Raja Koduri hints at June 2020 Intel Xe graphics card launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Rory Reads doing.

Denial likes this.
  2. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    [​IMG]

When Raja Koduri was asked how long until XE is released.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Huh? GCN was absolutely fantastic for compute purposes (though, I would argue TeraScale2 was better, or could have been anyway). GCN, as an architecture hardware, is good (not amazing, but good). The problem ultimately came down to the Windows drivers for gaming, which AMD (and ATI) was never good at developing.
    The Linux drivers, on the other hand, are very solid, and improve on a monthly basis. 5 years ago, Nvidia was pretty much the only sensible choice for Linux gaming. Today, Nvidia is actually getting difficult to recommend.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, he did lead it. And kept it up 3 more years than it should have lived. Because when you design architecture that starts with 2048SP and can max out at 4096SP at most, you made something very short lived.
    AMD had nowhere to go from start other than clock and optimization here and there.

Honestly, intel can and likely did throw a lot of money on it. And that mainly means a lot of capable people. Stating that Xe is his success would be hyperbole as much as saying that it was just his failure of foresight with GCN. But surely, he was one to not admit soon enough that GCN has hard to overcome limitations and they were getting nowhere.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no he didn't.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    He left AMD 2009, GCN was already in works by then for 2011 release. Rejoined in 2013.
    That is unless you want to state that he was actually responsible for VLIW4 known as HD 69X0 which was DOA. And was only used in APUs afterwards due to lower transistor count and some improvements over VLIW5.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Raja was a nobody in the time pre 2013 that he worked for AMD

8. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    SJW goofy pronoun stuff aside, I think "Xe" is mean to be derivative of "Xeon". So I'm betting Xe is the name of the core and workstation/compute model GPUs. Probably some other naming scheme (Iris, HDxxx, ?) for consumer cards when / if those happen.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Do we know yet what range of card(s) they plan to release? Low end, high end, whole spectrum?

10. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Nice strawman there, you know nothing about me, but apparently noticing something that you can commonly see if you at least use internet is somehow bad and I need help. But let me put your worries to rest, I don't think Xe is actually in any way related to the silly made up pronoun, I just found the naming somewhat funny.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    None of this changes anything, as i said, there was never once in the entirety of GCN cards that enticed me to buy an AMD GPU.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, that isn't what you said before, at least it wasn't made entirely clear. The part off you not being interested in GCN was made clear, but, I was responding more to the parts that were more generalized.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm speaking as a consumer, as myself and for myself, not for any compute stuff, etc. Not really sure what was unclear.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Probably so, I couldn't care less about what it's called, numbers speak more than anything else.

Ahh good to know I don't have to worry. I just didn't think about it, even though using the internet, because apparently I tend to not focus on such things. But I think I got you wrong there, my bad.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Wiki says about him:
    That's rather interesting position for "nobody".

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Intel is supposedly intending to release GPUs covering every market. Supposedly, they will pick a market to start with and build out a product portfolio from there. Given that there's another article talking about "Gen 12 iGPU", I'd expect they're going to start at entry level/integrated in the consumer market and attempt to scale up.

0blivious likes this.