Intel 16MB BIOS size restriction also - removes BIOS support for Core i5 7640X and i7 7740X (Kaby Lake-X).

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No one even bought these cpus. These ware on the gn worst of the year list. Wtf was Intel thinking.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Those are some complicated to read CPU names. Maybe Ten Nine Eighty and Ten Nine Fourty is the easiest to say.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wait those were real CPU’s?

Fender178, airbud7 and rl66 like this.

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Them are some classy naming schemes... for the lazy marketing.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Wait Intel has actually been bothering to produce these all this time? Even during their whole issue keeping up with production? I figured they were only going to make a few hundred of them back when the only CPU available for X299 was the 7900X.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes it was CPU on X299 that were almost twice the price of their 1151 equivalent and were restricting the X299 motherboard due to lack of lane.
    To be short you had a 1151 system at X299's price :) a real bargain lol

8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    They really only had one target audience: Overclockers, because the one benefit being on 2066 was a much beefier power delivery through the socket. But obviously making an production CPU for such a small audience was a bad idea.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That post was sarcasm.

rl66 likes this.
  10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i think the value of having new cpu support on older motherboard overweight the loss, exactly like on amd case where some 320s and 350s dropped support for first gen ryzen to get the third.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Maybe it's an idea to cut down on products.

Just have a range of CPUs within the same name but different prices if one boosts less than the other.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Intel is starting to cleanup their house of all the trash they produced over the last 10 years.

Imagine the rotten stink in there...

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I might be reading this wrong but why pull support for those cpu from motherboard bios? I get the cpu going EOL, kind shitting thing to do to people that bought them to even had support pulled from them motherboards too even if it due to running out space on the bios memory.

Basicly people that have those cpu and actual keep up with bios updates are screwed to never see new bios? if the chipset supported when it was announced it should support it till the day the chipset is no longer supported/updated if the board never had that support in first place then it dont mater

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm surprised people are discussing the CPUs rather than the fact that these companies had the balls and complete lack of respect and morals to crap out boards with only 16MB for the BIOS. The cost for a proper one is negligible, guess they wanted to keep the cost at nothing since they all have enormous dumpsters full of those 16MB chips and have for many years now. Instead they prefer to spend their "budget" on dumb crap.

Like my MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon: It has TWO 8 pin power connectors when it's literally impossible for it to pull how much 2 of those can deliver, and it's more than even a 16 core chip would need. But the UEFI? 16MB chip. The UEFI had to be cut down the 1980s style BIOS along with cutting support for several chips in order to add support for Zen 2. And it's the only BIOS chip on the board... SOLDERED, not socketed. This is the first board I've had in over 4000 years which doesn't have dual socketed BIOS chips. I would have much preferred that instead of superficial BS which does literally nothing.

15. - This

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah those processors were a waste of space because there were CPUs with alot more cores and threads this time around. Back during the Sandy and Ivy bridge E days It made sense to have 4c 8t CPU because there was a max of 6c/12t at the time. The only people I have seen use this CPU is tech YouTubers. I think It was Jayztwocents that used one in a gaming VR rig that he had hooked up to his TV. Even he was ashamed to used one. I do agree the way that Intel is ending the CPU's life is rather odd. The only good thing that came out of this is the wide margin of CPU upgrades one could do.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes because on previous entusiast chipset (X79 and X99) the lowest model used to add something over mainstream high end (exemple quad channel memory) , and on those two CPU there was the same thing than less expensive mainstream high end and even limit the chipset in PCIe lane and memory channel AND quantity of ram... But in price they were % way more expensive than predecessor gen, it's not because it's from intel but this was a legal robery.

Exept those 2 the rest of the line were nice and still kick in. Too bad they make a different socket for Xeon high end.

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I
    I love the 1980s bios style tho.
    So many unnecessary things in today uefi. Just extra layer of softwares with possibly security problems.

rl66 likes this.
  19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    at least so far the ones getting cut are the "useless " cpus like the bristol ridge cpus on amd and those on intel never made any sense , but darn .... i mean come on with the 16mb roms .... how much did they saved by using 16 mb instead of 32 mb ... they sure buy in bulk too ....so maybe they saved .... 5 penies ... ? 10 cents ? if they cheap out on such component do i want to know what they do on other ones ?