Just got my MSI Evoke 5700 XT..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by shadex, Oct 8, 2019.

1. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Hola:

I tried various of games with mixed results with my brand new MSI Evoke 5700 XT. Breakpoint works just fine since it's an exclusive AMD titles. I decided to run other games to see if I ran into other problems.

Turns out, I was correct. I am currently having a very hard time getting Shadow of Tomb Raider to run; it would show a green screen and my PC would just lock-up - had to reboot. Quake Champion had the same problem so I had to lower the graphic setting to prevent such lock-up by using auto detect feature in-game.

- Control works just fine -- no issues with max settings.
    - 3D Mark works just fine.
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider -- green screen, lock-up irrespective of the settings.
    - Breakpoint - works flawlessly on ultimate.
    - FFXV works just fine on max setting.
    - Quake Champion fixed.
    - Destiny 2 is fine.

EDIT: Shadow of the Tomb Raider was fixed by disabling DirectX 12. For the love of God.. LOL!

I am gonna test other games. Any ideas? Anyone have similar issues with MSI Evoke 5700 XT. I will update my specs shortly.

EDIT: Audio issue, especially Sound Blaster Z Control Panel, addressed by removing and reinstalling AMD driver. I shall marked that as fixed.

EDIT: My entire issue addressed by uninstalling and reinstalling AMD driver. FPS double, see post below. Note: this does not address my issue. See below for the final fix.

EDIT: had to uninstall MSI Afterburner to address this such issue. Now I am fkin' happy.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Haven't had any luck with D3D12 outside of a few demos with current drivers although it doesn't crash it just reverts to D3D11, clean install to 19.9.2 and then another clean install for the WHQL and from there to 19.9.3 and another cleanup for 19.10.1 just in case. I am using a insider build of Windows 10 too however with 18362.10022 and will be checking once 19H2 goes live again maybe with today's "Patch Tuesday" update routine even.
    (It shouldn't matter since it's still very close to 18362.3xx or the current branches just missing a small extra for switching it all on but it's a thing.)

CAS demo works fine for D3D12 but Anno 1800 and Division 2 revert to D3D11 at start, Vulkan works just fine though for Rage 2 and Surge 2 so far as does D3D11 although Uplay running via CEF or Chromium Engine Framework might be part of a ongoing issue with hardware acceleration and display corruption though no outright crashes or blue screens unlike what other users have reported.

D3D9 downclocks the GPU speed severely and has since the GPU launched (Almost near idle speed so for a few frames it might be doing almost nothing resulting in very bad framerates and also stuttering due to this.) though for drivers it's worth trying 19.7.x probably 19.7.5 and compare and then go up and see what you might land on when testing for stability though the fixes for Navi10 or the 5700 / 5700XT are spread out a bit so 19.10.1 is recommended if it works but the drivers overall need more work before the GPU can be fully recommended despite it's incredible speed and advantages even as a former Vega user here. :)

EDIT: That and since the Navi GPU's use a different D3D10+ .dll file and driver and with low-level API's and developer control older games might be a bit hit & miss and aren't updated anymore so they can't be supported and might be running older libraries (AMD_AGS.dll) that might also lack functionality for newer games or such though driver support might be able to at least work around issues with having them unplayable even if they aren't drawing on the full capabilities of Navi as such.

Essentially this change and the GPU also using RDNA as a new thing and many other changes and the launch status for these cards have been anything but smooth driver wise, four months but there are still a couple of issues that need to be a priority and get fixed as soon as possible but they're likely also not the easiest to resolve although I do hope it can be done before 19.12.1 and Adrenaline 2020 introduces additional features and might also introduce additional issues due to making further changes and then this needs to be resolved and prioritized too.

Yeah not the best news but I remain positive to the hardware and what the GPU and RDNA is capable of but the software side is not quite there yet making the hardware tough to recommend at least yet despite several good points too.

Many other users are running it just fine too and bios updates if using a AMD x570 motherboard should also resolve additional problems such as the compatibility with PCI Express 4.0 and having to dial this down to 3.0 in the bios though that shouldn't just affect D3D12 but overall system stability and might be improved as of 1.0.0.3 AGESA and bioses running this package. :)

EDIT:
    https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX/releases

GPU Open CAS demo software for D3D12 and VLK, takes a bit longer for the D3D12 one to start but both run fine here unlike those other games. AGS .dll shouldn't be too important as the changes are less extensive and it's not like every D3D11+ game uses AMD's little extension .dll either.

Other up to date D3D12 titles or benchmarks might also work to check on the API's status and functionality but for me this worked to confirm it's indeed loading.

EDIT:
    Oh right when doing the clean install there's two .inf files in the AMD driver and where you extracted all of those files, one's C*.inf for the classic driver to call it that and the other is U*.inf for universal or the new DCH system Microsoft is kinda pushing for becoming the new thing for driver distribution and handling.

