Windows 10 - Tips and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If you log in with a MS acct, your activation is stored there as a digital license, making it easy to reinstall. If you need to change the hardware, you can also delete the digital license, and install using the Win 7 code if needed. Makes managing your activated licenses real easy.

Or you can do it the long boring way of phone activations and writing down license codes.

2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    You don't actually have to use a Microsoft account to log in to Windows to store your digital license. I use a local offline account and mine is stored in my MS account. I think it got linked to my MS account because I added my Outlook account in Email & Accounts in Windows although I don't remember doing that. :D It has been 4 years now.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yah i plan to just use the media creation exe to upgrade the win 7 system to win10

I am aware of that for retail keys I do link it to MS account but after it linked I just use local account, and unless I cant get to active I dont use MS account to login.not sure much reason for OEM key that will only work for one system but I sure it would be good idea in case you change to mane gpu or somthing, but nothing major like cpu.mobo

yah once it linked there no reason to really use MS account to login as it already linked at thought it just so people can have " cloud" saves of there setting and what not that I dont use

4. Rootkalk

Rootkalk Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    You can upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 without creating MS,everything is free,Google and Youtube have some video tutorials that you can check out.
    Such as :
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq
    https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/free-upgrade-to-windows-10.html

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Win 7 ultimate to Win 10 Pro upgrade still works, using the media creation tool and selecting upgrade this pc does exactly that still, Win 10 is active on that PC Now. I guess they left free upgrade from win7 to win 10 secretly active.

Blackfyre likes this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is there any way to make the text that displays at the top of Windows Photo Viewer that displays the name of the image file, to make it go back to the middle like Windows 8 for example, instead of it being pushed all the way over on the left of the screen?

[​IMG]

RzrTrek likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Insert 100 space chars into the name of the file?
    On the serious note, I doubt you can do it without the change of app code.

8. Daminen3

Daminen3 Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop but I didn't get sounds on it. How can I recover this issue asap?

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried to install drivers for audio controller from notebook OEM site?

Daminen3 likes this.
  10. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-10-activation-methods-overview.421057/

Method 3 is offline mostly. No MS account needed. Hardware hash is stored on MS servers. Next reinstalls click on "I don't have a key" and you get activated by that hash when online.

My favorite way of activation.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Sorry for your loss (some files can be restored probably, but the procedure is not quick).
    Next time you will know better - to unplug all drives with valuable data.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  12. Daminen3

Daminen3 Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    I didn't install drive yet. I think drive is already installed in my laptop isn't it?

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not really. Windows driver store can miss drivers for your sound card.

Daminen3 likes this.
  14. Daminen3

Daminen3 Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    Oh, may be missed it. I didn't think about it yet. Anyways, I read a few articles online about windows 10 sound issue. Here is an example site https://windowsmaximizer.com/blog/no-sound-windows-10/ My question is: This kind of articles can help help me to recover my sound issue? Thanks!

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    First things first: you need to be sure that drivers are installed. Because if they are not you have no issues.

Daminen3 likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    How do I take ownership of services so I can have control of my pc?

[​IMG]

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try doing it from regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WaaSMedicSvc

Might have to edit permissions on the key, then change the "Start" value, looks like 4 would be disabled as it is set to 3 for manual and manual is 3rd down the list, disabled is 4th

KissSh0t likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was actually just about to edit my comment to say that I had figured it out hehe.. after reading this https://www.maketecheasier.com/full-ownership-windows-registry-keys/

Got to love the Microsoft hand holding.... or more accurately... wont let go.

Extraordinary likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not hand holding, the keys are protected in this way from malicious manipulation.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It was stopping me from doing with my pc what I want to do, if that is malicious manipulation then I guess that is what I am doing to my pc to have control of it....

What was happening was I was disabling the "Windows Update" service, but the "Windows Update Medic Service" kept re-enabling the Windows Update service, I was unable to disable Windows Update Medic Service but now I have learned how too and so far Windows Update service has not been altered again without my input, no more hand holding.

Extraordinary likes this.