Bulldozer and Ryzen was way longer than three years, more like a decade iirc. Hence I doubted Intel's prowess in such a short time. But with the right budget, manhours can be bought on the bulk, and certainly, an experienced engineers experience saves time too.

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Why is every site saying Intel is talking about Xe performance here?
    The slide clearly states it's 10th gen with Iris Plus vs 8th gen with UHD 620, in other words Gen11 vs Gen9.5

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The time between bulldozer and ryzen doesn't equate to the time spent on developing ryzen. According to AMD, they spent 4 years before releasing it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. I'd assume as others stated the hiring of engineers from AMD but one theory I'd had was and this wouldn't be the first time it'd been done... it is possible Intel bought out another company who'd been working on Dgpu solutions for another market in someplace somewhere and or a graphics division of another company. I'd imagine I'd have seen an article about this but who knows... I don't think the story about MS buying the manufacturing arm of Nokia broke right away.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    At the moment, Intel is in no position to confirm much of anything about its "upcoming" discrete GPUs, I should think.