AMD's install routine actually picked the DCH one which differs a bit in how it's installed and what gets installed and how it's set up and software like GPU-Z should be able to see and tell if the driver has (DCH) in it or not not that it should break anything but there's that as well. :)

Eventually it should become the only standard Microsoft supports for Win10 but for now both work and the script skips a few things unlike the regular INF so just to mention it.

Those would be a few reg keys and the service for that audio thing DSEManager which is less concerning though the registry stuff I am curious on plus it saves a few thing in the Windows folder and not the C:\Program Files\AMD folder too plus some general .dll driver locations but that's nothing much either.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    You are on 1903 & 19.10.1 drivers btw?

4. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Yup.

5. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Sound Blaster Z-series Control Panel constantly crashes after I installed MSI Evoke 5700 XT. This might be the theory why my games are having problem(s). Reason: it's so dangerously close to the backplate of my graphic card; gonna switch it to another PCI-e slot. For the love of God, I don't understand why MSI Tomahawk has 3 old PCI slots that no one uses it.. :confused: /shrugs.

Pic:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Fzo9BJS

EDIT: As for Sound Blaster Z-series Control Panel issue:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/sound-blaster-z-slow-control-panel.380355/

- That might answer my question, but I am not sure how to disable ULPS via registry.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    You can disable ULPS with Afterburner via settings at AMD compatibility properties.

Not permanent I think (reverts on reboot, unless you make AB run at startup) but at least you can use it to troubleshoot the issue.

7. Wait - so, 5700 XT is now supporting Crossfire?? I'm so confused I thought AMD dropped that.

implicit GPU mode (crossfire)

[​IMG]

8. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Should be getting my Sapphire XT today. Hope to be one of the ones with seemingly no issues :cool:

Undying likes this.
  9. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Fixed. Reinstalling fixed my issues. Just wow.. I learned my lesson. My FPS freaking DOUBLED! SOTR DX11(1080): 30 FPS. SOTR DX12(1080): 78 FPS.

Wow.

https://imgur.com/a/uAVJTDQ

Happy customer! Someone please tell one of the employees at AMD to slap dev or manager (whosoever..) in the face FOR not uninstalling drivers prior installing updated driver. Slap hard.. it's much needed. It's like yoga.

https://imgur.com/a/7tSmazw

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im glad its running better but you are getting bottlenecked by your ryzen 3. Your fps should be even higher. Im getting 63fps at the same settings with a 580.

11. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Yeah. I got bills in my way. I am planning to upgrade probably like next year..

Undying likes this.
  12. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    EDIT: I decided to format my computer because I was having issues with relive. Windows 10 Version 1803 solved this issue.

I decided to run a benchmark by running Shadow of the Tomb Raider using DX12. GREEN SCREEN! Damn. Okay. I rebooted my PC and ran the benchmark again: seems okay. I decided to play single player just to ensure it's running smoothly. NOPE! GREEN SCREEN! Damn. I will have to disable DX12. I will post more results here.

Ran DX11: same result. When I get to the point where there's a cutscene playing on the entrance to the first main town (Conzamle, Mexico - spelling..) - green screen popped up. Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    solid colour screens on Radeon cards are due to inconsistent power delivery, AMD deploys card firmware updates with driver packages so that might be needed, unless theres just an issue with your particular card.

14. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    I need to be informed about it regarding solid color screen - especially green. I contacted the manufacture and decided to swap for Shapphire 5700 XT and see if that resolves my issue. So you're ascertain it's my PSU that's faulty? I was able to run Geforce 1060 GTX 6 GB Gamer X with no issue. I have 750 PSU Watt from HP.

Here's a pix of it:
    https://imgur.com/a/KPvlhlh

Let me know.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Not the PSU, the power delivery on the card itself.

16. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    FIXED! MSI afterburner is responsible for green screen :(. Uninstalled MSI Afterburner for good.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should just have been the settings (Or so I'm fairly certain of.) but there's Sapphire TriXX if you now use a Sapphire GPU and you could also have tested to disable hardware access in Afterburner but for Radeon GPU's I believe this still disables a lot of functionality for adjusting various parameters but if uninstalling solved it then the issues fixed. :)

18. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Yeah. I wasn't aware of such issue between Radeon and MSI Afterburner. I never had any issues with Nvidia. LearnedSumthinNew.

19. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Sigh. Damn. Still got green screen of death. I ran furmark without any issues so far. I was playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint and then maybe 20 minutes later green screen of death showed up on my screen.

20. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Don't know what kind of memory temperatures you're getting, but it could be an issue...
    That channel is not the only one talking about the design. Could be OK in a very well ventilated case, though...