RTSS and Freesync behaviour

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Synoxia, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    When i fps cap Freesync and use RTSS, MSI overlay tells things are apparently working fine with perfect frametimes but i still experience a slight microstutter.
    If i open up monitor OSD it shows that HZ are not in sync with the game's FPS/frametimes

this user experiences the same behaviour
    Which tells me that either freesync just doesn't work properly with RTSS or this user have the same broken behaviour.
    Tell me what you think Unwinder, please. Thank you.

p.s: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/freesync-is-broken.424805/ main thread if anyone is interested in my freesync craze started almost 1 year ago.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    In your post (wrongly placed in the development thread) you show the fps is not what your monitor displays on it's own menu.

You know how fps are calculated?
    It is an average over that last 1s (1000ms).
    If you want to see if there are any microstutters you can't rely on fps, you have to look at the frametime (yet better frametime graph), which shows every single time it takes to render a frame.

And freesync, as you mention you are using it, is in no way to counter microstutter but tearing only.
    If you don't want to have microstutter (in a single gpu system), you should aim for a capped fps which suits your needs and doesn't stress the GPU too much. Leave enough headroom to cover up heavy duty frames so your GPU won't raise frametimes (losing fps).

edit: corrected brain farts

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Andy, I think you meant "frametime" a couple of times. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Andy_K likes this.
  4. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @gedo bugger! ‍
    Yep, 100% correct. did correction in the post.

5. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    You're welcome. The whole point of using RTSS is making frametimes more stable, what i've shown is that when you use RTSS, fps AND frametimes (obviously?!) are not in sync with monitor.

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Forget about freesync (variable frametimes) on your monitor
    As I already posted freesync is not about microstutter.

If you cap at 60fps and it won't go under 60fps then you don't need freesync and you don't experience microstutter, except something else in the background, like AV scan, etc., would hog your system.

7. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    I have freesync. Most vsync implementation suck and add tons of input lag, i need freesync and i need to be properly in sync as long with a stable frametime.
    My system is PERFECT, no hog completely debloated and optimized fresh install, latmon averages about 30-40 ms while gaming and maxes at 120 rarely.
    The microstutter i experience is very very very subtle, won't bother most people but does to me

8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    This is a paradox.
    I have nothing more to say.

9. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    Stop the trolling, please.
    That's obviously a misspell.\
    I need Freesync/gsync = monitor hz in sync with fps/frametimes AND stable frametimes. example 60hz with 60fps, 16.6 ms.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    RTSS will present the frame at the correct frame time. However, what the OS/driver/GPU will do with it is not controlled by RTSS.

There was a comment floating around by an AMD employee a while ago that freesync doesn't like frame capping. AMD recommends to run uncapped when using freesync. Maybe that's why you get microstutter, I don't know. Does it happen with other frame limiters as well, or only RTSS?

11. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    Monitor OSD shows monitor's hz. Only rtss, in-game cap with something like FFXV (Which has somehow good framepacing) produces the best results with good framepacing and correct monitor Hz, while RTSS makes the 2nd video behaviour happen.

12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Just take it as RTSS is evil. And don’t use this crapware.

13. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    So, you have been peaceful and nice with all the trolls on reddit, now why are you trolling someone that respects your work?
    Whole point of the thread isn't RTSS is crapware but rather why freesync + rtss don't act as expected

Smough likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Because AMD drivers something something.

FFXV has good framepacing?

did i slip into a vortex? is this backwards land?

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Actually that's you who accused Andy_K of trolling and caused me to reply to you. Doing that to the person who actually tried to help you is not a way of respecting anything.

16. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    How else you could call that sentence? Does it add something to thread?

@Astyanax yes, not as good as RTSS but better than most games im trying out there and seems like freesync likes in game cap better than RTSS, or atleast that's what monitor OSD makes me believe as HZ are not unstable like when capping with RTSS. FRTC is what syncs best with the monitor but it doesn't provide any framepacing.